New here and also need a recommendation for headphones for metal
Dec 12, 2014 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AlexMicallef

New Head-Fier
Hey, so I'm very new to all this and I've been wanting to buy pair of over ear headphones for myself. My budget is around $200 (could maybe go a little more). I listen to a lot of metal/metalcore (August burns red, Parkway drive, Texas in july, ect) I also listen to a bit of hardcore and post-hardcore. I listen to Lights (the musician) a ton as well. I do listen to other genres as well but not a lot. I've done a bit of looking around and I've seen quite a few people recommending Grado brand. a few people were saying sr80i. My dad has a pair of Ps500s that I tried out for a few days. they sounded great, but I guess i'm a bit more of a basshead than I thought. I felt like i needed more of it. ( I kind of want to feel my music with bass drops or breakdowns a bit more than I am). the reason I am ruling out Grado is that they are uncomfortable to me and I also don't really like the way they look. So if anyone could help recommend anything for me that would be great. I just saw future shop has sennheiser hd558 on sale for $180 from $280. would anyone reccomend them? Also I would be using these in public and at home, but opened back or closed doesn't really matter much to me. Sorry if im all over the place. I'm sort of lost on what to look for here. anyways, let me know.

Edit: I would also like to get or make a portable amp. not sure if I should have mentioned that.

Thanks
Alex

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 14
Hello mate, you should consider Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm version, really comfortable headphones with powerful bass and quite detailed treble. Something like Fiio E10K would be a great complement for them.

You might be also interested in the Yamaha Pro 400/500 I'm not sure what's their price where you live. Despite their fashion ('motorbike inspired') looks, these headphones have proven to provide very good sound quality yet a consumer friendly sound signature.

Best Luck!

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 14
Check out what Grado has to offer. I've got a pair of Grado 325i's that are my rock headphone. They emphasize things such as the snap of the snare and the crash of the cymbal better than most. They're regarded as some of the best rock and metal headphones out there. It's a really unique sound signature (large emphasis on highs) that you may or may not like, however. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 14
Thank you for responding. Will definitely look into the headphones you mentioned. Just wondering, is there any reason you recommend tho 80 ohm over the 32? im guessing because ill be using an amp on it?
  Hello mate, you should consider Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm version, really comfortable headphones with powerful bass and quite detailed treble. Something like Fiio E10K would be a great complement for them.

You might be also interested in the Yamaha Pro 400/500 I'm not sure what's their price where you live. Despite their fashion ('motorbike inspired') looks, these headphones have proven to provide very good sound quality yet a consumer friendly sound signature.

Best Luck!

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 14
  Check out what Grado has to offer. I've got a pair of Grado 325i's that are my rock headphone. They emphasize things such as the snap of the snare and the crash of the cymbal better than most. They're regarded as some of the best rock and metal headphones out there. It's a really unique sound signature (large emphasis on highs) that you may or may not like, however. 

Thanks for your response as well! but as i said, The bass on the Grado's just don't feel heavy enough for me and they really hurt my ears after about 30 minutes use. otherwise i probably would have gone with the 125e's (dont know where to get the "i" models or if it makes a big difference)

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #9 of 14
  Thank you for responding. Will definitely look into the headphones you mentioned. Just wondering, is there any reason you recommend tho 80 ohm over the 32? im guessing because ill be using an amp on it?

The general consensus is that 32 Ohm DTs are not on pair with 80 Ohm and 250 Ohm versions in terms of sound quality.
DT770 250 Ohm versions are just a tad more balanced, while 80 Ohm version has more bass. Both have powerful bass anyway, and both need some kind of extra amplification to shine.

Best Luck!

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 14

The general consensus is that 32 Ohm DTs are not on pair with 80 Ohm and 250 Ohm versions in terms of sound quality.
DT770 250 Ohm versions are just a tad more balanced, while 80 Ohm version has more bass. Both have powerful bass anyway, and both need some kind of extra amplification to shine.

Best Luck!

