New here lookin for some advice
May 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

sixly

Head-Fier
Hey, new here and was asking for some advice. For my digital music (laptop and phone) I run (usually) a .flac loseless media file through a Bravo Audio V2 Class A 12AU7 Tube Multi-Hybrid Headphone Amplifier and hook my old trusty pair of Sennheisser HD558s (or Klipsch Image ONEs if space is limited). But it's time for new headphones I feel... and I've been so satisified with my Senns I'm kinda behind it. Suggestions? Thanks!

May 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 23
I'd say the next step are HD 650s or HiFiman HE 400s, commonly praised here.

no personal experiences so here's some threads: http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread

May 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 23
Thanks.  I was so amazed by the quality of that tiny Bravo Audio amp I want to do it justice.  

I don't really know as much about headphones as I do home/car audio and for speakers I've ALWAYS turned to Klipsch.... what are their premium headphones line?

May 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 23
  • What's your price range?
  • Do you prefer open or closed back, or no preference?
  • What kind of music do you listen to? Do you prefer more neutral or bassy?

I agree with the 650s, but they can be a bit pricey.

May 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 23
Not very well liked as they don't have great balance/SQ for the price. Their IEMs are better for sure.

May 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 23
Well Klipsch is famous for the design of it's speakers so it's perfectly understandable that doesn't translate automatically into brilliant design when the speakers are too small even for micro-horns :wink:.

My price range is... well here is the thing, the Bravo isn't punchy, what makes it so outstanding is the crispness and clarity of the mids and highs.  The bass response superb but the clarity is something else all together.  I prefer closed ear cans with some decent padding.

As far as music taste goes my motto is "if it's good I'll like it".  So everything from abstract underground hiphop to modal jazz and fiona apple :)  I guess in the end what would you say is the best bang for say, $250?

May 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 23
Well Klipsch is famous for the design of it's speakers so it's perfectly understandable that doesn't translate automatically into brilliant design when the speakers are too small even for micro-horns :wink:.

My price range is... well here is the thing, the Bravo isn't punchy, what makes it so outstanding is the crispness and clarity of the mids and highs.  The bass response superb but the clarity is something else all together.  I prefer closed ear cans with some decent padding.

As far as music taste goes my motto is "if it's good I'll like it".  So everything from abstract underground hiphop to modal jazz and fiona apple :)  I guess in the end what would you say is the best bang for say, $250?

The 650s are $500 and open back so I'd say they're out of the running. My suggestion would be the Beyerdynamic DT 770. It's closed back and well-regarded here for being detailed and clear. It's also really easy to find them under $200.

May 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:
Quote:
Well Klipsch is famous for the design of it's speakers so it's perfectly understandable that doesn't translate automatically into brilliant design when the speakers are too small even for micro-horns
wink.gif

As far as music taste goes my motto is "if it's good I'll like it".  So everything from abstract underground hiphop to modal jazz and fiona apple
smily_headphones1.gif
 I guess in the end what would you say is the best bang for say, $250?

The 650s are $500 and open back so I'd say they're out of the running. My suggestion would be the Beyerdynamic DT 770. It's closed back and well-regarded here for being detailed and clear. It's also really easy to find them under $200.

You can get them for $400 from Razordogaudio like I did a couple days ago:D

May 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 23
You can get them for $400 from Razordogaudio like I did a couple days ago:D

Wow that's a great deal, I would jump on it if I hadn't just bought new cans :p

May 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 23
May 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 23
What did you buy?
size]

Beyer DT 880s. Absolutely love them but I could do with a teeny bit more lows, I'm still waiting for enough burn in though. They absolutely destroy my old M50s :dt880smile:

May 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 23
Kinda funny, I bought that Bravo Audio amp almost more because I thought it was art @ $50 and it's absolutely stunned me with how good it is.  Boy the Brit's can really make a quality product when they set their mind to it lol.  And thanks, for the advice, I live in the DC area... I know a really good place for stereo stuff but they don''t really carry headphones, anyone know of a store you can go and hear some of these sets?  

May 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 23
Kinda funny, I bought that Bravo Audio amp almost more because I thought it was art @ $50 and it's absolutely stunned me with how good it is.  Boy the Brit's can really make a quality product when they set their mind to it lol.  And thanks, for the advice, I live in the DC area... I know a really good place for stereo stuff but they don''t really carry headphones, anyone know of a store you can go and hear some of these sets?  

The only places I know where you can try headphones are Guitar Center and Fry's Electronics. I don't like either of them but they seem to be the only places in my area unless you go to a small music or audio store.

May 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 23
May 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 23
I found this review of my Bravo Audio amp where they tested it with 650's and it was pretty glowing... what is a good price on them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back