New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Nov 6, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #391 of 805
Well, now somehow after a few 6 hour burn in sessions, my I+ has finally bit it. Output section just does not work - the LED will flicker and the headphones pop when turning it on or off. The tubes still glow though. I don't know what's wrong with it, but I doubt it's going to resolve itself on its own or through any simple fix.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #393 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, now somehow after a few 6 hour burn in sessions, my I+ has finally bit it. Output section just does not work - the LED will flicker and the headphones pop when turning it on or off. The tubes still glow though. I don't know what's wrong with it, but I doubt it's going to resolve itself on its own or through any simple fix.

The simplest things to check can sometimes be the answer. I had some trouble with my LDI+ at first. It turned out to be dirty tube pins and a misaligned jumper (I was tube rolling). I would first check the power cord to see if it is secured (it happens) then open up the amp and double check the switches and jumpers - flip the switches back and forth to the required setting and remove and reinstall the jumpers if applicable. If you are using NOS tubes or tubes that have been sitting around for awhile they may need cleaning. Otherwise, email David at Little Dot. He is usually very responsive and helpful.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #394 of 805
Yep, I've been back and forth emailing for a while. Checked through the jumper settings (picture attached); they're all at default with the stock tubes. Power plug's all the way in, I've cleaned the pins of, and have reseated the tubes a few times. This is with a brand new unit that sounded strange from the get-go. I should probably make a new thread, the way I'm narrating the problems I'm having...

I'm just waiting on David's response - he's been helpful so far, but unfortunately I think I'm going to have to return it for service. The defect/return rate on these are apparently very low, so I guess I'm just unlucky.

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #395 of 805
Yah, my first LD I+ had something weird happened to it a few weeks in; the tubes glowed, but the sound on the left side crackled and died. Something inside the unit liked to cause the havoc, so I sent mine away to CO (thankfully not China), and within a week I got a new unit, and this baby I'm listening through right now.
L3000.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #396 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I've been back and forth emailing for a while. Checked through the jumper settings (picture attached); they're all at default with the stock tubes. Power plug's all the way in, I've cleaned the pins of, and have reseated the tubes a few times. This is with a brand new unit that sounded strange from the get-go. I should probably make a new thread, the way I'm narrating the problems I'm having...

I'm just waiting on David's response - he's been helpful so far, but unfortunately I think I'm going to have to return it for service. The defect/return rate on these are apparently very low, so I guess I'm just unlucky.

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your amp -but don't give up on it. I don't have any experience with high end amps, but this has really been a step up from my LDII++ when used with my low impedance cans (MS2I). I've rolled in some fully burned in Ediswan EF92 and Mullard CV131's that I had been using in my LDII++, but the best sounding tubes I've used are the straight out of the box GE 408A's I got for a buck a piece. A lot more detail and bass impact than I had with the LDII++. Hope you get the problem resolved soon.

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #397 of 805
I'm a pretty patient guy, so it's not a huge deal. Seems like all my other stuff is falling apart around me anyway
biggrin.gif

I'll definitely check out those 408a's when I get it back. They look like a good value.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #398 of 805
I just got my I+ and it sounds amazing with my recabled d1001s. Even without burnin. Really happy right now
beyersmile.png

Using GE 408A tubes btw.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #399 of 805
I guess i need to change my tubes.. The 6J1's now sound more refined and are still kicking. But a mellow dryness and fatiguing treble still disturb me a little..
Guess I should start rolling..
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a set of WE408A's waiting..

-K

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #400 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far i've only listened to my music with 325i's from external soundcards, and a few solid-state amps. I'm very pleased with these two amps. It's really completely different, even my mom could tell the differences with these and the soundcards.
smily_headphones1.gif

A newbie expression I'm sure, but still in awe..
Steely Dan - Negative Girl, I didn't know those low bass lines existed
smily_headphones1.gif

Tone is nice, though overall the I+ sounds a little drier than the voyager..

