New high end M2Tech Vaughan : 3 in 1 DAC / head amp / pre amp impression and appreciation thread
Dec 14, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #76 of 119
Quote:

Here is one that is getting terrific reviews and is not expensive....

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=10

Thanks a lot.  Your longbow has hit a juicy target!

The other option I'm looking at is a QES Labs [size=11pt]HPBA-2.  They make units to order and I've enquired if they could provide one without any volume control - that is done by the Vaughan and would only add unnecessary expense and complication to the amp. Similar to the Schiit it is a balanced only effort.[/size]

[size=11pt]Wise after the event, but in buying the Vaughan, I'm paying for a lot of features I'll never use, particularly all the sophisticated USB input processing. That said it is an exceptional DAC but is not quite doing what I imagined in that it is not also a balanced headphone amplifier.[/size]

[size=11pt]John[/size]

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #77 of 119
Well Tassie, you are dancing with one of the best in the Vaughan. Even if you do not use the features, you still benefit from one of the best DAC's in the world. Not so bad..
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #78 of 119
And looks like there is a relatively inexpensive solution at our back door.

I really do not need an amplifier - the Vaughan has heaps of grunt.  It is just the impedance is wrong for direct HD800 balanced connection.

The answer is this Australian product: a Burson an160XLR buffer   http://bursonaudio.com/Burson_AB160.html

The cost will be far less than any amplifier, and getting one which does the Vaughan output justice would be around the $2k mark and all would have included unnecessary volume controls which not only add to cost and complexity but are a potential source of signal degradation.

I've emailed two Aussie distributors for quotes.

John

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #79 of 119
Perfect....Seems there is always a gadget somewhere to get the job done.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #80 of 119
Quote:
Perfect....Seems there is always a gadget somewhere to get the job done.

Unfortunately it was not the answer.  Reason:  The design was to go between say a CDP and a preamp meaning low impedance input & high out, just the opposite of what I need.

So where to next?

The answer to that is the sort of question that drives us a bit crazy with all sorts of conflicting reports and opinions floating around this site and on the net.

For some time I have tempted with a used Blockhead amp offered on the pages here.  My initial rejection was that apart from the high cost, the two independent volume controls would drive me even nuttier than the present unhinged state.  But then the Vaughan has a nice remote controlled volume so that is no longer an objection.  But there did remain the relatively high price, approaching that of a b22 headamp so more research was required to see what else was available for less outlay that could be just as good.

After days of agonising I kept coming back to that Blockhead so bit the bullet this morning and transferred the money for it.

Madness, probably, but then looking at what a few here lay out for this "hobby" it starts to look relatively sane. [This comment is designed to make me feel better about having emptied all surplus funding and the prospect of enduring a degree of unusual financial discipline for the next few months].

Yes I've spent a mint on the main system and in fact the whole house was designed by me around the large pentagonal listening room so I really cannot put a figure on it, and do not want to think about it anyway.  If you are curious to see what I'm talking about have a geek at  http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/upload.mpl?03_moniker=John%20C.%20-%20Aussie&session=1933240891&f=general

That main system is used most nights for A/V entertainment so is not wasted but ALL my music listening audio is via headphones fed from the Meridian Sooloos system with over 11,000 albums burned into 3 of twin 2TB raid twinstores.  The total outlay for all this (including the Meridian Sooloos) is now over $22k so it had better be good!

However I'm told you cannot take it with you (although I'm seeing if there is any workaround) so I might as well indulge in the best possible music listening in the few years left.  That is my excuse anyway & I'll stick to it!

John

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #81 of 119
Tassie, I will be your enabler....:)

I love the pics of your theater area. Nicely thought out. We all drop too much on this stuff but we get so much out of it. For me it the primary de-stresser. So the value is beyond the check written. I have dropped some good $$ over the last 30+ years. Working the theater room next. I have a dedicated 25 ft x 15 ft with 10 ft ceiling to put the new theater in. It all takes time and it is fun acquiring the pieces as I go along.

I hope the blockhead does the trick. Pics are required!

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #82 of 119
Quote:
Tassie, I will be your enabler....
smily_headphones1.gif

I love the pics of your theater area. Nicely thought out. We all drop too much on this stuff but we get so much out of it. For me it the primary de-stresser. So the value is beyond the check written. I have dropped some good $$ over the last 30+ years. Working the theater room next. I have a dedicated 25 ft x 15 ft with 10 ft ceiling to put the new theater in. It all takes time and it is fun acquiring the pieces as I go along.
I hope the blockhead does the trick. Pics are required!

Thanks for the nice comments.  Sounds like you are doping a nice job too :)

Blockhead has to come a long way so add in the Xmas freight confusion it could even be 2013 before arrival.  But yes, pics will follow.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #83 of 119
The way is hobby goes I am not sure any job is up to the task..:wink:

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #85 of 119
Quote:
It is very interesting how the design from M2tech Vaughan
Please see link below :
http://cybwiz.blogspot.com/2012/12/m2tech-vaughan-inside.html?m=1

Nice! Thanks Rudi...

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #87 of 119
Easy answer to that.  A common ploy - to make it look more impressive for the big asking price.

Maybe it isolates items from noisy RF power supplies, but maybe not.  Choose whichever answer appeals most.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #88 of 119
Quote:
Easy answer to that.  A common ploy - to make it look more impressive for the big asking price.

Maybe it isolates items from noisy RF power supplies, but maybe not.  Choose whichever answer appeals most.

Yes, I know. But DACs are getting to be small footprint items, and I mean - m2tech got into this with the HiFace...
RF/Power supply noise issues is better solved by seperate cabinets, but yes.

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #89 of 119
Maybe it is the "I am going to drop $8k USD so I need something Big" thing.....
rolleyes.gif

The LED's are cool and they do need some space.

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #90 of 119
There is a recent review on 6 moons audio reviews about this Usb dac .
Scores very high on dac ability but as suspected headphone out although ok, but not on par with dac quality .

Ah well , we cant have it all in one , I guess.

Enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back