New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Mar 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #961 of 6,017
Gribble, believe me, I know anything off youtube is crap quality.  
I'm going to give my headphones some time to burn in and report back the results.  Hopefully it's just the lack of burn-in, but it might also have been the fact that all the music I was listening to was through my laptop which I recently did a clean install off of and thus had to listen through Google Music.  I have no idea what method google uses to transcode uploaded music, but several songs that i listened to through google music then through flac right now on my main computer have a much less harsh sound on flac...

I'm also noticing more harshness when I turn the volume up on my E10. Could that just be the amp being limited?

EDIT:
Just realized that I had it on low gain... DOH. putting it on high gain got rid of a lot of the harshness. I feel smart.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #962 of 6,017

Quote:
You're listening to kesha songs on youtube with your he-400s?

Well, I'm listening to Liberace on YouTube with my HE-400s.  What makes it so bad? 
eek.gif

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #963 of 6,017
Well mine have burned in for 20ish hours now and the harshness is gone.  Adele sounds much better and so do guitars from other artists.
Big change from listening to them with no burn in time.  I always though burn in time was a myth.  Going to keep burning them in until tomorrow.

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #964 of 6,017

Quote:
Well mine have burned in for 20ish hours now and the harshness is gone.  Adele sounds much better and so do guitars from other artists.
Big change from listening to them with no burn in time.  I always though burn in time was a myth.  Going to keep burning them in until tomorrow.

Are you burning them in with music or noise?

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #966 of 6,017

Quote:
Gribble, believe me, I know anything off youtube is crap quality.  
I'm going to give my headphones some time to burn in and report back the results.  Hopefully it's just the lack of burn-in, but it might also have been the fact that all the music I was listening to was through my laptop which I recently did a clean install off of and thus had to listen through Google Music.  I have no idea what method google uses to transcode uploaded music, but several songs that i listened to through google music then through flac right now on my main computer have a much less harsh sound on flac...

I'm also noticing more harshness when I turn the volume up on my E10. Could that just be the amp being limited?

EDIT:
Just realized that I had it on low gain... DOH. putting it on high gain got rid of a lot of the harshness. I feel smart.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so off hand. Glad you have sorted your problem. Any harshness should disappear with some more burning in. Might be worth borrowing a better headphone amp so see if there is an improvement.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #967 of 6,017
Missed delivery in the 5 minutes between mum leaving home and me getting back. ARGH! :frowning2: Now I have to wait until tomorrow so I can go pick them up from the delivery centre. :frowning2:

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #969 of 6,017

Quote:
Chase down the truck like I do. 
biggrin.gif

hmmm, assuming the truck moves at around 15 mph, stopping every 5 minutes for 2 minutes to drop off a package, and that the truck came to his house 2.5 mins before he got home, he would have to run at about 16 mph for a mile and a quarter to catch up to it before it moves on from its next stop. And that's a low estimate :p
I'd love to be able to run a 3.75 minute mile... 

Anyways, the headphones are definitely less harsh now that they've burned in for about 8 hours. It's quite interesting listening to the sound change gradually over time, at one point, around the 7 hour mark, I just noticed "Hey! no more harshness!".

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #970 of 6,017

Quote:
hmmm, assuming the truck moves at around 15 mph, stopping every 5 minutes for 2 minutes to drop off a package, and that the truck came to his house 2.5 mins before he got home, he would have to run at about 16 mph for a mile and a quarter to catch up to it before it moves on from its next stop. And that's a low estimate :p
I'd love to be able to run a 3.75 minute mile... 

No, no.  I didn't imply that he had to be like Forrest Gump.  I guess I had assumed he had a car.  I get into my car and head out looking for the truck.  Then I bust on 'em when I try to find out why they blew by my house the first time.  A few Saturdays back, I had an O2 amp that should have been delivered on a Saturday, but the driver was a new / temp driver who just dropped the quick mail into the boxes and left my priority mail package on the truck.  I went to my local post office and go the number to the mail distribution area where the trucks get loaded and spoke with the postmaster.  I explained how the driver completely ignored delivery my package, but I got the rest of the mail.  He assured me that she'd be back with my package before her day was over, and she was.  Hopefully, she got a bit of tongue lashing, too.  Now isn't the time to be messing up while working for the USPS as I'm sure they're looking for any small silly excuse to can you and get you off the payroll.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #971 of 6,017

Quote:

No, no.  I didn't imply that he had to be like Forrest Gump.  

But why? That takes all the fun out of my hypothesizing! 

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #972 of 6,017
Just got my pair in the mail. There were a couple of things missing from the package, but I'm not worried at this point as my experience so far with customer service has been very good. Just missing the velour earpads and travel case.

Liking the headphones so far, they feel very solid and fit well. The cup mounts are very sturdy and adjust smoothly and securely at each of the three movement axis. Weight and clamping force are more than I am used to, coming from Sennheiser HD-595's, but I don't think I will have any trouble getting used to them. The headband is very strong and springy, and takes well to a bit of gentle straightening to reduce the clamping force to preference. I don't think I will have much trouble getting used to wearing these for long periods.

Sound wise, I will reserve most of my impressions until I spend some more time with them, but to start with they are very detailed, clearly bringing out background noises from tracks where it had not been apparent before. And yes the bass is very strong, deep, and controlled.

Looking forward to wearing them in over the coming days, and maybe trying my hand at EQing them too.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #973 of 6,017

Quote:
Just got my pair in the mail. There were a couple of things missing from the package, but I'm not worried at this point as my experience so far with customer service has been very good. Just missing the velour earpads and travel case.

Liking the headphones so far, they feel very solid and fit well. The cup mounts are very sturdy and adjust smoothly and securely at each of the three movement axis. Weight and clamping force are more than I am used to, coming from Sennheiser HD-595's, but I don't think I will have any trouble getting used to them. The headband is very strong and springy, and takes well to a bit of gentle straightening to reduce the clamping force to preference. I don't think I will have much trouble getting used to wearing these for long periods.

Sound wise, I will reserve most of my impressions until I spend some more time with them, but to start with they are very detailed, clearly bringing out background noises from tracks where it had not been apparent before. And yes the bass is very strong, deep, and controlled.

Looking forward to wearing them in over the coming days, and maybe trying my hand at EQing them too.

If you can afford to, burn em in over night for a few nights. There's a very apparent smoothing of the (initially slightly harsh) treble after about 20 ~ 30 hours.

Btw, can you adjust them rotating around the vertical axis? It looks as though those joints can be swiveled but I can't seem to adjust them with some applied force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back