New here - looking for advice on high end portable over / on ear headphones for audiophile...
Oct 15, 2014 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Morphious

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here, my first post actually. I'm an audiophile, mainly big traditional systems.Recently I've been looking to build a home/portable solution that can be used around the house, connected to my systems, or when traveling.   I listen to a little bit of everything, but prefer electronica such as Depeche Mode.  As I have lost a little bit of my hearing over time, I do prefer really nice sharp treble over big bass.... 

In the $800 to $2000 range, over ear or on ear, what currently is the all around best headphones for this type of mixed use? I would also prefer interchangeable cables as well.. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 28
Hi!

What about Beyerdynamic T5p?

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 28
I took a quick look at the  Beyerdynamic T5p.  I do like the look, but the cables are not removable. This is an issue for me as I Love to play around with different cables for different types of music.  Having 3 pairs for my main system.   I think this wil be just as fun for headphones as well... 

SteveHIFI  -  About the LCD-XC  I was not going to mention his one, but it has been on my If I can have the perfect headphones, it would be a portable version of these!   I'v read all the reviews and looked at all the charts I could find, and this one seems to have one of ( if not ) the best overall frequency response with the lowest THD at any price. 

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 28
Perhaps you can look at the Alpha dogs --

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686489/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-review-and-comparison-with-hd600-and-k701

These are portable planars but I have no personal experience - same with the PM-1

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 28
To clarify, what constitutes portable use for you?

I'm assuming they need to be closed-back headphones that you can use in public with a portable player.

I was going to suggest the Fostex TH-900, but you specified that you want detachable cables, so never mind.

For non-portable use, there are many better open-back headphone options.

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 28
Hi Morphious, welcome to the forum  
bigsmile_face.gif

The Audeze's are great but are not good for travel.  At all.

The OPPOs are OK for travel & have less sound leakage.  I would not describe them as having a 'nice sharp treble' compared to some other cans (Beyerdynamics for instance) but they aren't slouches either.   Definitely worth a listen, there is a new OPPO lending thread that just opened around here somewhere, you can sign up to have them sent to you.  If you go the OPPO route I suggest you look at the PM-2s (exact same sound as PM-1s for less $$) or the PM-3s.

The removable cable bit is going to limit you in this unless you are willing to pay for mods.  If you can do without that, for treble extension I would suggest looking at various Beyerdynamics or possibly the Fostex TH-600.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 28
The TH600/900 have no isolation, they are semi-open headphones and have long, non-detachable cable that are ill-suited for outside use.  There aren't that many truly portable high end over-ear headphones out there (LCD-XC is too heavy and large imo for portables).  Most of the high end stuff in portable is in the CIEMs market.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 28
  The TH600/900 have no isolation, they are semi-open headphones and have long, non-detachable cable that are ill-suited for outside use.  There aren't that many truly portable high end over-ear headphones out there (LCD-XC is too heavy and large imo for portables).  Most of the high end stuff in portable is in the CIEMs market.

Agreed generally, I use the TH900 in hotel rooms but I wouldn't walk around outside with it.  Works acceptably well with portable DACs\AMPs or even the PC line out.

OPPO PM-3 should be an interesting can for this purpose.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #11 of 28
Thank you Za - I'm not really into the CIEM's. I do not feel very comfortable wearing them, and i'm a little old school on that one am still not sold on the ability to get super high grade sound from them, due to size.    I may be wrong and I am new to this, just starting my learning and have a huge learning curve ahead. Are there any CIEM that have HD800 or LCD-X qualities?  Names please....

TH-600/900 do not meet the requirements.    LCD-XC is Big and heavy, definitely not be the best for traveling....But everything else about them loos spectacular!

From what I read, with the PM-1 with the Alt earpads seem to add a little more treble. 

If anyone has an LCD-XC, OPPO PM-1 or Ultrasone Signature Pro they might want to trade for a new pair of Google Glass (with single earbud)  PM me :) 

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 28
  Are there any CIEM that have HD800 or LCD-X qualities?  Names please....

The Logitech Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors and Final Audio Design LAB I are said to have very good sound quality, with sound signatures akin to some of the best circumaural headphones. The LAB I, though rare, is universal fit too, so you don't need to visit an audiologist for custom ear molds.

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 28
some closed headphones with detachable cables, not sure if they qualify as protables:

Shure SRH1540
Alpha Dog / Alpha Prime
ZMF X Vibro
FAD Pandora Hope VI

not yet released:
Sony MDR-Z7
Oppo PM-3

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #15 of 28
I Really like the Sony MDR-Z7, seem to be priced right, the frequency response of 3hz to 100Khz will make the neighbors dog insane!!!!  But how well will they travel and sound.... The speaker seems to be huge in these as well. Looking forward to hearing them! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back