New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Jan 11, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #316 of 6,017
Yeah, I keep refreshing hoping to find some more impressions...
Anyway, I found a few tidbits & photos over at techpowerup's CES live coverage page:

HiFiMAN's press conference gave us a unique opportunity to escape the noise of the show floors and get a good listen with the HiFiMAN HE-400 headphones. The HE-400s are the cheapest in HiFiMAN's planar magnetic headphone line-up and they carry on the gene

HiFiMAN is at CES 2012 showcasing three brand new products, including the high anticipated EF-6 amplifier. The HE-400 headphones were also at the stand and based on a good listen off the EF-6 these headphones are definitely priced right.

Not sure why the first quote is cut off, but hopefully their resident headphone guy will provide some more detailed impressions after the press conference!

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #317 of 6,017
The question is what does it mean to say the HE-400s are "priced right"? Does that mean

(a) they are priced to move (i.e., they sound very good and the low price means they are sure to be a hit), or

(b) they sound half as good as the HE-500s, so it is appropriate that they cost half as much?

Obviously, we all hope they mean (a), not (b)....

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #318 of 6,017
Here's one review from gizmodo, it's not specific enough but it is better than nothing. 
http://gizmodo.com/5875266/hifiman-he+400-ears+on-planar-magnetic-drivers-bring-bass-and-clarity-to-my-ears/gallery/1

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #320 of 6,017
Pre-ordered.

The reason being that from all the videos from CES, it's too obvious that it's so loud there that no one would be able to get any impression-level listening done; also the only reviewer who will have the HE-400 early is headfonia but they are not getting it until at least a week from now (it's being shipped to them today), well past pre-order time.

So yeah, taking a bit of a plunge into the unknown here but I'm awfully excited.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #321 of 6,017

Quote:
Pre-ordered.

The reason being that from all the videos from CES, it's too obvious that it's so loud there that no one would be able to get any impression-level listening done; also the only reviewer who will have the HE-400 early is headfonia but they are not getting it until at least a week from now (it's being shipped to them today), well past pre-order time.

So yeah, taking a bit of a plunge into the unknown here but I'm awfully excited.

Pretty awesome. Look forward to your impressions.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #322 of 6,017
Quote:
Pre-ordered.

Jude had a pair i believe...

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #323 of 6,017
I have my pre order in.  The site says they're shipping on the 15th, but that's a Sunday, so if all goes according to plan I suspect I'll have them on the 17th. I got the fast shipping because why not.  

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #324 of 6,017
This is just a guess but the 15th in the U.S. would be the 16th in China... its more likely they just messed up the dates but just trying to give them a break...
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
I have my pre order in.  The site says they're shipping on the 15th, but that's a Sunday, so if all goes according to plan I suspect I'll have them on the 17th. I got the fast shipping because why not.  

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #326 of 6,017
I keep clicking back to this thread hoping there is some new info.  I want to upgrade my m-50's that iv been listening to for a year now, the buying bug is back and its time to step up a notch.  The $350 range is the price id like to upgrade into.  

The throes of indecision.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #327 of 6,017

Quote:
I keep clicking back to this thread hoping there is some new info.  I want to upgrade my m-50's that iv been listening to for a year now, the buying bug is back and its time to step up a notch.  The $350 range is the price id like to upgrade into.  

The throes of indecision.

I preordered mine today. I was waiting around for more impressions as well but I don't think it's going to happen. In case you didn't know, they have a 30 day refund so if you do get them and end up not liking them you can always send them back and only lose the cost of shipping.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #328 of 6,017

Quote:
I preordered mine today. I was waiting around for more impressions as well but I don't think it's going to happen. In case you didn't know, they have a 30 day refund, so if you do get them and end up not liking them, you can always send them back and only lose the cost of shipping.

After rereading this thread for the 4th'ish time I clicked submit and pre-ordered. 
the ipods gonna have to power these for a few weeks.
Next step to break down and buy a dac, dac/amp combo, or upgrade the DG to a Essence.
so many choices... back to being indecisive.   *pulls the blanket back over his head*

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #329 of 6,017
I am in the same boat as you guys.  Indecision sucks!  The 30 day return does help, though.
Will wait another couple of hours and then probably pull the trigger.....or not. Ahhhh!

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #330 of 6,017
I'm waiting. I want to see some more subjective and hopefully some objective information.

Willing to pay the $50 premium. A clear "buy" signal for the HE-400s for me would be a large number of HE-500 fans who dismiss the HE-400 as "too bright," "too harsh," "too sharp," "too unrefined," and with "recessed mids."

I don't know. Maybe I'll just go with IEMs for work/isolation and the Mini Maggies + extra bass module + dual STF-1s for home. Or maybe I'll take up smoking marijuana for sonic enhancement. It's up in the air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back