New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Jan 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #406 of 6,017

Quote:
when did I said you can't buy some thing? I'm just saying you can give ortho a try since you can get full refund if you don't like them, I said DXKs are bass heavy for ME, not YOU! 
at least I'm trying to help here, some appreciation??? 

Most sincere apologies if I came off as an *******, it's the internet and sometimes true meanings of text can't be read because you really aren't hearing how I meant to say it.

What I mean is a lot, and I really do mean a lot of people of this forum are not near as much of a basshead as I am, I'd like to say at least half of the people on here are a lot older than I am (18) and listen to a lot more classical/sophisticated music, now I can appreciate that type of music, don't get me wrong, but for my style I really just love a hard hitting bass cause that gets me going more than anything else. So when a majority of people who aren't bassheads say that DXKs are bassheavy to them, it means it should be just right for me, Mad Lust has a similar taste in music as I do and we had a discussion about this so I have decided on the D2000s, I am not discrediting that the HE-400s will probably have a nice bass aspect and perhaps be a better all around listening device. But, for the time being I think that getting a set of cans that has that kind of bass like the D2Ks will be more fun and enjoyable for me. I really do appreciate all input from anybody regarding my question and I thank you for trying to help me with my decision, once again sorry if I seemed unappreciative.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #407 of 6,017
Lol photos by blankdisc of lots of people auditioning the HE-400s.

For a moment there I thought they actually have their own storage boxes, but those look too small to be for the cans themselves.

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1176704&fpage=2

I bet there will be a ton of impressions from various sources coming out next week.

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #409 of 6,017

Quote:
WOW!!! "Live" these blue headphones look VERY GOOD!!!

I like how it changes from a bright aquamarine blue under the camera flash, to a deep blue-black under low light lol.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #412 of 6,017
I got my HE 400 yesterday and so far I'm not at all sure what I think of them.  They definitely are bassy, and they have a V sound signature with the mids a bit recessed.  They are not as detailed as the Beyer DT 70s, nor are the highs as fast or crystal clear.  Vocal and instrument separation is less than the DT 70s.  Vocal timbre is not particularly distinct. They seem a bit veiled in the mid range.  Headstage is good.  They feel pretty comfortable despite being heavy.  This is all preliminary.  Sometimes I think they sound very musical, but sometimes I think the Beyer DT 70s are far better.  I've been listening through a variety of amps from various sources.  By comparison the Beyer DT 70s are a bit lacking in bass.  My favorite Sennheisers (the HD 595) seem like a better all round headphone, certainly way more bang for the buck.  I do like that the bass is emphasized but not boomy and not at all uncomfortable to listen to. 

This is all based on just a couple of hours.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #414 of 6,017
Double post.
Quote:
I got my HE 400 yesterday and so far I'm not at all sure what I think of them.  They definitely are bassy, and they have a V sound signature with the mids a bit recessed.  They are not as detailed as the Beyer DT 70s, nor are the highs as fast or crystal clear.  Vocal and instrument separation is less than the DT 70s.  Vocal timbre is not particularly distinct. They seem a bit veiled in the mid range.  Headstage is good.  They feel pretty comfortable despite being heavy.  This is all preliminary.  Sometimes I think they sound very musical, but sometimes I think the Beyer DT 70s are far better.  I've been listening through a variety of amps from various sources.  By comparison the Beyer DT 70s are a bit lacking in bass.  My favorite Sennheisers (the HD 595) seem like a better all round headphone, certainly way more bang for the buck.  I do like that the bass is emphasized but not boomy and not at all uncomfortable to listen to. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #415 of 6,017

Looking forward to your further impressions. 
Quote:

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #416 of 6,017
By the sound of that impression, it sounds like a lower end, warmer/smoother HE-4. Hope for more impressions. The HE-4 is awesome.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #417 of 6,017
Well, this is somewhat unexpected.

I ordered on the 11th and they've shipped?  Apparently they're already well within the US, I got a tracking number and it works.  Not sure why I've been sent a set so early...    Or it's just the set of HE series headphone connectors that I threw in in case I didn't like the stock cable.  

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #419 of 6,017

That's odd, I ordered well before the 10th and my status hasn't changed and the tracking number they gave me does not work. Most likely it's the extra cables, but I hope it isn't. We need more early impressions from people.

Quote:
Well, this is somewhat unexpected.

I ordered on the 11th and they've shipped?  Apparently they're already well within the US, I got a tracking number and it works.  Not sure why I've been sent a set so early...    Or it's just the set of HE series headphone connectors that I threw in in case I didn't like the stock cable.  

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #420 of 6,017
The weight on the head direct order page says 1340g, but the tracking page says 1.0 kg, which would be too much for the headphone connecters unless that figure is just some kind of minimum that they filled in.  Neither page makes any mention of splitting the order though.  Well, according to the tracking page I'll know in about...  9 hours.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back