New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #4,726 of 6,017
Quote:
Jerg:   I know it is off topic, but what kind of cans do you have in the background?  They look like audio technicas.

None of these are my photos. The rev3 photo was taken by hybridamp here http://www.head-fi.org/t/630549/open-announcement-on-the-hifiman-he-400/15#post_8756641

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #4,728 of 6,017
Damnit. I'm actually really lusting for that amazing choppiness in electronic music, with the bass and instrument separation and imaging....... you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone 
triportsad.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #4,729 of 6,017
Quote:
Damnit. I'm actually really lusting for that amazing choppiness in electronic music, with the bass and instrument separation and imaging....... you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone 
triportsad.gif

At least you'll be anticipating for an even better sounding replacement unit, what with the fixed treble and all.

I'm fortunate enough to still have my modded Koss KSC75s to listen to, which are in my opinion better than all dynamic headphones I've ever heard, so it keeps me happy while the Hifimans are getting replaced.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #4,730 of 6,017
Quote:
At least you'll be anticipating for an even better sounding replacement unit, what with the fixed treble and all.

I'm fortunate enough to still have my modded Koss KSC75s to listen to, which are in my opinion better than all dynamic headphones I've ever heard, so it keeps me happy while the Hifimans are getting replaced.

Modded Koss KSC75s better than all dynamic headphones that you have ever in your entire life had the pleasure to listen to.  Your sarcasm goes far beyond the walls of this head-fi room that we are all sitting in.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #4,731 of 6,017
Hey guys, it seems I need some help regarding rev 3 issues.

I've sent the below picture to customer service at HifiMan and they confirmed that they were rev 2. Now this got me really confused, as in person the color is positively yellow and the picture shows (although the flash altered the color) at the sides of the grill that I have sandy yellow color.

I'm confused whether to send this back or keep it, please provide some advice for me.

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #4,733 of 6,017
Quote:
Hey guys, it seems I need some help regarding rev 3 issues.

I've sent the below picture to customer service at HifiMan and they confirmed that they were rev 2. Now this got me really confused, as in person the color is positively yellow and the picture shows (although the flash altered the color) at the sides of the grill that I have sandy yellow color.

I'm confused whether to send this back or keep it, please provide some advice for me.

Thanks.

Doesn't matter; if it's rev 3, then just tell the customer service that you have a rev 3 unit and need it replaced.

Also take a photo without flash, and with natural lighting, the flash makes rev2s look like rev3s and rev3s like rev2s.

Modded Koss KSC75s better than all dynamic headphones that you have ever in your entire life had the pleasure to listen to.  Your sarcasm goes far beyond the walls of this head-fi room that we are all sitting in.

I like to exaggerate sometimes, but honestly not here. Nothing dynamic I've auditioned or owned (from m50s to he300s, hd800s, q701s, d5ks, etc etc list goes on) has the degree of balance, air, and enjoyment that these little guys are able to crank out.

Sure they don't have the resolving power or extension or instrument separation of larger cans, but they more than make up for it with a sweet sweet timbre and good "density" in the sound, the mids are phenomenal. Treble is just the right level and colouration to be very detailed yet utterly nonfatiguing, and bass is really satisfying. Overall an extremely integrative sonic character.

Crazy, I know. These really ripple and tear the fabric of audiophile reality.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #4,734 of 6,017
Quote:

Doesn't matter; if it's rev 3, then just tell the customer service that you have a rev 3 unit and need it replaced.

Also take a photo without flash, and with natural lighting, the flash makes rev2s look like rev3s and rev3s like rev2s.

They've asked for a photo and that's the one I sent, I've snapped another one and asked the customer service(again).

The one thing that's bothering me is that they positively claimed that mine was rev 2 even though there was a tint of yellow in the picture.

Better wait for their next response....

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #4,735 of 6,017
Quote:

They've asked for a photo and that's the one I sent, I've snapped another one and asked the customer service(again).

The one thing that's bothering me is that they positively claimed that mine was rev 2 even though there was a tint of yellow in the picture.

Better wait for their next response....

Hehe you probably shouldn't have sent a photo at all in the first place; most people just emailed the customer service stating that they received rev3 units, and promptly got the acknowledgement and shipping info for replacement.

But yeah if it still doesn't go through, then post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/629253/head-direct-hifiman-customer-service-team
And here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630549/open-announcement-on-the-hifiman-he-400

Those are official Hifiman threads made by the company employees and ultimately ambiguities and inquiries can be resolved there.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #4,736 of 6,017
Quote:
I like to exaggerate sometimes, but honestly not here. Nothing dynamic I've auditioned or owned (from m50s to he300s, hd800s, q701s, d5ks, etc etc list goes on) has the degree of balance, air, and enjoyment that these little guys are able to crank out.

Sure they don't have the resolving power or extension or instrument separation of larger cans, but they more than make up for it with a sweet sweet timbre and good "density" in the sound, the mids are phenomenal. Treble is just the right level and colouration to be very detailed yet utterly nonfatiguing, and bass is really satisfying. Overall an extremely integrative sonic character.

Crazy, I know. These really ripple and tear the fabric of audiophile reality.

Well i will have to try them out some day.  I just though u were joking.  I am sure that if the guys over in the hd800 appreciation thread get word of this they will hunt you down. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #4,737 of 6,017
Quote:
Hehe you probably shouldn't have sent a photo at all in the first place; most people just emailed the customer service stating that they received rev3 units, and promptly got the acknowledgement and shipping info for replacement.

But yeah if it still doesn't go through, then post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/629253/head-direct-hifiman-customer-service-team
And here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630549/open-announcement-on-the-hifiman-he-400

Those are official Hifiman threads made by the company employees and ultimately ambiguities and inquiries can be resolved there.

That's quite funny, probably I'm the unlucky guy of the bunch.
Well, better keep it private by emails at first.

Yes, already read those threads and hope I get the best solution out of this problem.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #4,738 of 6,017
Quote:
 Well i will have to try them out some day.  I just though u were joking.  I am sure that if the guys over in the hd800 appreciation thread get word of this they will hunt you down. 

For my tastes, HD800s sound way too bright and weightless in terms of bottom end, it's the poster-child of the "more treble tilt = more balanced" trend started by German headphone companies 10 years ago. In terms of technicalities it is a marvel, but that is pointless to my enjoyment when the sound signature and voicing is so off.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #4,739 of 6,017
Quote:
For my tastes, HD800s sound way too bright and weightless in terms of bottom end, it's the poster-child of the "more treble tilt = more balanced" trend started by German headphone companies 10 years ago. In terms of technicalities it is a marvel, but that is pointless to my enjoyment when the sound signature and voicing is so off.

Have you heard the HE-6 yet? If you have, would you say that it's more substantial/fuller-bodied than the HD800? Interested in either one, but I've only heard the HD800s several times, not the HE-6.

More HE-400 related, does anyone with velours have a problem with the pads picking up crazy amounts of lint? Any ways to get them off?

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #4,740 of 6,017
Quote:

Man, you are really asking for it from those guys.  Well honestly I have never heard the hd800s but from reviews I had gathered that the treble was a little too bright.  However, from reading only, I see that they have an excellent soundstage.  For 1k though I think I would wish for some better sound.  I really like the sound signature from my hd650s, but the hd800s are supposed to stray from that.  Still cannot part with he400s or the hd650s even though i find them somewhat comparable.  They have just enough uniquness that I can still appreciate them seperately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back