New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Aug 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3,106 of 6,017
Quote:
The only thing I worry about HE400s is their longevity...the tracings look mighty flimsy on the diaphragms, it's like they are just glued on in a rush or something. My fear is one day a year or two down the line, they will just fall off.

This type of thing is keeping me away from the HE-400, something just breaking (and following all the preorder issues), especially since I know my RS1i, which I am satisfied with for the most part, will probably easily last me 5+ years hopefully 10 *knocks on wood.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #3,108 of 6,017
Quote:
This type of thing is keeping me away from the HE-400, something just breaking (and following all the preorder issues), especially since I know my RS1i, which I am satisfied with for the most part, will probably easily last me 5+ years hopefully 10 *knocks on wood.

I seriously think that you should not have such a worry.  I'm quite sure the headphones are durable enough to have a good, long life.  I'm careful with mine, just as I am with any headphone.  When not in used, it is hung carefully out of the way.  It's always safely in the right spot when I get back home to do some more listening.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #3,109 of 6,017
Quote:

I've actually been avoiding Grado in general for the same reason. Worried I'll have an issue with build quality, especially after all the reviews that claim their demise after a few years.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #3,110 of 6,017
Quote:

I've actually been avoiding Grado in general for the same reason. Worried I'll have an issue with build quality, especially after all the reviews that claim their demise after a few years.

Grados are built well, they are just  torture on your ears as far as comfort. The only Grados that are a bit flimsy are the SR series.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #3,111 of 6,017
Unless you're an absolute brute, I don't see how the HE400 could fall apart. The utilitarian, yet sexy design doesn't seem flimsy at all. Hell, I felt the D7000 was quite a bit more fragile.

The paint may come off with rough use, but the headphones themselves don't scare me into thinking they'll break apart in a few years.

My biggest complaint is that the pads slide ever so slightly around (where one side is sticking out further than the other), so at times, I have to center it.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #3,112 of 6,017
And they creak so loud when you readjust on your head.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3,113 of 6,017
My Velour's turned up today. I tried them without the pleather spacer at first and hated them, all the bass was lost and they were uncomfortable, i then put the spacers in and what a difference, the bass came back and the comfort was alot better. I noticed the velour's without the spacers were to thin so my ears were to close to the drivers, with the spacers my ears no longer touched and the clamping force was stronger, which is good because my headband has very little clamp. The mids and treble had a very noticeable increase in quality with the velour's.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #3,114 of 6,017
Quote:
My Velour's turned up today. I tried them without the pleather spacer at first and hated them, all the bass was lost and they were uncomfortable, i then put the spacers in and what a difference, the bass came back and the comfort was alot better. I noticed the velour's without the spacers were to thin so my ears were to close to the drivers, with the spacers my ears no longer touched and the clamping force was stronger, which is good because my headband has very little clamp. The mids and treble had a very noticeable increase in quality with the velour's.

That's very strange how you notice a decrease in bass quantity with the velours, my guess is you have a smallish head so the seal isn't so good unless you get those foam spacers in the pads to prop them against your ears more supple-y.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3,115 of 6,017
Just a general inquiry, I have a CNC router and had given thoughts to making wooden cups for the HE-400's, they wouldn't be to bad to design, I doubt they would have much effect on sound, but more for appearance (I don't like the blue) would anyone even be interested in them?

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3,116 of 6,017

Dunno what kind of deformed velour you have, but the spacers didn't add or take away any bass with my velour. The sound was pretty identical across the board, with the exception of slightly more soundstage, and a whole lot of discomfort. They quickly went from a 9 in comfort to about a 3.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #3,118 of 6,017
After seeing an LCD2 rev1 falling apart at the Toronto HeadFi meet, I have full confidence in the HE400 construction quality.  Any doubts of the quality of construction and longevity never crossed my mind. (I'm sure that the newer LCD2's have overcome their quality problems and I still like the design of the HE400 much better)
Quote:
Unless you're an absolute brute, I don't see how the HE400 could fall apart. The utilitarian, yet sexy design doesn't seem flimsy at all. Hell, I felt the D7000 was quite a bit more fragile.
The paint may come off with rough use, but the headphones themselves don't scare me into thinking they'll break apart in a few years.
My biggest complaint is that the pads slide ever so slightly around (where one side is sticking out further than the other), so at times, I have to center it.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #3,120 of 6,017
The velour's should not be taking away the bass.

^This. It was documented by Purrin, and you can see the bass was pretty much identical to the pleather. Spacers or no spacers, it sounds the same. He must be having issues with sealing without the spacer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back