New HTC One M8 audio review
Sep 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #650 of 874
Guys, I will get in some Days a brand New HTC One M8.

I had for 4 Years the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10, which trained my Ears for new Details in Sound.

Now, I have Philips She 9700 (until I test SD2 vs FA-4 E XB) and I had Iphone 4s & at the Moment I own a Galaxy S4, which I will compare against HTC One.

The Philips are not a High Fidelity In Ears, but for that Price, better in most of the In Ears.

With my trained Ears, I'm excited about the NEW HTC ONE, YAAY! xD

I will tell you exactly the Sound with HTC One!!

1 Year before I could listen to the HTC One M7 with Triple Fi 10 in comparison to my Iphone 4s, and I think they sounded exactly the Same.

Of Course HTC One was much louder..

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #654 of 874
Is there a comparison of sound quality of the M8 with other flagship models?  Samsung note 4 / S5 / Sony Z2/3 etc?  Am about to get a new phone and main requirement is good sound.  Which brought me to this thread and am considering the M8 now...

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #655 of 874
my understanding is that the u.s. and european versions are all using qualcomm soc's which incorporate the dac. so the dac is the same.  there are differences in power output to the speakers, but i'm not clear on whether there are differences in power to the headphones - i think there are.  but either way it's the same sound, just louder or softer at a specific volume setting.  [some earlier cellphone models had separate dac's, and i'm not sure if that is still the case for some asian models.]

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #656 of 874
  my understanding is that the u.s. and european versions are all using qualcomm soc's which incorporate the dac. so the dac is the same.  there are differences in power output to the speakers, but i'm not clear on whether there are differences in power to the headphones - i think there are.  but either way it's the same sound, just louder or softer at a specific volume setting.  [some earlier cellphone models had separate dac's, and i'm not sure if that is still the case for some asian models.]

Does the QUALCOMM soc also include the analog filter and output stage?  Those two things will likely have a larger affect on sound quality than the DAC would.

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #657 of 874
  Htc Just released another model, HTC butterfly 2, duo 13mp camera, waterproof. They claim the speaker is 25% louder than Htc one (they never specify it). It is using HK DSP, instead of Boomsound.

If this 13 MP camera is the same as the One mini 2 and HTC One E8, then its still a good bunch worse compared to the M8 camera (higher resolution yes, but ANY aspect is worse. Color saturation, sharpness, low light performance etc. Check the Pocketnow review for the E8^^

Is there a comparison of sound quality of the M8 with other flagship models?  Samsung note 4 / S5 / Sony Z2/3 etc?  Am about to get a new phone and main requirement is good sound.  Which brought me to this thread and am considering the M8 now...

Thanks!

Not an in depth comparison but still measurements: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8078/smartphone-audio-testing-htc-one-m8-and-samsung-galaxy-s5

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #658 of 874
Output power of the headphone out is a joke on every smartphone aside from the HTC One M8 and iPhones (non europeans)

You can check the output voltage over phonearena.com

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #659 of 874
  If this 13 MP camera is the same as the One mini 2 and HTC One E8, then its still a good bunch worse compared to the M8 camera (higher resolution yes, but ANY aspect is worse. Color saturation, sharpness, low light performance etc. Check the Pocketnow review for the E8^^

Not an in depth comparison but still measurements: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8078/smartphone-audio-testing-htc-one-m8-and-samsung-galaxy-s5

I'm aware of that, was a pocketnow fan too LOL XD. I hope it isn't the same sensor

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #660 of 874
Output power of the headphone out is a joke on every smartphone aside from the HTC One M8 and iPhones (non europeans)

You can check the output voltage over phonearena.com
not really... Phones aren't designed with 300ohms headphones in mind. They're designed for 16-100 ohms decently efficient portable. (like 95db/mW and up) my Lumia is 0.6 volts according to phone arena, but drives the ATH-WS77 to very loud levels. I keep it at 22/30 for the WS77, and 24-26/30 for the UE6000 passive mode... On a very loud bus. At home the UE6000 stays at around 22/30, and ws77 at 20/30... It drives my K240 to medium low volumes tho. I still amp that particular headphone, but it can almost drive them to decent volumes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back