New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Nov 15, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #304 of 584
Hi there, I'm currently looking for a DAC/headphone amp for my DT 770 80 Ohm that's portable but also has an analog input option for using it in my turntable setup. The iBasso D14 and D-Zero MkII seem to be pretty much the only options available in Germany and within my budget fitting these requirements.
Now to my actual questions: Are my headphones good enough to make sufficient use of the improvements the D14 offers over the D-Zero, justifying the higher pricetag? Will the amp section of the D-Zero (or D14) be a noticable step up from my stereo receivers (entry level Denon PMA 500AE) phone output? And lastly are there any options besides the iBassos i have missed (up to 250€)?
Any help would be highly appreciated

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #305 of 584
Hi there, I'm currently looking for a DAC/headphone amp for my DT 770 80 Ohm that's portable but also has an analog input option for using it in my turntable setup. The iBasso D14 and D-Zero MkII seem to be pretty much the only options available in Germany and within my budget fitting these requirements.
Now to my actual questions: Are my headphones good enough to make sufficient use of the improvements the D14 offers over the D-Zero, justifying the higher pricetag? Will the amp section of the D-Zero (or D14) be a noticable step up from my stereo receivers (entry level Denon PMA 500AE) phone output? And lastly are there any options besides the iBassos i have missed (up to 250€)?
Any help would be highly appreciated

It might be worth testing your intended headphone & amp pairings on audiobot9000.com

For myself, I chose the D14 over the D-Zero II because I wanted the Sabre DAC so I cannot comment on the amp section.

Alternatives to iBasso which I have used & I am happy with are Electric Avenues PA2v2 or FiiO E12.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #307 of 584
How does the amp section compare to the classic P4 Warbler ?

Also in terms of power output, as I am unsure how to interpret P4's 600+600 at 32ohm.

I prefer to use this amp at home, so power outputs is important for full-sized headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-p4

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #308 of 584
I seem to have a problem running the D14 with an LG G2. I've tried USB Audio Pro and HiBY music; both do not work. My phone detects that a USB device is connected but doesn't do anything beyond that. Any suggestions? Using the default OTG cable supplied.

Edit: @hiflight I read that you've got your LG G2 working with the D14; are you using the stock cable? And which app are you using? I'm not running 5.0.2 though.

Waiting on a Nexus, sure hope it works! I'll update about Nexus support when it comes...

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #309 of 584
It works fine with my friends lg g2.
Are you on stock or custom rom? The default cable works fine on my z2pro.

I'm not sure but check this go to settings then scroll down to developer option then scroll down and enable USB debugging.

Now try your setup. I used to get some delay and freeze but issues went away with USB debugging enabled.

Still doesn't work?
Ok now in developer options scroll down and disable 'Disable audio routing' if it's enabled although I doubt its enabled unless somebody enabled it intentionally.

Note - while using hibby app other apps that should work with USB dacs won't work as the d14 becomes slave to host hibby. Which is I never enable hibby to use dac by default as sometimes I watch videos with d14.

Let me know how it goes

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #310 of 584
It works fine with my friends lg g2.
Are you on stock or custom rom? The default cable works fine on my z2pro.

I'm not sure but check this go to settings then scroll down to developer option then scroll down and enable USB debugging.

Now try your setup. I used to get some delay and freeze but issues went away with USB debugging enabled.

Still doesn't work?
Ok now in developer options scroll down and disable 'Disable audio routing' if it's enabled although I doubt its enabled unless somebody enabled it intentionally.

Note - while using hibby app other apps that should work with USB dacs won't work as the d14 becomes slave to host hibby. Which is I never enable hibby to use dac by default as sometimes I watch videos with d14.

Let me know how it goes

Thanks for your reply! Hmm I'll try it out.

I might have a lemon though. My D14 now doesn't work with my MBP via USB. Problem started after a few hours of operation. The was a sudden appearance of static on the left channel and I'd lose audio there.

Tried again after a few minutes and it was OK. Then it went out again.

This happened a few times. On the last time, I couldn't even get it to work. And when I connected my IEM, I could actually feel it get warmer on the left.

My IEM isn't the cause. I tested it with a different headphone too; also no audio when the issue occurs. And my IEM and Senn M2 both work fine with my other HP out jacks.

I'm gonna send it back to the distributor; when I get it back I'll test it with my G2 again (or maybe Nexus).

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #311 of 584
Had a chance to test out the D14 with my ponoplayer + Ether C. Gotta say I was mightly impressed. I'm seriously considering purchasing this, though I have a few queries:
1) Has anyone experienced any change or degradation in its sq and/or response as the battery drops to lower levels?
2) Any issues with using the dac + amp with Windows 10?
3) What's the battery life if it ran with high gain on moderate listening levels (dial at 12/1 o'clock)?

I'm hoping this will solve my laptop and ponoplayer problems.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #312 of 584
Had a chance to test out the D14 with my ponoplayer + Ether C. Gotta say I was mightly impressed. I'm seriously considering purchasing this, though I have a few queries:
1) Has anyone experienced any change or degradation in its sq and/or response as the battery drops to lower levels?
2) Any issues with using the dac + amp with Windows 10?
3) What's the battery life if it ran with high gain on moderate listening levels (dial at 12/1 o'clock)?

I'm hoping this will solve my laptop and ponoplayer problems.

1) mine works good without any change till the battery entirely empty
2) sorry don't have win10
3) It stick to what they announce

Question to owners : Do people using D14 via usb on android phones have a kind of crackling in the right earphone (or right headphone) when they increase the volume ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back