New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Dec 6, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #451 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh* Bad news guys, the crackling has come back and has not stopped, even though i have tried cleaning the tube pins with isopropyl alcohol 3 times now.

Does this mean i need to a "proper" electronics cleaner? Like deOXIT? But i can't find that in Australia, unless i order it online but shipping will take a while.

I've been down to DickSmith and they really don't have anything suitable..

Are there any Aussies here that know where to buy a cleaner that will solve the crackling? ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

You can buy Deoxit from JayCar!

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #452 of 805
Does anyone know if its possible to buy a Little Dot directly from the factory? I'm actually visiting shengzhen in January, and was wanting to pickup a good tube amp whilst I'm there.

My main worry is counterfeit amps or craply built amps that'll blow my headphones apart in 1 minute.

Alternatively, I might just buy from a trusted audio store in HK like Mingo if its not too much more money.

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #453 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnuttz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some Markl Modded D2000's, and IMO the synergy is great with this amp. There is more than enough juice in this thing to handle complex bass pasages with these phones. No muddy bass. Nice channel separation.

I just swapped in some 408a tubes in place of the stock tubes, and my intial impressions are that they tighten up the bass and bring the upper mids to the forefront.

I have never heard my Grados sound as good either. This amp is a great deal for low impedance phones. Especially with the Live search discount.

How does it handle D2000's mids and treble energy?

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #454 of 805
Thanks Zeenuts! I went there to get some deOXIT.

BUT..I'm such a dumba**. I bought DeoxIT GOLD which i only realised is a conditioner and enhancer and not a cleaner. I tried using it(pen-form) on my pins but didn't see anything happening..I was pretty much just rubbing the tip of the pen against the pins. Man I'm so noob.

Plus the crackling has not really gone, it still comes up now and then. So i really don't know, should i go back to the shop and try and get the actual cleaner? Maybe they'll let me exchange this DeoxIT GOLD. ANY opinions will be appreciated as I'll be going to the shop's area tomorrow so I could stop by. Thanks!

Dec 8, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #455 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it handle D2000's mids and treble energy?

Quite well, with the setup I have. I don't find any deficiencies except that the treble may be very slightly laid back. I still have a bit more burn in time on my new tubes though.

I think I will be able to tweak this with some op amp rolling. We will see.

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #456 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Zeenuts! I went there to get some deOXIT.

BUT..I'm such a dumba**. I bought DeoxIT GOLD which i only realised is a conditioner and enhancer and not a cleaner. I tried using it(pen-form) on my pins but didn't see anything happening..I was pretty much just rubbing the tip of the pen against the pins. Man I'm so noob.

Plus the crackling has not really gone, it still comes up now and then. So i really don't know, should i go back to the shop and try and get the actual cleaner? Maybe they'll let me exchange this DeoxIT GOLD. ANY opinions will be appreciated as I'll be going to the shop's area tomorrow so I could stop by. Thanks!

I use Deoxit Gold on my tube pins and it works great. Get yourself a small brush and use it on the pins. Don't be afraid to scrub to make sure all the residue gets off...

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #457 of 805
I still don't quite get it. So i just keep rubbing the pen tip against the pins? But I don't see any liquid or anything coming out. It just seems be very dry. Did i get a faulty product? Or is it meant to be this way.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #458 of 805
Hey you brought the wrong product mate! What you should have got is Deoxit D100L & G100L they're in form of a nail polish bottle at 7.4ml. Jaycar has them as a package for $20Aud.

Apply small amount of D100L to tubes pins, wait a few minutes and then use a lint free cloth to rub against the pins until free of the black residue.

After that apply small amount of G100L to all pins wait a few minutes and wipe off the excess with a lint free cloth!

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #459 of 805
Based on this picture...

4.jpg

Is it safe to assume that op-amp over there in the middle of the PCB can be switched out with something else?

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #460 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it safe to assume that op-amp over there in the middle of the PCB can be switched out with something else?

Absolutely. I am trying to brainstorm a way to fit an HDAM in this thing. Mine is already soldered to something else, so I can't do a fit check, but a dual HDAM looks like it would not fit. The maniacal gears in my head are turning and wondering if I could fit two single channel HDAMs in there with extension leads and the proper adapter. Maybe its just wishful thinking.

Anybody have any single channel HDAMs where they could do a potential reality check?

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #461 of 805
The HDAMs i know of have the same baseplate as the dual ones.
So it does not matter sizewise.

BTW: i got my LD 1+ on last Friday and i am very happy with this great little...dot

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #462 of 805
Yeah, I found a picture earlier. Bummer.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #463 of 805
Dec 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #464 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey you brought the wrong product mate! What you should have got is Deoxit D100L & G100L they're in form of a nail polish bottle at 7.4ml. Jaycar has them as a package for $20Aud.

Apply small amount of D100L to tubes pins, wait a few minutes and then use a lint free cloth to rub against the pins until free of the black residue.

After that apply small amount of G100L to all pins wait a few minutes and wipe off the excess with a lint free cloth!

So i went back to Jaycar and exchanged my deoxIT for the $20AUD package. And it worked! For a day..and then the crackling started again..so i cleaned it again and it worked..for another day..and then it came back..

It's becoming quite annoying. Like its fine listening to rock etc but once i put on some classical, the crackling is so obvious. But then there are times when the crackling suddenly stops for like half an hour..and then starts up again. Does anyone know whats going on!? It maybe because i'm such a noob and don't know how to clean the pins properly but i followed ur directions, Zeenuts..i dunno hey. Could there be other reasons for the crackling other than dirty pins?

Edit: How often do you guys clean your tube pins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back