New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Nov 10, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #406 of 805
Hey guys, i finally ordered my LDI+ from david and should arrive in 1+ weeks. YES, finally a proper amp (other than fiio).

Do you guys seriously recommend tube rolling? Or would just using those stock tubes satisfy me?
smily_headphones1.gif
I was thinking maybe it would..since i have never experienced an amp other than my fiio..

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #407 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, i finally ordered my LDI+ from david and should arrive in 1+ weeks. YES, finally a proper amp (other than fiio).

Do you guys seriously recommend tube rolling? Or would just using those stock tubes satisfy me?
smily_headphones1.gif
I was thinking maybe it would..since i have never experienced an amp other than my fiio..

I'd recommend it! The stock tubes will satisfy you... for a while and then you'll want to know if you can get better sound. And you'll be curious what we're talking about... So get out your wallet and order some Sylvania Gold Brand 408a tubes! You know you want to!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #409 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

You can roll the op-amp too. Often cheaper, and they also have a large impact on SQ. It may lack the panache` of tube rolling and the "treasure hunter" aspects tho!
rolleyes.gif

There's also a dedicated tube and op-amp rolling thread for the LD 1+ if you're interested: Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #410 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by crzystng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only had mine going for a few hours now and am loving it coupled with the "upgraded" Zero.

Same here, and I think it's a great entry-level or starving-student combo. And plenty of room for tweaking with good Headfi community support, too.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #411 of 805
Got mine today!
Came with a UK plowercord, so i'll have to go out and get a new cord tomorrow. Really looking forward to hearing it in action.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #412 of 805
received mine today too
smily_headphones1.gif

so far i'm loving it.. hooked it up to my x-fi + ath-a900... i must say i'm happy now
smily_headphones1.gif

I know the x-fi ain't that great... but i think they just do fine... or am i wrong?

btw, i have the chance to buy the following:

Russian 6J1
the Mullard EF92
two Opamps (Opa 2134 + LM4562NA

Are these ok and should i go for it?

rgds,

Kenny

EDIT: btw, are the jumper settings correct by default for the default tubes?

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #413 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
received mine today too
smily_headphones1.gif

so far i'm loving it.. hooked it up to my x-fi + ath-a900... i must say i'm happy now
smily_headphones1.gif

I know the x-fi ain't that great... but i think they just do fine... or am i wrong?

Russian 6J1
the Mullard EF92

rgds,

Kenny

I got mine a few days ago and I'm also using it with the a900. The soundstage is fantastic. They used to be my games/movies phones but they're back into my music rig thanks to the I+. I'm using a pair of Siemens 6ak5w and they really bring out the vocals.

It doesn't hurt to check the jumper settings. Just unscrew the 4 bottom screws and the bottom cover should come off easily.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #414 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
received mine today too
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Russian 6J1
the Mullard EF92

rgds,

Kenny

Those will work fine although you'll have to change the jumper settings for the Mullard EF92 ...There are a few variants of the Mullard EF92 (big shield small shield etc) but I have a few and they seem identical to my Bugle Boys. They're a very nice tube IMO.. Most ppl here have purchased the Russian tubes with the suffix EV or EB(ruggedized version) and they seem to like them alot ...There's a set of 10 6J1-EV tubes on eBay right now for $22 including shipping....

Those two opamps will get u started nicely
atsmile.gif
into opamp rolling..

Those jumper settings SHOULD be set properly for the tubes that came with your amp but it never hurts to double check...

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #415 of 805
My Grado 225s were sitting unused on the shelf after being usurped by the Senn 580 and the AKG 501 but now they are really holding their own with the help of the 1+. Great synergy with low impedance phones for sure!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #416 of 805
Yes fantastic synergy with low impedance phones (Grados wow!), except my new ad2000s.. These phones sound better from my two external sound-cards..

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #419 of 805
Anyone try this with D2000? If so does it have a good synergy with them?

Also, can can anyone give me a comparison of the I+ with the starving student and/or the millet max.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #420 of 805
I have the LD I+ however it isn't even close to being burned in. I only have ~7 hours on the amps. To me the I+ displays a better/stronger power bandwidth and has a bit more clarity and depth than the upgraded Zero with the same amount of play time. The two together are a pretty good and relatively cheap combo that are worth their weight in gold IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back