New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #4,741 of 6,017
Quote:
Have you heard the HE-6 yet? If you have, would you say that it's more substantial/fuller-bodied than the HD800? Interested in either one, but I've only heard the HD800s several times, not the HE-6.

More HE-400 related, does anyone with velours have a problem with the pads picking up crazy amounts of lint? Any ways to get them off?

1) Yes and 2) yes. To me, a well-driven HE6 sounds way better than HD800s in every respect, including soundstage (it's more of a realistic open soundstage rather than the Senn's unnatural expansive holographic soundstage).

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #4,742 of 6,017
Interesting. I just got a pair of HE-400s from Crutchfield. The date on the box shows 09/17/12. But when I look at the drivers it looks like I have rev2 versions (yesssssssssss). I can't read the card insert because it's in Chinese, but there looks to be serial #s for both L and R drivers, 2060686 & 2060687; both are handwritten.

They sound ok but I can't push the volume up enough. Both my Hot-Audio DAC Extasy and ASUS DG sound cards are @ 100% volume but the volume is still so low. So now time to order an amp. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #4,743 of 6,017
Quote:
Man, you are really asking for it from those guys.  Well honestly I have never heard the hd800s but from reviews I had gathered that the treble was a little too bright.  However, from reading only, I see that they have an excellent soundstage.  For 1k though I think I would wish for some better sound.  I really like the sound signature from my hd650s, but the hd800s are supposed to stray from that.  Still cannot part with he400s or the hd650s even though i find them somewhat comparable.  They have just enough uniquness that I can still appreciate them seperately.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I consider the HD800 the best non Stax headphone. Some people agree with me and some don't. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #4,744 of 6,017
Interesting. I just got a pair of HE-400s from Crutchfield. The date on the box shows 09/17/12. But when I look at the drivers it looks like I have rev2 versions (yesssssssssss). I can't read the card insert because it's in Chinese, but there looks to be serial #s for both L and R drivers, 2060686 & 2060687; both are handwritten.

They sound ok but I can't push the volume up enough. Both my Hot-Audio DAC Extasy and ASUS DG sound cards are @ 100% volume but the volume is still so low. So now time to order an amp. 

Hmm? I can even get decent (~70-80db, measured with spl meter) volume out of an iPod at 75%. Maybe something's wrong

Quote:

1) Yes and 2) yes. To me, a well-driven HE6 sounds way better than HD800s in every respect, including soundstage (it's more of a realistic open soundstage rather than the Senn's unnatural expansive holographic soundstage).

Interesting to hear the HE-6s to be that competitive. Might have to get a speaker amp in the future, instead of the B22s.

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #4,745 of 6,017
Quote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I consider the HD800 the best non Stax headphone. Some people agree with me and some don't. 

^This. If stating an opinion is enough to draw flaming and trolling from those who disagree, then Head-fi might as well be Reddit. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Interesting to hear the HE-6s to be that competitive. Might have to get a speaker amp in the future, instead of the B22s.

It's still a touch too bright for my taste. Objectively it sounds monumental though.

The only two high-end headphones with the balance that fits my tastes so far have been rev. 2 HE400s, and LCD3s. The rest have been either too dark or too hot / bright.

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #4,746 of 6,017
Yeah TwinQY I finally found out why my volume was so low, it was turned down in windows volume mixer. It's up to 100% now and sounds much better. These phones are pretty nice, they easily sound nicer than D2000s due to their sibilance. And Velour pads are a must. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #4,747 of 6,017
Quote:

r/headphones is in infant stages with regards to its audiophile maturity; most peeps there are still dwelling on the superior fidelity of their M-fiddies to have much of a concrete view of their real sonic preferences, or opinions on mid / high-end headphones and systems.

Hm... HE6s just sounded somewhat bright but not sibilant to me, which is reflected by its measurements where the everything 5kHz onwards is on average about 5dB more elevated than <5khz. If those elevations are just shaved off by 3 or 4 dBs then it would be within the narrow bracket of "balanced" voicing for me.

7kHz doesn't look too bad, I'm only really sensitive in that area. Everywhere beyond that actually doesn't look too far from the HE-400s. Guess I'll have to buy them to find out....sigh

And I just heard the M50s for the first time today. Wow. Really good. Would have bought one on the spot if I remembered to bring money in my wallet. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #4,748 of 6,017
Can you drive these headphones with an E10?

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #4,749 of 6,017
Quote:
7kHz doesn't look too bad, I'm only really sensitive in that area. Everywhere beyond that actually doesn't look too far from the HE-400s. Guess I'll have to buy them to find out....sigh

And I just heard the M50s for the first time today. Wow. Really good. Would have bought one on the spot if I remembered to bring money in my wallet. 

If you think M50s sound good then modded KSC75s will blow you out of the water 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #4,750 of 6,017
Quote:
If you think M50s sound good then modded KSC75s will blow you out of the water 
biggrin.gif

Actually, I'm making a batch for Christmas presents this year. KSC75/Monoprice 8320 + Sansa Clip x10 for every friend = cheapskate me 
gs1000.gif

Quote:
Can you drive these headphones with an E10?

I use them all day, every day as a bedside rig with the E10s. Very nice sounding, lightweight setup. The starting point IMO for proper amping for the HE-400s.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #4,751 of 6,017
Quote:

With EQ, my Asus Essence, isn't enough for them. Besides volume, they need a lot of power to really shine.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #4,752 of 6,017
Quote:
Actually, I'm making a batch for Christmas presents this year. KSC75/Monoprice 8320 + Sansa Clip x10 for every friend = cheapskate me 
gs1000.gif

I use them all day, every day as a bedside rig with the E10s. Very nice sounding, lightweight setup. The starting point IMO for proper amping for the HE-400s.

Ehh default unmodded KSC75s are a world apart in terms of performance relative to one with headband mod, kramer mod, and quarter mod.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #4,754 of 6,017
I'm definitely loving the HE-400s. Going through a bunch of songs in my collection. Also pulled the trigger on an E17 to hold me over for now. And if you want to hear some high detailed Trapt Music:

THE LAST MINUTE IS EPIC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back