NEW! iBasso D-Zero Mk2
Feb 23, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #166 of 334
So basically one question here.

I've got a set of Philips Fidelio X2's and this iBasso DAC/AMP.

I'm wondering if the DAC/AMP is all I need (notably the iBasso) or if you folks would recommend upgrading to something like a Schiit stack?

Unfortunately I've never listened to anything more powerful than the iBasso, so I can't say whether or not I'm getting the full experience out of my Fidelio X2's or not.

Anyone's opinions are appreciated.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #167 of 334
With the schiit you would get a different sound signature. But in both cases (ibasso and schiit) they are powerful enough.

The X2 is known to be easy to power even by cell phones directly, so a medium/low power amp like the ibasso is enough.

Are you happy about how they sound together?

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #168 of 334
With the schiit you would get a different sound signature. But in both cases (ibasso and schiit) they powerful enough.

The X2 is known to be easy to power even by cell phones directly, so a medium/low power amp like the ibasso is enough.

Are you happy about how they sound together?

Yep, plenty happy. That's all I needed to know - if I end up getting a set of cans that the iBasso can't power then I'll look into getting a stack, or if I decide I want to dabble in tube amp's and whatnot.

As it stands I use my headsets for gaming as much as I use them for music, so changing the sound signature drastically isn't really something I'm interested in.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #169 of 334
Does anyone know any way to get a gain reduction on the MK2?  I use it with se846, which are very sensitive IEM's (9 ohm impedance).  Even with low gain, I hear hiss and cannot raise the volume past a couple notches before it's too loud.

Anyone know of any way to mod it to a lower gain?  I contacted iBasso about it, hope they can help some way.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #170 of 334
  Does anyone know any way to get a gain reduction on the MK2?  I use it with se846, which are very sensitive IEM's (9 ohm impedance).  Even with low gain, I hear hiss and cannot raise the volume past a couple notches before it's too loud.

Anyone know of any way to mod it to a lower gain?  I contacted iBasso about it, hope they can help some way.

I seriously doubt it, unless you can arrange a personalized tweak.

I hope in the future we can see more amps with three gain levels, the problem is when you have only two gain levels.

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #171 of 334
I have a somewhat similar problem. Prior to getting the MK2 I have an ODAC as i only had speakers. Now since i have IEMs, the MK2 comes in, so sometimes I pair the ODAC with the MK2 in amp-only mode and it sounds great if not better, with the Windows volume not more than 50%.

Problem is anything above 50% & there is severe clipping the higher I go. MK2's gain is set to 'low'. I know that the ODAC+O2 has a tendency to send itself into clipping due to volume pot after amp stage. Maybe MK2 has the same design, as it clips base on the set Windows volume, irrespective of MK2's vol pot position...

Is there a way to solve this problem? Would an impedance adapter between the ODAC & MK2 help? Also, I can solder pretty well, i just need to know what to mod (i suck at electronics). I really prefer the ODAC's DAC than the dual Wolfsons... But i love the amp of the MK2.

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #172 of 334
I have speculated in the past that a 40k ohm adapter for these mini-amps with 10k ohm pots may work well.  My main portable amp these days can handle the strong output of most desktop DACs, so I never got around to trying it out.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #173 of 334
hello is there anyone has compare it with d-zero mk1? for amplification section the d-zero seems too neutral to my ears 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #174 of 334
  hello is there anyone has compare it with d-zero mk1? for amplification section the d-zero seems too neutral to my ears 
rolleyes.gif

It is pretty neutral. The MII is more powerful and the dac section is better. The sound quality and amplification make it an exceptionally good buy. I use it with my Mac computer and get great sound. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #175 of 334

It is pretty neutral. The MII is more powerful and the dac section is better. The sound quality and amplification make it an exceptionally good buy. I use it with my Mac computer and get great sound. 

anyway as your current gears, which one is your recommended between fiio e12a or ibasso d-zero mkII for amplification section only? I just feel that old d-zero for amp section cold and not pleasant with female voice (paired with itouch 4th lod) 

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #176 of 334
I recently got myself a Sony Xperia Z3 compact tablet and want to enjoy a better quality of sound for my FLAC files with iems.
Last night I hooked it up via OTG to my NuForce HDP and was blown away by the improvement in quality - I understand it is in a whole different class, but will the D Zero MkII give me something to smile about? Thanks in advance

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #177 of 334
  I recently got myself a Sony Xperia Z3 compact tablet and want to enjoy a better quality of sound for my FLAC files with iems.
Last night I hooked it up via OTG to my NuForce HDP and was blown away by the improvement in quality - I understand it is in a whole different class, but will the D Zero MkII give me something to smile about? Thanks in advance

Definitely, the MKII punches well above its price range. Works perfectly with my Z2. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #178 of 334

Thanks for that lin0003.

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #180 of 334

Users who are viewing this thread

Back