New here. IEM doubts, HELP please!.
Jul 7, 2013 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NotFunny

New Head-Fier
Hi
I have been around here reading stuff for a few weeks, had passed by a few times before.

Recently I decided to finally spend some money into a good IEM. So...

I don't know exactly what is my type of signature and that is my main problem...

I listen to:
20% POP, nowadays rock
10% blues and new orleans kind of stuff
5%   classic
15% John Mayer, Jack Johnson 
20% Classic rock, from Boston to Led Zeppelin... Queen
20% Metal, from Ozzy to Blind Guardian... Metallica and Iron Maiden

So I think i can put myself in the balance zone for a IEM signature. But i'm afraid that i'll have no bass punch at all... I want that warm or pucnhy bass when that is needed for the sound to be fun.
With that i would like good highs for my Metal and clarity for that classic and blues stuff.

It seems that I am asking to much, but ALSO i have small ear canals so the nozzle can't be to big.

With that said I am beetwen:

Shure se215 for its value and wamr bass and mids and seems to have a small nozzle.
-Am afraid it isn't balanced enough.

and

Vsonic GR07 MK2 for its balance and lots of acessories.
-Am afraid the nozzle is to big and it doesn't bring the punchy or warm bass when needed.

I am open to go as far as $200, but can't go that only $40-50 extra bucks over the $200.

If someone with similar tastes good show your thoughs about my concerns on the IEM options i showed or give opnions on other IEM's that would be great for my profile that would be the best help ever.

Hope I can have a good experience with my new IEM and come back to review it from the POV of a newcomer to this hobby.

EDIT: Gonna use it with my Galaxy Nexus and work desktop (not great or ideal, but is what I got)

Jul 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 12
So, i found the GR07 Bass edition on ebay for U$160 and i think I'm gonna buy it... It looks like has this little bit of extra bass that won't let me down for my need without excessive punch.

If it doesn't fit i will try to sell it and buy the shure with comply TS-100.

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 12
You better go for either Hifiman RE-400 or for Shure SE215 Limited/Special Edition. Shure SE215 SE/LE is still balanced like SE215 but has additional bass boost. Also the tips are important. When you use it with foam tips sound is more balanced. When you use it with rubber tips sound is bassier.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm afraid that the hifiman RE-400 won't be the best fit, I am leaning towards over the ear cables for more stability.

I'm sorry but I hadn't heard of Shure se215 SE/LE until now and didn't find anything about it now =/

For what I heard, Shure se215 is what I've been looking in the bass area, but it seems the GR07 Bass edition also have that plus it is more clear in the MID and HIGH, besides it has more soundstage.

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I'm afraid that the hifiman RE-400 won't be the best fit, I am leaning towards over the ear cables for more stability.

I'm sorry but I hadn't heard of Shure se215 SE/LE until now and didn't find anything about it now =/

For what I heard, Shure se215 is what I've been looking in the bass area, but it seems the GR07 Bass edition also have that plus it is more clear in the MID and HIGH, besides it has more soundstage.

The RE-400's are designed to work both over the ear and straight down.    I ALWAYS use mine over-the-ear with no issues whatsoever.

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Shure SE215 Limited Edition (Special Edition in east asia) is discontinued. It was really limited edition. But you can still search and find some from different sellers. I bought mine through a seller in ebay. I am sure about genuinity since it was approved by main Shure distributor in Hong-Kong. Also you can look for a pair of second hand pair.

Of course since it is discontinued remaining brand new ones are now much more expensive than real retail price.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I have rather small canals, rather small outer ear, as well as enough of a difference between my two ears that I really should just suck it up and get customs. I have a ton of fit problems, but the RE-400s are the least of my worries. Easy to try a ton of different tips with them for inner ear seal (selection they come with is, admittedly, a bit odd), and the housings are so small that outer ear issues are nonexistent. I've had good luck with both the small and medium tips that come with JBuds (which I wait for a deal on and buy for the tips) - the smalls are tiny and make an amazingly small-looking and -fitting package. Also, as was already mentioned, they wear just fine either direction. Don't think you can go wrong with 'em.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks a lot for all, guys.

Even though I stick it up with my ambition and bought the GR07 BE I will certainly buy the HiFiMan RE-400 if this doesn't work out for me.

The thing is that I live in Brazil and it is to expensive to buy it here, so I bought the GR07 BE for a good deal on eBay and will certainly sell it easy if it doesn't fit my expectations.
After that, I have an uncle going to USA in november who can bring the RE-400 for me.

Just to give you guys and idea of the price here:
GR07 BE = U$180 = R$400 (R$ = reais)
Price of it here: about R$800 - 1.000

But my descent first intenrship pays about the same quantity (U$1 - R$1) of money it would in USA.

So for an american what costs about 15% of his first internship costs about 75% -  85% of mine.

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 12
I would have got the GR07 too but it is almost double the price than that of the RE-400 or SE215, either which I'm planning to get soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back