New here and need some advice for under a Helmet
Oct 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #16 of 35
May I suggest please do not wear sound isolating IEMs under helmet? I had accident riding a bike with IEMs.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:
May I suggest please do not wear sound isolating IEMs under helmet? I had accident riding a bike with IEMs.

It's either spend $400 an a new helmet that may or may not lessen the noise I get while riding or a set of IEMs. As I stated above, the noise is deafening without hearing protection and I tend to daydream with just earplugs in and no sound (daydreaming is not a good thing!). Music seems to help me stay alert but I understand your concern. There are too many people on the road these days that don't pay attention.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

The SE215 is great in its own right, and you won't find it lacking unless you're used to better iems.

At the price of the the SE215 and the PFE 012 I could afford both. I may go that route so that I can at least judge the difference between the brands. I can add the filters for the PFEs for a few $$ more.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:
Right now I'm trying to figure out which of the above will give me the best bang for my $$. The Shure's price point is hard to pass up (as GN-0015 pointed out above) and the PFE's will probably require me to spend another $15 on comply tips to get the isolation I want.

Comply tips are included with all PFE models except for the 012/022. I would not suggest you to go for the 012/022 because not only they have no accessories other than 3 sizes of silicon tips, they only include one pair of green "bass-enhancing" filters. A set of 112 gives you lots of accessories but you will only get the black and grey filters and you will need to buy the greens separately.

If my wallet was thicker, I'd buy it a few weeks ago but then came a guy who wanted to sell his TDK BA200 to me at about half of it's original price and I couldn't refuse it. Which brings me to another recommendation that I somehow forgot to tell you earlier. The BA200s are awesome that even if I paid for it's full price, I wouldn't regret it much. I had a brief listen to the Shure SE215, and as far as I can remember, the BA200s sound basically the same as the Shures, but more detailed. The Shures had more bass though, but I'm no longer a bass-head.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #21 of 35
This has come up earlier and I know phlashbios disagrees with me.

Ear protection on a motorcycle is eminently sensible. With noise levels of 100-110dbA at 80mph you need it.

The quietest lid I know are the Schuberth lids, they are about 85dbA at 60mph. For a naked bike. YMMV for faired bikes.

I am writing on my phone, so can't get into too much detail, but there is loads of information a Google away.

To the OP.

The only qualm with the SE215 is the strains on the replaceable cable fixing gettin the helmet on and off. Go fixed cable.

A set of the Cosmic ears pure plus would be good. Or a small set of BA (rock it 50?)

This is not an incitement to a flaming session, but after riding 20k miles in just over a year unprotected, my hearing is

noticeably worse than it was before.

I generally had radio4 on.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:
It's either spend $400 an a new helmet that may or may not lessen the noise I get while riding or a set of IEMs. As I stated above, the noise is deafening without hearing protection and I tend to daydream with just earplugs in and no sound (daydreaming is not a good thing!). Music seems to help me stay alert but I understand your concern. There are too many people on the road these days that don't pay attention.

I understand, for me it is not very safe when riding bikes without hearing enviroment noises and alerts.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #23 of 35
I went with the PFE 012 and ordered a set of the grey filters and Comply Foam tips. That basically makes it a PFE112 for about $40 less. Have the FiiO E11 as well on the way. I figured that if the PFE's dont work out for me I can send them back and try the Shure's.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I spent hours researching and listening to a lot of opinions so we'll see how that pays off. I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to test everything.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:
I went with the PFE 012 and ordered a set of the grey filters and Comply Foam tips. That basically makes it a PFE112 for about $40 less. Have the FiiO E11 as well on the way. I figured that if the PFE's dont work out for me I can send them back and try the Shure's.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I spent hours researching and listening to a lot of opinions so we'll see how that pays off. I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to test everything.

The PFE should offer great music enjoyment. Congrats on purchase! They pair nicely with the E11

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

The PFE should offer great music enjoyment. Congrats on purchase! They pair nicely with the E11

True. PFE can be quite shy for some people, so some extra volume with the E11 is the way to go. And whenever I talk about the PFE, my wallet will slap me repeatedly because it knows I'm wet-dreaming to get the PFE232 soon 
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:
True. PFE can be quite shy for some people, so some extra volume with the E11 is the way to go. And whenever I talk about the PFE, my wallet will slap me repeatedly because it knows I'm wet-dreaming to get the PFE232 soon 
biggrin.gif

From everything I've read about the PFE 232 they are phenomenal! Sadly out of my budget so I doubt I'll ever see these in my possession. All my gear comes in tomorrow (I have a Audio Technica ATH-AD700 that I'm doing the Mod-Mic add on ) So I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it .

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #29 of 35
So far they sound amazing and I haven't even tried the grey filters yet. They isolate about the same as my older Shure's even with the Comply foam tips, that's the only thing I wish were better. No problems with them under my helmet as they pretty much disappear when wearing them. Hardly can tell they're there they're that comfortable.

They do sound much better amped though. I had to take my iPhone out of it's case to try this because the connector cable that came with the E11 would not fit with the case on. I have a cable coming from Monoprice to work with my case and it should be here soon but I can't listen to it amped while riding because I'm anal and wont have my phone without a case.

Still getting used to a consistent insertion method but I'll figure that out eventually. Would still like to try the Ety's because of their isolation features but that's have to wait.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:
So far they sound amazing and I haven't even tried the grey filters yet. They isolate about the same as my older Shure's even with the Comply foam tips, that's the only thing I wish were better. No problems with them under my helmet as they pretty much disappear when wearing them. Hardly can tell they're there they're that comfortable.

They do sound much better amped though. I had to take my iPhone out of it's case to try this because the connector cable that came with the E11 would not fit with the case on. I have a cable coming from Monoprice to work with my case and it should be here soon but I can't listen to it amped while riding because I'm anal and wont have my phone without a case.

Still getting used to a consistent insertion method but I'll figure that out eventually. Would still like to try the Ety's because of their isolation features but that's have to wait.

They are really that comfortable and people seem to overlook that. The PFE 1xx and PFE232 are the two most comfortable IEMs I have ever tried/owned. Yes, they like being amped and really like the extra boost, especially in the Bass. I would have to say the PFE 1xx is comparable to IEMs costing up to $300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back