New headphones
May 22, 2024 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

classical listener

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've had some Audio technica ATH M70x headphones for a few years and have been happy with the sound. However soon after I bought them I found that wearing them for any extended period they started to feel tight on the jawbone. There was no way to adjust the tightness, and the dealer I bought them from suggested leaving them on something that stretched them a bit when I wasn't using them. I did this but it didn't really make much difference and eventually one of the ear supports cracked from being over stressed.

Anyway they've stopped working now, and I'd like to replace them with some new ones but different brand in the £200 - £350 bracket, that might have a reasonably similar sound without the discomfort (and possibly closed-back so as not to disturb others when I listen, but its not essential). I listen mainly to classical, streaming using a headphone amp (iFi) and laptop. I like to hear detail (e.g orchestral detail) but not a dry sound.

Maybe it's an unrealistic thing to ask a brand of headphone to sound similar to another (and it doesn't have to), but I know little about these things, and figured if anyone did it might be someone on this forum.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

May 22, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 7
I would suggest listening to some pairs at your nearest hifi shop, rather than buying blind.
if you want a similar sound I would say try other models from Audio-Technica, as most of their consumer models are tuned much the same.

May 22, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi,

I've had some Audio technica ATH M70x headphones for a few years and have been happy with the sound. However soon after I bought them I found that wearing them for any extended period they started to feel tight on the jawbone. There was no way to adjust the tightness, and the dealer I bought them from suggested leaving them on something that stretched them a bit when I wasn't using them. I did this but it didn't really make much difference and eventually one of the ear supports cracked from being over stressed.

Anyway they've stopped working now, and I'd like to replace them with some new ones but different brand in the £200 - £350 bracket, that might have a reasonably similar sound without the discomfort (and possibly closed-back so as not to disturb others when I listen, but its not essential). I listen mainly to classical, streaming using a headphone amp (iFi) and laptop. I like to hear detail (e.g orchestral detail) but not a dry sound.

Maybe it's an unrealistic thing to ask a brand of headphone to sound similar to another (and it doesn't have to), but I know little about these things, and figured if anyone did it might be someone on this forum.

In that price range, I'd go for Meze 99 Classics / Neo for closed back, or HiFiMAN Sundara for open.

May 22, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 7
I'd recommend to anyone the Thieaudio Ghost and an Apple 3.5mm to USB (U.S. version) or the Hifiman HE5xx, they're sure things for almost anyone. For closed back the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro X are good, but the AKG K371 don't need equalizing out of the box. The Beyerdynamic is more durable, but the K371 fold for travel. An Apple adapter will power any of them just fine (though the HE5xx will be close to max volume).

May 22, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 7
Hi,

Hmmm I dont think there is another closed back that sounds as flat as the runway like the m70x. While its openish back it doesnt leak that much sound the akg K702 might be suitable. Or if you can still find it the K553 closed backs.

For currently available closed backs, I donno if I can rec but moondorp joker and a 4.4 replacement cable(since the stock cable is garbage).

Any part of the m70x sound you would like to change?

Edit:
Has no one heard the m70x before? m70x to 99 classics is like day and night.
Also dont worry m70x doesnt have another eqv for Audio technica as far as I have head.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks very much all, those are some seriously interesting replies, which I will start investigating today. I must say the level of knowledge on here is impressive.

@pbui44 Those Drop + GrellOAE1 headphones look really intriguing/innovative, though one reviewer did say they were more for entertainment than analytics (with the qualification that that wasn't a criticism of the analytics) and detail particularly in orchestral sound, is very important to me. But they do look interesting and are something I might even consider treating myself to alongside some headphones I can get hold of now (I have no really satisfactory ones at the moment).

@dunring The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro X are some I've already considered as a possibility, but will take a look at those other suggestions too.

@llysender Re the M70x sound, am always happy with greater clarity of detail, but nothing in particular occurs to me about their sound I'd change.

Thanks again, those are really helpful responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back