New here, but now I get it!
Feb 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chickpea

New Head-Fier
So listening to one of my favorite classical recordings at work today, Glenn Gould -- Bach - Goldberg Variations (1955).

This is supposedly one of the standout, shockwave, ultimate recordings of piano soloist performances ever produced.  I always loved it, but then today I discovered, GOULD SINGS AND HUMS (faintly) THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE RECORDING!!!!!  

Ok, so I am certain this is well known in the audiofile community and classical music enthusiast community and a cursory search of this music here on this forum would have revealed this to me.  But, then again I never new he did during his playing, so how would I know to search for this.

Stunned.  Just stunned.  And this from a $80 DAC/Amp (E7) and $90 Grado sr80is (yeah, yeah I know, these aren't meant for classical, so apparently this is blasphemy).  I ripped the CD to flac btw.

It just adds a whole different dimension to my listening experience.  What a lovely surprise!  It's like rediscovering your music.  I know I don't need to tell this community this, but I just had to share.  

With this in mind, what are some other discoveries with your favorite music that you have made?  

(sorry if this is already the subject of numerous threads, just got excited to share).

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
So listening to one of my favorite classical recordings at work today, Glenn Gould -- Bach - Goldberg Variations (1955).

This is supposedly one of the standout, shockwave, ultimate recordings of piano soloist performances ever produced.  I always loved it, but then today I discovered, GOULD SINGS AND HUMS (faintly) THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE RECORDING!!!!!  

Ok, so I am certain this is well known in the audiofile community and classical music enthusiast community and a cursory search of this music here on this forum would have revealed this to me.  But, then again I never new he did during his playing, so how would I know to search for this.

Stunned.  Just stunned.  And this from a $80 DAC/Amp (E7) and $90 Grado sr80is (yeah, yeah I know, these aren't meant for classical, so apparently this is blasphemy).  I ripped the CD to flac btw.

It just adds a whole different dimension to my listening experience.  What a lovely surprise!  It's like rediscovering your music.  I know I don't need to tell this community this, but I just had to share.  

With this in mind, what are some other discoveries with your favorite music that you have made?  

(sorry if this is already the subject of numerous threads, just got excited to share).

Yup...in fact, Glenn Gould is notorious for humming along in his recordings.

As you learn to listen more carefully, you'll notice all sorts of little anomalies in your favorite records. Ever heard Paul curse in one of the most famous Beatle songs? It's there and millions of people have never heard it. You'll hear doors close, people walk across the stage and tons of other stuff.

Enjoy it and welcome to the world of audiophiles!

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks!  I figured that Gould must be notorious for this (classical enthusiasts are somewhat fanatical and I could imagine that this was a well-known habit of his considering how famous he is), it's simply I have never read up too much about performance artists yet.  I also just heard him tapping his foot during an aggressively tempoed portion of the recording as well.  Had to rewind to make sure I wasn't hearing things HA!

I have begun reading the artists wikipedia articles while I am listening to them via Amarok (linux music player on KDE).  If you've never tried that music player and use linux, I recommend it highly.  In fact, in my opinion it's the best player on any platform.  

Certainly makes it easy for you to read up on an artist while you are listening to their music.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Thanks!  I figured that Gould must be notorious for this (classical enthusiasts are somewhat fanatical and I could imagine that this was a well-known habit of his considering how famous he is), it's simply I have never read up too much about performance artists yet.  I also just heard him tapping his foot during an aggressively tempoed portion of the recording as well.  Had to rewind to make sure I wasn't hearing things HA!

I have begun reading the artists wikipedia articles while I am listening to them via Amarok (linux music player on KDE).  If you've never tried that music player and use linux, I recommend it highly.  In fact, in my opinion it's the best player on any platform.  

Certainly makes it easy for you to read up on an artist while you are listening to their music.

Reading about an artist while listening to their music is one of my favorite things to do.  It helps me "connect" with what I'm hearing.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 8
I had a similar experience with Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue where my new equipment allowed me to hear the noise from the keys of the clarinet soloist at the start of the piece.  Stuff like that really can blow your mind if you had no idea it was there previously.

Arturo Toscanini was also notorious for being audible even with the full orchestra playing in some recordings.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Yes, indeed.  I think I heard a similar effect in a Louis Armstrong recording, right before he plays he tests the keys on his trumpet and you can hear the keys lightly hitting (tap, tap, tap, tap).  I am almost certain I heard it.  I was a classical musician when I was in high school (playing oboe in numerous orchestras, chamber groups, bands, theater pits, etc.), so I am very well attuned to the mechanical sounds of classical instruments.  And I cannot believe that Armstrong made such a horrible no no, you don't hit your keys so loud that they make a sound!  Plus it's more a nervous tick/bad habit of trumpeters and not really useful for anything other than making pad noises instead of music!  

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 8
There are a lot of classical music fans who would like to find equipment that makes it so you CAN'T hear Gould's humming and sqeaky chair!

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 8
The same thing happened to me on "The flame of youth" by Dragonforce.
I've listened to it for years with earbuds, then with my AKG K 450's. Then I built a CMoy amp that didn't change anything on my K 450's. Then I bought a pair of SR80i's.
"First listening session with Grado cans... Let's play something great..." At the middle of the track, I noticed there was something different on this song. I listened carefully... and discovered that there are two singers on this song. I was just stunned.
Things like this bring a very special feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back