New hope for tinnitus sufferers
Mar 12, 2008 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Joshatdot

Headphoneus Supremus
Mar 12, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 14
Good news. I'm cranking up the amp right now!
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 14
Good news! I have often high pitch noise in my ear when quiet around, and especially after listening to my phones, even at reasonable low volumes. Can't even imagine how it would be to have a really loud noise in my head 24/7
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 14
The doctor told me that if I just accept the fact that I have tinnitus and learn to deal with it it will be a lot easier. This has worked great for me.

The first couple of months, I looked desperately for a cure and tried to find another explanation for my tinnitus (like neck tension, stress, high blood pressure) than too many loud concerts without hearing protection and it only made it worse. It made me constantly aware of the noise: "is it better now with a good nights sleep, or now that I have had a day off from work". When I just accepted that there is nothing to do about it, I stopped obsessing about it and several days might pass without me even noticing it, even though the ringing is constantly there.

The only thing bothering me now is that I can never justify cranking the volume out of fear that the tinnitus will get permanently worse. For this reason I rarely listen to SPLs above 75db, even though the music really comes alive above 80dbs.

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 14
i asked the dokter about the "iiiiiii" in my ears and he said most people just hear their blood flow in their ears.he gave me some pills but i dont know if they work yet.

arent people from belgium smart?
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 14
Got used to my ~5000 Hz tinnitus. I've had it since 2001 after a stress caused hearing loss. When it gets louder, I try to calm it down by calming down (mostly helps). I don't feel like I need a cure.

But what gets really on my nerves is a 2nd ~40 Hz buzz I get when I have come down to a cold - takes a while to get rid of that if you are over 40 and have a namby-pampy office job.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 14
Lidocaine in a sense dulls the transmission of nerve signals. While this may reduce the transmission of the tinnitus frequency, I wonder if it would dull transmission of all frequencies. I am not an ENT guy, however.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 14
Hey nor_spoon, me too got that high pitched sound sometimes. I get it when working constantly with next to no sleep at all, it does say iii-ii-iii-ii....
The key factor for me isn't whether I listen to music or not, just how overworked I'm. It's no worry I think :)

Would some kind soul please copy-paste said article into this forum because it is blocked by the great firewall of China (bbc is and will always be blocked..)

Thank you!

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Nickchen, curing oneself for stress-induced noises is very interesting I'd say, for me anyway I haven't heard anything beyond the obvious regarding it.

Sometimes I get a 3000hz (some where about there) tone that I easily can get rid of by simply focusing on the sound.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 14
I have it and as soon as I stopped thinking about it, it stopped bothering me. Good to see that there is something that could possibly cure it though.

Lol @ Uncle Erik, I thought the same exact thing, time to blast the cans.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laowai 2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would some kind soul please copy-paste said article into this forum because it is blocked by the great firewall of China (bbc is and will always be blocked..)

No problem...
Quote:

New approaches to the treatment of tinnitus - a buzzing or ringing in the ears - are being pioneered and may hold the promise of a future cure.

Over a third of the UK population will suffer from tinnitus at some point in their lives.

Close up of human ear
Tinnitus comes from the Latin word for ringing

For 600,000 of these people the condition will become so severe that it seriously impedes the quality of their lives.

Sufferers can become agitated and forgetful. They are sometimes unable to sleep, sustain relationships, or hold down employment. Every year there are many reports of tinnitus driving sufferers to suicide.

There is no respite from the constant noise and no cure.

Silent Symptom

Tinnitus is often described as a 'mild ringing' in the ears.

But for Kate Cook, a busy working mother of two and presenter of the documentary Longing for Silence, the effects of the condition are debilitating.

Because it is a silent symptom to everyone around you, there is this hopeless feeling of being on my own with it
Kate Cook

She has had a high pitched whistle inside her head for 25 years and the impact on her life is huge. It never goes away and when she is tired or stressed the volume swells to unbearable levels.

"After a long day you have got this incredible noise inside you. A whistling, squeaking, almost physical sensation in your ears. That is when you feel really really lonely. And because it is a silent symptom to everyone around you, there is this hopeless feeling of being on my own with it," says Kate.

Like many tinnitus sufferers, she feels frustrated by the lack of help on offer.

"There is a complete vacuum of information for people like me. Because it is not fatal people think it is not that bad. But it ruins lives."

Different approaches

The message from most GPs is that there is no cure. But this is not the whole story.

Berthold Langguth, a neurologist in Germany, believes the hearing cells in the auditory cortex (the brain area perceiving sound signals) in tinnitus sufferers are overactive and is trying to normalise them.

By running an electric current through sections of wire he creates a magnetic field. When held over the head of a patient the magnetic stimulation reduces the neural activity and diminishes unwanted sound.

I woke up and didn't hear a thing. Absolutely no sound at all. At first I thought I had gone deaf!
Vivian

Only one patient so far has been completely cured but many have found the volume of their tinnitus reduced.

In Belgium, neurosurgeon Dirk De Ridder, has tried implanting electrodes directly into the brain of sufferers to permanently normalise the overactive neurons.

So far he has only operated on 30 patients but with some successful results.

Vivian, who had a permanent 80Db ringing in her head and felt suicidal was the first tinnitus sufferer to have the operation.

"The first night I fell asleep. I woke up and didn't hear a thing. Absolutely no sound at all. At first I thought I had gone deaf! Now, there is no noise at all".

A cure?

Researchers in Cambridge have discovered that lidocaine, the most commonly used anaesthetic in the world, turns down the sound in two thirds of sufferers for roughly five minutes.

Whilst the drug is dangerous and the effect transitory, the discovery is clear proof for the first time that there is a mechanism to turn tinnitus off.

The golden key is to find a drug that has the suppressive effect of lidocaine without the side effects.

"My hope, which is cautiously optimistic, is that we will see a drug available to sufferers within a 20 year period," says David Baguley, Consultant Audiologist at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 14
The bad news (from the article) is:

"My hope, which is cautiously optimistic, is that we will see a drug available to sufferers within a 20 year period," says David Baguley, Consultant Audiologist at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back