New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Dec 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #5,926 of 6,017
Quote:
I wonder how long HiFiMAN will continue to use the same appearance for their headphones. I mean, sure, they sound great and are strictly for home use, but it would be nice to have something prettier to look at for the few seconds prior to putting them on :D

I feel the same... Maybe they can upgrade the higher end models to differentiate them.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #5,928 of 6,017
Quote:
how much of an improvement are these over the ad700 using Queen - We Are The Champions as an example?

I can't speak to the Audio Technica AD700, but I did own the AD900.  The AD900 being about double the price of the AD700, did sound quite good.  To my ears, most Audio Technica audiophile headphones are pretty neutral sounding.  To get into the heavier bass category, you'd possibly have to jump to the M50 series.  When comparing the AD900 to my HE-400s, the HifiMAN headphones were better for the music I listened to and how I wanted to hear it.  But, on its own, the AT AD900 was a great headphone and the only weakness was that I had it in my collection next to the HE-400s, which would tend to be the pair that I reached for most frequently.

In regards to Queen as a group, I personally think that they were ahead of their time.  Even today, their music fits right in and doesn't necessarily seem like classic rock - nor any of the other bands from that era.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #5,929 of 6,017
I'm so close to buying these... but! do you think e10 will be enough, or do i need e17 to make it decent?

also.. i hate harsh/sibilance/fatigue and from what i've heard this is one of this headphones weak spots (not sure if new rev fixed it) but yeah, any comments on this? any fixes/mods?

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #5,930 of 6,017
Quote:
how much of an improvement are these over the ad700 using Queen - We Are The Champions as an example?

Massive improvement IMO. I upgraded from the AD700 to the HE400, and I was initially dubious whether they would be worth the money. Having owned the HE400 for ~ 2 months I can say it's one of the best purchases I made. The detailing is incredible, instruments sound more true to life. Audio immersion is on another level. These made me rediscover my love for music. 

I seem to be reading a lot of posts on head-fi lately of people upgrading from mid-fi to high(ish)-fi and being disappointed with their investment. Needless to say I was not one of them.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #5,931 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm so close to buying these... but! do you think e10 will be enough, or do i need e17 to make it decent?

also.. i hate harsh/sibilance/fatigue and from what i've heard this is one of this headphones weak spots (not sure if new rev fixed it) but yeah, any comments on this? any fixes/mods?

I know Matt has a great amount of experience with the E17, and I have a somewhat limited experience with it.  But, I do think that you have to capably pair your headphones with the right gear to drive it.  I'll equate what I'm trying to say as ... having a nice, spiffy Cadillac, then going Walmart and buying a 4-pack of silver plastic hub caps for $16.99 to put on your Caddy.  It's just wrong.  Does this mean you have to make a major investment?  No.  You just have to make the right choice and the right investment.

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #5,932 of 6,017
What's the best $200-ish amp for these?

I already have the Little Dot MKIII and I should be buying the HE-400 soon. I really wanted the HE-500 but it's just too far out of my price range. I was thinking either the Little Dot MKIII I have now, or maybe the Schiit Asgard. Does the Asgard power these to their full potential? I just wonder if the MKIII has a great pairing with the HE-400, think a non-tube amp might be best. Thoughts?

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #5,933 of 6,017
Quote:
What's the best $200-ish amp for these?

I already have the Little Dot MKIII and I should be buying the HE-400 soon. I really wanted the HE-500 but it's just too far out of my price range. I was thinking either the Little Dot MKIII I have now, or maybe the Schiit Asgard. Does the Asgard power these to their full potential? I just wonder if the MKIII has a great pairing with the HE-400, think a non-tube amp might be best. Thoughts?

I'm assuming the new Schiit DAC and amp are going to be pretty good with the HE-400, but you should wait a little and see. An E09K is pretty good with the HE-400, so is the E17. Asgard works well, but I think most people skipped the Asgard and invested in a Lyr instead, the hybrid design supposedly has really good synergy with the HE-400.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #5,934 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm assuming the new Schiit DAC and amp are going to be pretty good with the HE-400, but you should wait a little and see. An E09K is pretty good with the HE-400, so is the E17. Asgard works well, but I think most people skipped the Asgard and invested in a Lyr instead, the hybrid design supposedly has really good synergy with the HE-400.

Well I have an E17. Does that actually work well with the HE-400? If so, maybe I could then sell my MKIII and invest in the Schiit DAC and Amp, with the E17 as a fallback. I didn't think it would have the power for that.

As for the Lyr, I've heard it's kind of overkill, and I'd rather use my MKIII if it works well - can anyone confirm that?

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #5,935 of 6,017
Quote:
Well I have an E17. Does that actually work well with the HE-400? If so, maybe I could then sell my MKIII and invest in the Schiit DAC and Amp, with the E17 as a fallback. I didn't think it would have the power for that.

Yep, E17 performs very well with HE400. Heck, I'm driving my HE500s out of them for the time being and it's still moderately ok.

It is only with the more inefficient planars like HE4, HE5LE and HE6 that E17s are absolutely useless with.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #5,936 of 6,017
Quote:
Yep, E17 performs very well with HE400. Heck, I'm driving my HE500s out of them for the time being and it's still moderately ok.

It is only with the more inefficient planars like HE4, HE5LE and HE6 that E17s are absolutely useless with.

Hmmm this is an interesting situation then! I may sell my MKIII, get about 150ish, and try and get the Magni, Modi sometime next month as opposed to just going with the MKIII.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #5,937 of 6,017

I stopped assuming a long time ago. It's way too risky. :wink:

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #5,938 of 6,017
Quote:
I stopped assuming a long time ago. It's way too risky.
wink.gif

Good point. 
rolleyes.gif

Though there is that one guy that already has the amp with the HE-400, he said first impressions were pretty good.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #5,939 of 6,017
Quote:
Good point. 
rolleyes.gif

Though there is that one guy that already has the amp with the HE-400, he said first impressions were pretty good.

Linkage?
Quote:
I stopped assuming a long time ago. It's way too risky.
wink.gif

As far as power goes, the Magni should be able to handle it without much fuss, right? It's just about whether it pairs well to your ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back