Thanks for the explenation. So it seems i'm having trouble finding a store that sells them in ontario canada. Other than amazon (who is selling them for $280) and another online store called avshop.ca that has them for $220 (which doesn't seem so bad) only problem is I would like to be able to test them out before i bought them. I was also taking a look at the Fiio E10k and noticed it was usb powered. would you be able to recommend something that's a bit more portable? I was thinking something that i could use on my ipod while i'm out and my laptop while at home.

Alex

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 14
  Thanks for the explenation. So it seems i'm having trouble finding a store that sells them in ontario canada. Other than amazon (who is selling them for $280) and another online store called avshop.ca that has them for $220 (which doesn't seem so bad) only problem is I would like to be able to test them out before i bought them. I was also taking a look at the Fiio E10k and noticed it was usb powered. would you be able to recommend something that's a bit more portable? I was thinking something that i could use on my ipod while i'm out and my laptop while at home.

Alex

Maybe you can try the 32 Ohm version, if you like them, I'm pretty sure you'll like the others even more.

Fiio E07K is a USB DAC/Amp like E10 but is also battery powered and has more features. Fiio E17 is a slightly more refined Fiio E07K, both are very good anyway. Both can work as portable amplifiers with your ipod.

If you don't want the DAC because you are going to use them mostly with your ipod, you can always save some money getting a Fiio E11K (Portable Amp)

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 14

Maybe you can try the 32 Ohm version, if you like them, I'm pretty sure you'll like the others even more.

Fiio E07K is a USB DAC/Amp like E10 but is also battery powered and has more features. Fiio E17 is a slightly more refined Fiio E07K, both are very good anyway. Both can work as portable amplifiers with your ipod.

If you don't want the DAC because you are going to use them mostly with your ipod, you can always save some money getting a Fiio E11K (Portable Amp)

I'm really having trouble finding the 770s in store at all. all i can find are 880 and 990 in 600 and 250 ohm.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 14
  I'm really having trouble finding the 770s in store at all. all i can find are 880 and 990 in 600 and 250 ohm.

If you aren't very picky, buying blind is not that risky, specially when choosing a headphone like DT770 80 Ohm.
What to expect?
Powerful bass + just a tad recessed midrange but still there and clear + lively treble.
The well known v-shaped frequency response that's easy on the ears and can bring some recordings back to life.

Are you able to try Yamaha Pro 400 or Pro 500? Those might sound nice too. Same applies for Beyerdynamic COPs. Indeed there's a lot of respectable headphones on the market that provide a sound that's good for the genres you've listed, even the cheaper Takstar Pro 80, all of them present some slight differences in terms of sound signature but this shouldn't be a problem to enjoy your music.

Some headphones to look at:

Takstar Pro 80 (cheap, well built, warm and detailed)
Takstar Pro 80 + HM5 Pads (more comfortable)
Shure Srh-840 (detacheable cable and extra pads, punchy mid bass and detailed treble)
SoundMagic HP100/150 (more on the neutral side with a slight boost at both ends of the spectrum)
Logitech UE6000 (cheap nowadays and really warm sounding with soft treble)
Sony MDR-1R and newer siblings (very smooth sound that's mostly mid-centric but still has a slight boost in the mid bass - good separation)
M-Audio Q40 (Bassheads like this one very much, I haven't tried them)
Yamaha Pro 400/500
Beyers... DT770s, COPs
AudioTechnica A900x

You really can't go wrong with any of these as far as you like what you read about them.
You can go crazy trying to find the perfect one for you, or you can simply pick one you would like to own and enjoy your favourite music for hours.

Best Luck!

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 14
Ok I went ahead and just bought the dt 770 80 ohm online and it should be in soon. was having trouble finding a lot of the stuff in stores for some reason. I still haven't decided on the amp yet. I may go with the e17. we'll see.

Anyway thanks for the help and bit of a push (i'm really not that picky and am told I need to go a bit more on impulse than i normally do haha). I really appreciate it. Hopefully ill be listening to these things in the next couple days.

Thanks a bunch!
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back