New high-end rig
May 27, 2011 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

davidplmlsn

New Head-Fier
I am getting tired of listening to music using my Beats by Dre, so I have decided to make an upgrade.

I want some of the best I can get my hands on (in an affordable price range) so I have looked on the Stax SR-007 MK2 earphones.

Thing is, people say the SRM-007tII amp is not as good as other amps in a similar price range, such as the KGSSIs this true? I don’t want to by some really great headphones with an amplifier that do not bring out the best in these

What setup would you recommend me using?

I listen to all kinds of music such as hip-hop, rock, symphony, pop, mainstream ect.

Also, I would like to use the headphones in my home cinema. Also, I assume I will need a DAC in order for me to transform music from my PC into the amplifier and into the headphones?

I don’t really want to spend countless of hours researching the topic. I just want some REALLY great stuff right here, right now.

May 27, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 30
a budget would help - you send many mixed messages, coming from the beats, and yet calling the 007s "affordable"

May 27, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 30
You'll get very knowledgable responses asking about the best amp for an SR007 MkII in the Stax thread, or better still using the "Search Thread" feature while there as there's bound to be reams of opinion on the matter.

I think you'll love the SR007 MkII though. I haven't met anyone who heard one who didn't. Personally I prefer the SR-507 but I think with your music the SR007 extra bass depth and quantity with help.

May 27, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
You'll get very knowledgable responses asking about the best amp for an SR007 MkII in the Stax thread, or better still using the "Search Thread" feature while there as there's bound to be reams of opinion on the matter.

I think you'll love the SR007 MkII though. I haven't met anyone who heard one who didn't. Personally I prefer the SR-507 but I think with your music the SR007 extra bass depth and quantity with help.

The extra bass depth would suit me perfectly! 

I will go check out the Stax thread. Thank you, Eddie.

May 29, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 30
Ok, so what do you guys think about the following setup? 

PC -> Hegel HD20 -> WOO WES -> SR-007 MK2.

According to Hegel the HD20 is supposed to rebuild the audio from the source so I presume that the source (PC) won't be the bottle neck?

Also, how do I connect the DAC to the PC with coaxial cables when my PC have no coaxial input? Do I need some sort of adapter?

May 29, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
I found a very nice way to deliver music from my laptop to a DAC with coaxial cables:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/m2tech/hiface.html

The Hiface is a really mediocre product. You should NOT be using a $150 USB > S/Pdif converter with a $5K Stax setup, that's for sure. If you want to go USB straight into the DAC, consider the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, Ayre QB-9, one of the Wavelength DACs, or the Empirical Overdrive. If you would prefer to use a DAC that has a poor USB input or none at all, get one of the good converters - ART Legato, Audiophilleo, Wavelength Wavelink HS, Empirical Off-ramp 4.

The SRM-007Tii is not a great match for the Omega 2 Mk2. Unfortunately Headamp doesn't sell the KGSS anymore. The SRM.323S will get the job done, or you could try the 727II, but that amp requires a mod to really sound good. The best options are the Blue Hawaii and Woo WES amps, but you'll need a big wallet for those. The SR-507 is MUCH easier to amp than the O2. You can use pretty much anything with the 507 - 007Tii, 600LE, 323S, GES, etc.

May 30, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 30

Quote:

The Hiface is a really mediocre product. You should NOT be using a $150 USB > S/Pdif converter with a $5K Stax setup, that's for sure. If you want to go USB straight into the DAC, consider the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, Ayre QB-9, one of the Wavelength DACs, or the Empirical Overdrive. If you would prefer to use a DAC that has a poor USB input or none at all, get one of the good converters - ART Legato, Audiophilleo, Wavelength Wavelink HS, Empirical Off-ramp 4.

The SRM-007Tii is not a great match for the Omega 2 Mk2. Unfortunately Headamp doesn't sell the KGSS anymore. The SRM.323S will get the job done, or you could try the 727II, but that amp requires a mod to really sound good. The best options are the Blue Hawaii and Woo WES amps, but you'll need a big wallet for those. The SR-507 is MUCH easier to amp than the O2. You can use pretty much anything with the 507 - 007Tii, 600LE, 323S, GES, etc.

Thanks for letting me know.

As you can see in one of my previous posts, I have already decided to go with the WOO WES.

If you think the Hegel HD20 is a poor choice, then I will buy the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 instead. The Wavelength and and QB-9 are way to expensive.

When using the Wyred 4 Sound, would you still recommend (similar to the Hegel HD20) to use coaxial cables for better sound? If so, which USB > S/Pdif converter would you recommend me specifically?

May 30, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 30
Are you sure you want to go $5k in right away?

You should be able to get a listen at your dealer (a good thing) but you can do a lot else with that kind of budget. Have you completely ruled out dynamic headphones? Do you have any interest in speakers?

Personally, I prefer electrostatic speakers to headphones. Loads of detail, but you also get a hell of a soundstage. For your budget, you could run a great pair of speakers, great dynamic headphones, pick up a headphone amp that doubles as a preamp, a good power amp, a DAC, and if you're careful, a turntable, too.

Maybe the Stax rig would really make you happy. I don't know. But with a big budget, put all the options on the table.

May 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 30
I would love to buy a nice speaker system but reality is that I live in my mothers basement. So I do not have the space nor the oppertunity to play loud music.

I don't want to spend money on upgrading hence why I will buy the best from the beginning at. 

The reason why I have decided upon the Stax is that everyone pretty much say that they are some of the best out there.

May 30, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
When using the Wyred 4 Sound, would you still recommend (similar to the Hegel HD20) to use coaxial cables for better sound? If so, which USB > S/Pdif converter would you recommend me specifically?

I would get the W4S DAC-2 to use with USB direct. I haven't heard the Hegel, but most of the converters other than the most expensive ones are probably not gonna beat the built in USB on the W4S.

My personal favorite USB converter is the Off-ramp 4, but it gets mighty expensive when you start upgrading it.

May 30, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #15 of 30
Thanks. If that is the case, I will stick with the USB input.

So my system will look like this:

PC (iPad 2 as remote control) -> W4S DAC2 -> WOO WES -> STAX SR-007MK2

Would this system be "optimal" for a guy who listens to everything from John Williams to Michael Jackson to various artists in the hip hop, pop and Rock/Metal genre?

Some people have told me that it's nuts to buy such an expensive system without even audition it first. The same people argues that perhaps I will not even like the sound of the system. That maybe I will think that there is not enough bass ect. 

What do you guys think about this?

The thing is, I don't have the oppertunity to audition any of the above except for the STAX 007MK2 (coupled with a STAX 007 amp). And I don't want to by something that makes me wanna upgrade within months. I can't afford that. That is why I want to go 'all out' from day 1 - then never look back once I have bought the amp/dac/and headphones.

Quote:

I would get the W4S DAC-2 to use with USB direct. I haven't heard the Hegel, but most of the converters other than the most expensive ones are probably not gonna beat the built in USB on the W4S.

My personal favorite USB converter is the Off-ramp 4, but it gets mighty expensive when you start upgrading it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back