New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Aug 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #2,851 of 6,017
Quote:
Too analytical, I prefer it on my Lyr, but as a technical performer, it's probably better on O2 and DAC1.  More emotional on Lyr.

The analytical part is my thoughts exactly, honestly I enjoy an analytical listen from time to time. But damn you for making me want a Lyr even more. I am really starting to believe a DAC1>Lyr>HE400 setup would be astronomically enjoyable!
Also cool to know that this headphone is capable of changing a little through choice of amplification.

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #2,852 of 6,017
Quote:

And for the kids at home, the HE-400 does not look nearly as blue in person as MLE's pictures make them look.  Maybe in full sunlight they would, but indoors they look like a deep cobalt black-blue.  MLE's pictures make them look like Papa Smurf's headphones 
eek.gif

That paintjob is so very non-photogenic.

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2,853 of 6,017
Quote:

The analytical part is my thoughts exactly, honestly I enjoy an analytical listen from time to time. But damn you for making me want a Lyr even more. I am really starting to believe a DAC1>Lyr>HE400 setup would be astronomically enjoyable!
Also cool to know that this headphone is capable of changing a little through choice of amplification.

That would be an astronomically enjoyable setup....sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

HE-400 is possibly the most changeable of my cans in terms of amp choice.  K702 goes from acceptable to good when giving it more adequate power than a weaker amp, HD650 definitely is different from SS to Lyr, starkly so, and I almost can't tolerate it on SS, it needs to be the Lyr.  HE-400 I can tolerate on either, but the difference is vivid, and HE-400 responds more starkly to tube changes than HD650.  They both respond, but there's a more immediate effect on HE-400 from one tube to the next whereas it's obvious but more subtle on HD650.  K702 reveals tube changes starkly, but that's a "studio flat" headphone, so it makes sense that it would.

Quote:
That paintjob is so very non-photogenic.

Yeah.  It's actually a really pleasant color in person.  I like it.  It's unusual.  The Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable looks stark and vivid electric blue next to it, but blends with the blue relatively nicely despite the contrast.   MLE's pictures make the HE-400 look like the Blue Dragon does, which, in reality, is nowhere close in color.

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #2,854 of 6,017
Quote:

That would be an astronomically enjoyable setup....sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

HE-400 is possibly the most changeable of my cans in terms of amp choice.  K702 goes from acceptable to good when giving it more adequate power than a weaker amp, HD650 definitely is different from SS to Lyr, starkly so, and I almost can't tolerate it on SS, it needs to be the Lyr.  HE-400 I can tolerate on either, but the difference is vivid, and HE-400 responds more starkly to tube changes than HD650.  They both respond, but there's a more immediate effect on HE-400 from one tube to the next whereas it's obvious but more subtle on HD650.  K702 reveals tube changes starkly, but that's a "studio flat" headphone, so it makes sense that it would.

Excellent post, I could not agree more.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #2,855 of 6,017
Its the flash that made them so blue. In reality, these may as well be black, as I almost never see any blue. The pics are definitely not true of their color. Hell the pads look gray in my pics. They're black...

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2,857 of 6,017
Quote:
These are definitely a dark blue. They are also difficult to photograph accurately.

If you don't use flash and have them under fairly natural lighting, they should look right in photos.

Doing it right:

Doing it wrong:

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #2,858 of 6,017
Quote:
Yeah, I'm really impressved by D1 and glad I didn't spend more. Diminishing returns.

Holy crap this song sounds amazing on HE-400

Gives it a great stereo/soundstage work out (great width and panning of certain instruments, vocals), and a great mix of timbres with the electronica/syth plus the vocals and regular instruments

Moar cowbell

I too am impressed by the Audioengine D1. The HE-400 are just singing to my ears.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #2,859 of 6,017
Does the He-400 scale up with a better amp?

If I were to get the HE-400 in the future I would have to get a new amp :frowning2: 

At this moment I'm looking at the Asgard or the Lyr

Also, does it sound better with tubes or a SS amp?

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #2,860 of 6,017
Quote:

If I were to get the HE-400 in the future I would have to get a new amp :frowning2: 

I don't have that much experience, but what I do know is that the HE400s do very well with what you give them. I know for sure they even sound good out of a portable 3MOVE amp, and now I am testing a bit with a Benchmark DAC1.
My point would be that you can get a new amp if you feel like it, but you probably wont be disappointed without one.

On the topic of amps. Has anyone tried the HE400s from speaker taps yet? I know this is popular with the higher model HiFiMan models.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2,861 of 6,017
While I don't have HE-400 anymore I'm enjoying my D7000 with D1 than Xonar STX but unfortunately can't get sound with optical input. I also tried E17 but don't hear anything special with it

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #2,863 of 6,017
Well, sorry guys but I'll be joining your club a little later :/ 

I think I'm gong to get the Lyr first then get the HE-400 later on. 

I'll be sure to let you guys know when I do get the He-400s though :D 

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #2,865 of 6,017
Yes, it does.. I have the Audioquest Dragonfly, Audioengine D1 and the Lyr.  Sounds best out of the Lyr but could easily live with the HE400 and the D1. Some people really like it with the FiiO suff but I'm retiring my E10 and E17.
With the Lyr.. tubes make a difference (as I think MLE stated)
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back