New here lookin for some advice
May 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #16 of 23
I found this review of my Bravo Audio amp where they tested it with 650's and it was pretty glowing... what is a good price on them?

That deal that wolfetan mentioned is the best price I've seen. The MSRP on them is $500 I think but it seems like it's pretty easy to find them for cheaper.

May 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
Quote:
I found this review of my Bravo Audio amp where they tested it with 650's and it was pretty glowing... what is a good price on them?

That deal that wolfetan mentioned is the best price I've seen. The MSRP on them is $500 I think but it seems like it's pretty easy to find them for cheaper.

Its most likely the cheapest new price you can get these days. 

May 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #18 of 23
I love mine too. The HD650's and DT880's compliment themselves VERY well.

Would you say that the 650s are the logical step up from the 880s? I'm already compiling a list for my next purchase.

Sorry to hijack the thread haha.

May 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #19 of 23
You can usually find open boxes or demos on ebay or amazon marketplace for a decent discount on any electronics.  Hmmmmm, maybe it's worth waiting a little extra to get the money for the 650s

May 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
Quote:
I love mine too. The HD650's and DT880's compliment themselves VERY well.

Would you say that the 650s are the logical step up from the 880s? I'm already compiling a list for my next purchase.

Sorry to hijack the thread haha.

Its a sidegrade. Not a step up, you could think it is though. It compliments very well though.

May 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #21 of 23
You can usually find open boxes or demos on ebay or amazon marketplace for a decent discount on any electronics.  Hmmmmm, maybe it's worth waiting a little extra to get the money for the 650s

I tried looking on the Amazon US site but they don't have any of those open box discounts. I would say that it would probably be worth it to wait and save for the 650s, I've never personally used them but they're one of the most well regarded headphones on the market, you really can't go wrong with them.

May 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #22 of 23
To tide me over I found my Image s4 earbuds to use with my phone, connected by Turtle Beach X42s to my computer's digital out and sold my Klipsch Image ONE for $60 on eBay along with an older pair of Turtle Beach X12s for $40 and bought a refurbished pair of the HD 558's for $120 off eBay after reading up on them I figured that $20 for a pair of them really wasn't bad.  Plus I got some clutter cleared up.  All in all I had to spend $15 on a quality opticalaudio connector to plug into the aux jack on my laptop so $35 for Sennheisser HD558s.  The reason I have so many headphones is I live in the city in an Apt building and after living in my parents basement apartment for awhile where I could enjoy my Klipsch Reference RE-62 Floor Speakers and not incur brutal punishment from the neighbors so now it's headphones headphones headphones... (not that I'm willing to think about selling those babies, got a second part time job just to get um).  My plan is to make a HD650 Jar and contribute to it regularly.

Which brings me to another question, because I''ve just recently gotten into the tube amp scene I was wondering if some things I had read in customer reviews of my Bravo Audio V2 12AU7 that said it was worth replacing the OEM tube in it (that is quite easy to do as the open design provides easy access to the entire unit) but they range from the "this was horrible til I replaced the tube" to "eventually I found replacing the original tube made a fantastic amp even better"... I know it's kind of a tangent but any thoughts?

May 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #23 of 23
I replied to another thread you started with a link to this site which goes over some other mods you can do to your V2 amp. I've made most of them and I don't think I spent more than $30 to do the mods, assuming you already have a soldering station. My V2 can drive my DT880 600ohm cans and the HD650s but I think I'll get the bottlehead crack next since it is a true tube amp, not a hybrid like the V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back