-K

Mmm, dryer than the voyager? I also have a voyager, but I wouldn't say the LDI+ is dryer than the voyager. It's a completely different sound sig, particularly with regard to the bass. The voyager has a wonderfully refined, rounded and deep bass (and the solo even more). And while I like the LDI+ bass, it isn't in the same league really.

But then, maybe this is something experienced in particular with Grado 'phones. Never tried them, so wouldn't know.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #401 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm, dryer than the voyager? I also have a voyager, but I wouldn't say the LDI+ is dryer than the voyager. It's a completely different sound sig, particularly with regard to the bass. The voyager has a wonderfully refined, rounded and deep bass (and the solo even more). And while I like the LDI+ bass, it isn't in the same league really.

But then, maybe this is something experienced in particular with Grado 'phones. Never tried them, so wouldn't know.

Yeah? Interesting. Done most of the testing with the grados. As you mention, the bass in the voyager is deep, slightly round and incredibly smooth. The "smoothness" carries to the mid sections and all the way to the treble. The LD I+ sounds a bit harsh. I experience it as dry, lacking that "honey", though it does somehow "round the edges" the same way the voyager does.. But still.. I'm not sure what to call that.. I'm receiving my AD2000's next week and will surely do the comparison again. Until then, i have no access to my amp..
frown.gif

Thanks for reply.

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #402 of 805
I finally got mine on Thursday (I've been meaning to get one for a while now, only finally put the order in last week, shipping was quick). Listened to it for a few hours so far. I'm gonna give it more time, but its actually gotten a bit worse, it was smoother sounding right outta the box.

It easily bests the headphone out of the E-MU 0404 USB, and also is better than the jack on my Sony CD player (which has fared quite well and still does, but since its being fed from the CD player's DAC it loses out). Bass is definitely pronounced. I think it does a good job of showing you your source, which is good and bad (good source = good, bad source = bad). Soundstage is definitely bigger, but I'm not sure I like that. Its a little too open now, and vocals seem a little recessed. Separation is better.

Oh, this is with my modded W1000s. It definitely is powering them well, though it doesn't give you much play in the volume area.

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #403 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass is definitely pronounced.

This was my initial impression as well (stock base 6J1 tubes + stock MC33078 op-amp). The bass did differentiate and slightly articulate (very slightly) somewhat over the next several days of burn-in, but the overall SQ did not change save for a bit more seperation and air. Possibly the bass seems more pronounced due to the relatively muted mids, upper mids, and rolled-off highs. FWIW, the bass response is definitely very dependant on op-amp selection and can be changed by rolling to another op-amp. Same goes for mids and highs.

Quote:

Oh, this is with my modded W1000s. It definitely is powering them well, though it doesn't give you much play in the volume area.

You are aware the LD 1+ ships with the gain at 3.5X and can be set to 7X via an internal switch, right? (Hope I didn't insult your intelligence)

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #404 of 805
I'll be doing tube/opamp rolling, although not a whole lot. I'd like to warm things up a bit.

Yeah, I knew about the gain (no offense taken). What I meant is on low gain 20 on the volume knob is beyond comfort with every source I've tried. 15 is about as high as I can go, so there is a lot of room left.

Nov 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #405 of 805
Oh Damn!

Just swapped in my WE408A's, (this amp is my first tube-experience) and whoa! It really makes a difference. No placebo here.. The amp is tons more refined now, detailed (though the feeling of fatigue disappeared), Norah Jones' vocals just completely opened up. The emphasis which with the 6J1's seemed to be on bass and highs, has turned around and is now in the mids. This may also be that I just got used to the 6j1's and is actually just more neutral now. Dunno.

Bass power turned down a notch, but that doesn't bother me. The amp still retains it's ability to "physically seduce" you. I hope the sound remains like this. There is no burn-time of what i know with the 408s.

Thanks

-K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back