New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Mar 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #901 of 6,017
Tomorrow can't come fast enough, two months of waiting and it's almost here 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #903 of 6,017

Quote:

Well, then I guess you might be easily impressed.  I know in my case, I wasn't.  I couldn't believe how thick the sound was that I was hearing.  The mid-range might have been there, but it was easily trumped by the bass and the higher frequencies were nearly non-existent.  However, I kept reading the threads.  I kept absorbing the information that the others were supplying.  I had some friends PM me some good tips to follow for the modifications.  In the end, I have a headphone that is 100% better than the first day I opened it up and played it in its stock version.

Actually, in that response, I wasn't responding to you, but another member.  I responded to you with your # 3 question in your first set of questions.  I mentioned that the wood is not needed to get the most out of the Fostex headphones.

The only thing I could pick up with the wooden cups is that they were bored a bit but could have been opened up further.  What essentially exists is a much smaller air chamber for the driver to work with -- and, a big chunk of wood with the cup mass.  There have been issues with the previous Cedar versions cracking due to humidity changes and I also believe that the cups were made a bit thinner at the time.  I suspect that the original line of cups would have been better if they were thinner and there was more open area for the driver to operate in.  If I were opting for them, I'd get the Dremel out and go to town on carving out the inner meat of that wood a bit more.  As it stands right now, it looks more like an avacado with the pit removed.  You see a perfect circle, but a big mass of material around that indentation.  The indentation is treated with some felt, but that's it as far as dampening goes.

If you look at Smeggy's, it appears he has two small bass vents towards the bottom of the wooden cups.  They are fitted with some small circular brass looking metal pieces that make his work look real professional.  I do think with some elbow grease, one can take a pair of the cups and really work on the wood a bit more to get them more in the range of something like Smeggy is offering.

I perfectly understand that wooden cups aren't needed so i'm not interested in it but i deffenetely interested in replacenent cable but since i'm new to T50RP so i don't clearly understand if others are separate mods or a single requiring all materials you mentioned in your reply. Would you mind to clarify it for me (maybe using PM) and explaining what i should expect if it'd more then one mod involved

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #904 of 6,017

Quote:
Tomorrow can't come fast enough, two months of waiting and it's almost here 
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree. My HE-400s are in the country, past customs and *should* be here tomorrow.

I'll probably be doing/posting a unboxing video for those that are interested, figured I would since its a fairly rare/exotic item :) :p

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #905 of 6,017

Quote:
I agree. My HE-400s are in the country, past customs and *should* be here tomorrow.

I'll probably be doing/posting a unboxing video for those that are interested, figured I would since its a fairly rare/exotic item :) :p

If you're going to do an unboxing video could you combine some impressions of it? That's the way I wish people would do their unboxing vids.

For example: film the unboxing... then turn off the camera and listen to the headphones for a while and follow up with a "first impressions" section and edit the unboxing together with the first impressions... that information is much more interesting to me than seeing what the packaging looks like... but maybe I'm the only one.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #906 of 6,017

Quote:
If you're going to do an unboxing video could you combine some impressions of it? That's the way I wish people would do their unboxing vids.

For example: film the unboxing... then turn off the camera and listen to the headphones for a while and follow up with a "first impressions" section and edit the unboxing together with the first impressions... that information is much more interesting to me than seeing what the packaging looks like... but maybe I'm the only one.

Yea no worries, i'm not an expert but i'll do my best :) The only things I can compare it to (properly) is my pair of AD700s, will be out from my PC via the Ti HD and Matrix M-Stage amp. Don't really think I can compare it to the W3's as they are a whole other kettle of fish being IEMs and all....

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #908 of 6,017
Mine were shipped on the 14th but didn't get notice til the 17th.  It was delivered to the wrong address I assume today because it said customer refused delivery.  Hopefully Fedex will figure it out.  There's hope for those who haven't received notice yet as it seems they are maybe catching up on emailing notices of shipment.  

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #909 of 6,017
woot! they arrived!  Right out of the box first impressions from a audio newb.

accessories:
1/8in plug with a 1/4in adapter
Velvet bag
extra pleather earpads (belated downtime)
3.5"x5" hifiman quality inspection card? (in chinese)
The invoice made me laugh.  Written on it Sample of No Commercial Value $10
L-4E5AT canare cable made in japan.

-Headphones look well built, no worries about accidental droppage.
-Talking to myself with music playing is a novelty after having the m-50's on my head for so long.
-Plugged them into my 3rd gen Ipod Touch and volumes at 90%ish to get the loudness I like.  
  Sounds lacking needs more power. (pretty girls make graves - the new romance)
-Plugged into the hifiman express hm-101 and listening to flac files with foobar it sounds much better than the ipod. (@ work rig)
  Dosnt sound as good as my M-Audio BX5a studio monitors w/asus DG. (adele - rolling in the deep)  
  Sounds good and enjoying the bass. (The Faint - The conductor(Thin White Duke)mix) 
  This crackhead sounds different, highs a bit harsh? (Lana Del Rey - National Anthem)
-Plugged into Asus DG cheapo sound card (Exciter Mode or for >64ohms headsets)
   Sounds less harsh then on the hm-101, less bass also? (Lana Del Rey - National Anthem)
   Still prefer adele with the studio monitors
   1:30 into and the guitar sounds icky. (Tom Petty - Wildflowers)
   guitar sounds strange (Motley Crue - Merry-Go-Round)
   "ohh my god its the best." maybe ill trip like she does after I give it more bass with the equalizer. (The Crystal Method - Trip Like I Do)
   Fun. (2 Skinnee J's - The Best)
   Enjoying singing along with promoe. (Looptroop - Bandit Queen)
   "No one ever told me it would be like this" (Sam Roberts Band - Graveyard Shift)

Almost time for work so gonna let them burn in with random songs on my foobar list.
Enjoyed Hiphop and Electro, I hope guitar changes a bit after burn in

Edit:
ohh a few more! (Black Francis - Angels Come to Comfort You) His voice sounds good but the guitar still sounds different.
(Frank Black & The Catholics - New House of the Pope) I wish I could describe what I find lacking with this..

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #913 of 6,017

Quote:
Fedex failed to meet my estimated delivery ._. Hopefully they'll be here tomorrow

Mine too (well, not by Fedex), but apparently it takes Auspost more than 24 hours to fly a package from Sydney to Brisbane (it's a 1 hour commercial flight), so it wont be coming today sigh :frowning2:

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #915 of 6,017

Quote:

I perfectly understand that wooden cups aren't needed so i'm not interested in it but i deffenetely interested in replacenent cable but since i'm new to T50RP so i don't clearly understand if others are separate mods or a single requiring all materials you mentioned in your reply. Would you mind to clarify it for me (maybe using PM) and explaining what i should expect if it'd more then one mod involved

I think the best place to start is with the following thread.  This is where the birthplace of the Fostex modifications was started.  Also, I think it will keep our thread here on topic regarding the HifiMAN.  I'm a little tight with time to get involved with too many PMs at the moment.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back