New HTC One M8 audio review
Sep 30, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #678 of 874
just got my m8 in...turning boom sound off I would still like a bit more power/volume for my cans (Denon Ah-D600's).   Boom Sound on or maybe root/viper4android or HK mod (and do you have to root for the HK mod or can you pay for it/slightly confused on this one)

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #680 of 874
  just got my m8 in...turning boom sound off I would still like a bit more power/volume for my cans (Denon Ah-D600's).   Boom Sound on or maybe root/viper4android or HK mod (and do you have to root for the HK mod or can you pay for it/slightly confused on this one)

For more volume, its better to install element X kernel which supports faux sound, then you can increase gain and digital volume, really useful stuff.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #681 of 874
No pops whatsoever on stock player, get a pop in poweramp first time changing songs but after that nill and absolutely no background hiss on pfe232`s!

Would it be too much to ask if you could test using a frequency generator app with the pfe232s to clarify that the pop you heard was just between tracks?

I would appreciate it greatly. Turn volume up to minimum of 70% and run a few tests using different frequencies. I find the lower frequencies make my m7 pop/tick in the left channel.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jm.android.frequencygenerator&hl=en

Thanks

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #682 of 874
hi all, I bought an m8 in france, and I think it came with the volume limited to EU requirements. It still sounds great, but I found that for example, in PowerAmp, if I turn the bass knob to maximum or near that, it will distort (something that does not happen with my wife's moto G which sounds excellent as well). I found a little trick though... just by accident: If i disconnect my headphone and reconnect it instantly, i mean disconnecting it just for a very very brief moment, what happens next is a VERY VERY POWERFUL amp kicks in and i get a max volume that literally shatters my ears, and I get almost no distortion while fiddling with the Poweramp bass knob. I have a feeling this overrides those EU regulations... but not sure. 

can someone look into this or at least explain what might be happening? i'd love to have my m8 in this 'powerful' mode all the time but the only way I know is to do that little trick... I have to do it every once in a while, I still haven't grasped WHEN it turns off and goes back to normal. I have Direct Volume Control in PowerAmp just in case.

I hope this makes the thread a bit more interesting. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #683 of 874
hi all, I bought an m8 in france, and I think it came with the volume limited to EU requirements. It still sounds great, but I found that for example, in PowerAmp, if I turn the bass knob to maximum or near that, it will distort (something that does not happen with my wife's moto G which sounds excellent as well). I found a little trick though... just by accident: If i disconnect my headphone and reconnect it instantly, i mean disconnecting it just for a very very brief moment, what happens next is a VERY VERY POWERFUL amp kicks in and i get a max volume that literally shatters my ears, and I get almost no distortion while fiddling with the Poweramp bass knob. I have a feeling this overrides those EU regulations... but not sure.

can someone look into this or at least explain what might be happening? i'd love to have my m8 in this 'powerful' mode all the time but the only way I know is to do that little trick... I have to do it every once in a while, I still haven't grasped WHEN it turns off and goes back to normal. I have Direct Volume Control in PowerAmp just in case.

I hope this makes the thread a bit more interesting.

your m8 sounds defective

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #684 of 874
Left channel pop a Little when it turns on the amplifier just before playing a frequency tune, and when it turns it off in the end, on my m8 with my Soundmagic E10. It's a small one though.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #685 of 874
Would you guys says there's a discernible difference in quality vs the M7? Worth the upgrade?

I'm thinking of upgrading a m7 to a m8. I'll be using a fiio x12 amp. But I'm in two minds as to whether to buy a dap of the ibasso/fiio variety instead.

Yet the ibasso/fiio reviews are flawed, for every good review there's a bad one.

Buying a fiio x5 or ibasso dx90 would cost about the same as a M8 in new condition.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #686 of 874
There's a new OTA update 4.4.4. Does anyone checked already if it eliminates or reduces the crackling/popping sound at high volume levels?

I have Beyerdynamics DT 770 PRO and I can't really enjoy listening to music from the M8. Did HTC even acknowledged this issue?

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #687 of 874
If it crackles with the DT770 PRO i guess that the flaw does not depend on the load. How many volume steps are usable before the crackling creeps in?

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #689 of 874
Are there any results on the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact? I was planning on driving a Fischer Amp FA-3E (20 Hz - 17,5 kHz, 17 Ohm, 114Db) without using an Amp. I don't like having additional gear on me when I'm busy throughout the day.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #690 of 874
  There's a new OTA update 4.4.4. Does anyone checked already if it eliminates or reduces the crackling/popping sound at high volume levels?

I have Beyerdynamics DT 770 PRO and I can't really enjoy listening to music from the M8. Did HTC even acknowledged this issue?

It makes it disappear! I'm amazed because finally HTC fixed the issue. Now we have a powerful clean output without any crackling. I'm using Insert Coin 5.0, based on 3.28.401.6 with 3.28.401.7 firmware.

Regards :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back