New Here - Upgrade From HD212Pro?
Feb 19, 2008 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Infantry

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first of all this forum is incredible and thanks for having me! You guys are almost too in depth for me being a novice with headphones, but I do think that I'm learning. I've been a guitar player for going on 11 years, but have only recently got into the audiophile side of headphones. Not sure what took me so long because I've always been obsessed with my guitar tone. I'm a total gear whore when it comes to guitar/amp/cab/speaker experimentation.

I've had what I consider decent entry level headphones starting with the Senheiser HD 201 and now the HD 212Pro. The 212 pros seem pretty good to me, but not amazing by any means. No pai rof headphones has ever really wowed me. So now I'm ready to step into the true audiophile realm. I'd like to keep the price at around $200 American, and I am not opposed to getting an amp either if need be.

Mostly what I'll be using these for is listening to more extreme/fast metal, but also blues, jazz, classic/southern rock and acoustic guitar. I never really listen to rap or electronic music, just guitar driven music. I'm also a big time pc gamer, running through an X-FI card and these would be used heavily for that purpose. I also just bought an archos 605wifi PVP/MP3 player and it seems like these HD 212pros are a bit quiet on the archos. I'm heading to las vegas this coming week for a job interview and I fear these headphones wont be loud enough for the plane. I'm going to be watching plenty of movies with this archos. I've been playing in bands live for a while now and I think even though I'm young my hearing might not be what it used to be, so maybe I'll have to invest in an amp of some sort to boost the volume. I'm not sure. I'd like to avoid damaging my hearing anymore than I already have.

I think what I'm looking for as far as sound is an overall warm character with really tight bass. I'm not a big fan of ear piercing highs, but I like my clarity as well. This is probably impossible to obtain but I figured you guys here on these boards would be a great help.

Any advice would be welcome!

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 7
While more bright than warm, headphones made by Grado Labs are known to be the best at rock, and make guitars sound better than you ever thought possible. They're very fast, which is what makes them so good for rock music and those types. They have punchy, but not boomy, bass.

Under $200, you're looking at a sweet spot in the Grado line, the SR-225. Find a place near you that stocks it, and give a listen. It could be just what you're looking for.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 7
I owned the HD212Pros and found them pretty bad. The bass is bloated, boomy and generally out of control. Everything else is super muddy. I would suggest getting something like the Grado SR-60s for home use (~$69) and a pair of Etymotic ER-6i for travelling (~$80). Neither need an amp, and both are good for the type of music you listed.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While more bright than warm, headphones made by Grado Labs are known to be the best at rock, and make guitars sound better than you ever thought possible. They're very fast, which is what makes them so good for rock music and those types. They have punchy, but not boomy, bass.

Under $200, you're looking at a sweet spot in the Grado line, the SR-225. Find a place near you that stocks it, and give a listen. It could be just what you're looking for.

perhaps I've just been looking for the wrong things in headphones. Maybe I don't necessarily want it to be overly warm. if it's bright and clear that is fine, i just don't want it to be overly harsh. I'll do some reading on the SR-225's

Quote:

Originally Posted by wangerin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like senns qaulity, HD595 are easy to drive.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...-595-a-297799/

Thanks man, I'll read up on these as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the HD212Pros and found them pretty bad. The bass is bloated, boomy and generally out of control. Everything else is super muddy. I would suggest getting something like the Grado SR-60s for home use (~$69) and a pair of Etymotic ER-6i for travelling (~$80). Neither need an amp, and both are good for the type of music you listed.

Actually this doesn't seem like a bad idea as it would solve my problems at home and on the plane. Do you think opting for the 225 grados instead of the 60's and then picking up the etymotics later on would be a better move? I'm thinking maybe I should just buy the 60's since they seem to be a great entryway into audiophile headphones and are obviously agreed apon as being geared for guitar driven music. I could get the in ears as well like you said and that would be pretty cool...decisions decisions! I wonder how good the grados would be for fps gaming....but music/movies is my main concern in the end.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 7
I think I might just pull the trigger on the ER-6i's after doing some reading since they seem to be enjoyed by people into metal/rock. I think with their isolation characteristics they will be good for my trip to vegas and make watching movies on the plane a lot better. When I get home maybe I'll snag a pair of the grado 80's and amp them up. I have a feeling these two will be a worthy entry point into audiophile territory. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back