New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Nov 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #5,372 of 6,017
Quote:

And suddenly many people realize they wasted $20+ (velours + shipping) haha.

I still think that $20.00 (including shipping) is a steal for the pads.  Here in the U.S., I paid $10.00 for my velour pads and only about $6.00 in shipping - if I recall correctly.  I'll make an order again a little bit down the road, as it appears their shipping is fixed at $6.00.  I'll just order 3 pair to really make it worth while. 
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #5,373 of 6,017
                                                                                                   NEW HE-400 ANYONE?

Just thought i'd put this out there for anyone reading this thread and wanting a NEW REV3 HE-400 with velours and pleathers nicely discounted.. I had a rev2  set  i just exchanged/or upgraded to a REV3 because the rev2 had a rattle in the right driver and it was only a month old still under warranty.

I purchased the rev2 set in a  package deal here at head-fi from a member that was selling the HD-650 and HE-400 only a month old for each pair..I pounced on the deal  only wanting  the HD650 being that both were selling at a great deal i purchased them both knowing that i'd turn around and resell the HE-400 because i already have that set but hey i had to have the HD-650 at a phenomenal price.

So if anyone is interested pm me before later today i put the set up for grabs with pictures in the buy or sell thread and i'm sure it won't last for long for 365.00 shipping included anywhere in usa.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #5,374 of 6,017
Quote:
                                                                                                   NEW HE-400 ANYONE?

Just thought i'd put this out there for anyone reading this thread and wanting a NEW REV3 HE-400 with velours and pleathers nicely discounted.. I had a rev2  set  i just exchanged/or upgraded to a REV3 because the rev2 had a rattle in the right driver and it was only a month old still under warranty.

I purchased the rev2 set in a  package deal here at head-fi from a member that was selling the HD-650 and HE-400 only a month old for each pair..I pounced on the deal  only wanting  the HD650 being that both were selling at a great deal i purchased them both knowing that i'd turn around and resell the HE-400 because i already have that set but hey i had to have the HD-650 at a phenomenal price.

So if anyone is interested pm me before later today i put the set up for grabs with pictures in the buy or sell thread and i'm sure it won't last for long for 365.00 shipping included anywhere in usa.

where would this rev3 would be available online as of now??

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #5,377 of 6,017
Lol, there is NO Rev. 3 anymore. They went back to Rev. 2.

Again, people need to stop with this Rev 3 silliness.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #5,378 of 6,017
Lol, there is NO Rev. 3 anymore. They went back to Rev. 2.
Again, people need to stop with this Rev 3 silliness.

Ohh ok call it whatever you want but it could even be called fourth version or 3.5 but in the end it's the latest iteration of the driver housing changing in color and yes from the horses mouth ALLEGEDLY it's the revision2 driver, "latest iteration". I wonder which Mylar membrane for a diaphragm they chose this time around in this latest clear color housing dubbed rev2 with housing change and sound signature ??..

Lets just call this last revision or revert of the HE-400 just that LATEST ITERATION!

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #5,379 of 6,017
i am just about to order the he-400(even included it in my sig. :p:) so should i hold off for the rev.3 or rev.2 is better?

Yeah envy is right there is an original rev2 and this latest iteration of rev2 and im not sure if there is any absolute certainties here but for what its worth neither sound the same even though there is one first version rev2 and now this latest iteration rev2..There was another revision that was of a sandy colored housing with a Pierrcing treble shelve but it was allegedly reverted back to rev2 or maybe even something else lol. The sandy color housing revision was dubbed rev3 by members here and not hifiman..

How's all that for confusion lol.

So as of now there should be only revision2 latest iteration and maybe some original rev2 but the so called rev3 were pulled from distributers shelves everywhere.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #5,380 of 6,017
it's rev1 (black drivers, sound cuts out) -> rev2 (white drivers, good) -> rev "knife to your ears" (yellow drivers, terrible treble ringing) -> rev2 "post-drama" (transparent white drivers, good).

The post-recall rev2s IMO sound a bit faster with substantially better sub-bass extension compared to early rev2 units.

Funny thing is 90% of big website reviews of HE400s at the moment are all of rev1 HE400s, which were VERY dark with dim treble, compared to the later HE400s. So people who rely entirely on those kinds of reviews will buy these expecting a sound even more dark-sounding than LCD2r1s, while they sound the exact opposite with current revision.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #5,384 of 6,017
Quote:
I just ordered some from moon audio and they sent me velours for free. Do any of you know what revision they have? also have you guys had experience using the he400s with a matrix m-stage?

All authorized retailers now ONLY carry the correct revision, as far as I know. If you want to make sure, rip off one of the earpads and take a look at the colour of the driver.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #5,385 of 6,017
Quote:
it's rev1 (black drivers, sound cuts out) -> rev2 (white drivers, good) -> rev "knife to your ears" (yellow drivers, terrible treble ringing) -> rev2 "post-drama" (transparent white drivers, good).

The post-recall rev2s IMO sound a bit faster with substantially better sub-bass extension compared to early rev2 units.

Funny thing is 90% of big website reviews of HE400s at the moment are all of rev1 HE400s, which were VERY dark with dim treble, compared to the later HE400s. So people who rely entirely on those kinds of reviews will buy these expecting a sound even more dark-sounding than LCD2r1s, while they sound the exact opposite with current revision.

Also, most of those reviews are based on the pleather pads which heavily sinks the mids to a deep V contributing to the very dark sound as well.  It's kind of an addictive sound, but it's not close to what we expect from neutral hi-fi headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back