New headphones!
Aug 1, 2007 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FLo15

New Head-Fier
Its my birthday in 6 days so I want a new pair of earphones!

I've had Koss The Plug for 6 months or something like that i bought them for 15€.

Now I was thinking about getting:

Shure E2C 50€
Sennheisser CX300 30€
maybe JBL 220 65€

I read alot about the Shure E2's and they seem to be pretty good and in my price range I don't want to spend more than 50-60€.

Which of the phones isolates sounds the most?

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLo15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its my birthday in 6 days so I want a new pair of earphones!

I've had Koss The Plug for 6 months or something like that i bought them for 15€.

Now I was thinking about getting:

Shure E2C 50€
Sennheisser CX300 30€
maybe JBL 220 65€

I read alot about the Shure E2's and they seem to be pretty good and in my price range I don't want to spend more than 50-60€.

Which of the phones isolates sounds the most?

I would look into the Crossroads Mylarone X3's. Do a search on this forum for them. IMO they are much better then the Shure E2C's.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 16
the e2c are much better at isolation, the cx300 is an earbud so much for isolation there and i thought the jbl 220 were speakers,if i remember. I think most will say the e2s here. You might wanna try the two earphones types out first and see if your comfie with em.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitpick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the e2c are much better at isolation, the cx300 is an earbud so much for isolation there and i thought the jbl 220 were speakers,if i remember. I think most will say the e2s here. You might wanna try the two earphones types out first and see if your comfie with em.

The cx300 isn't an earbud, it's just a canalphone with only a single flange in the canal.

The line between "in ear monitor" and "canalphone" seems to be 90% marketing and 10% transducer technology, but the line between "canalphone" and "earbud" is pretty distinct - does it go in your ear or on your ear?

But yeah, the isolation is a bit less.

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 16
Yeah, IEM is just a type of (more expensive) canalphone now a day. Although an IEM system was (at first) only refer to those custom molded, wireless, very expensive (and exclusive) monitoring system used in live performance. I guess IEM has became so popular these days most newbies just refer canalphone as IEM.

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 16
Of the three you list, I would pick the Sennheisser if you need isolation, otherwise the JBL. I've not heard the Shure. Both the Senn and JBL are comfortable. I think the JBL sounds a little better, but this is from memory as I sold both a while ago. The problem with the JBL is that it has an open back so is not suitable in noisy environments, which is the only time I want an IEM or canal phone. The problem with the Senn is the microphonics with the cable. It's the worst of any IEM or canal phone I've tried. Even the air movement over the cables while I walked was annoying.

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 16
No, the JBL Reference 220 are earphones?

Well im from germany and I haven't found a place to buy the x3's

Does anyone have a comparison between the jbl's and shure's!
The JBL would be 16€ more expensive at the place i would buy them, would it still be worth to get the JBL's or are the Shures better anyway

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 16
i work in what might be the loudest room in existance, theres a 18 foot by 24 foot air conditioning unit in the same room, and i wear my e2c's while i work, even at low volumes (4-6 on my zune) they block out the sound enough for me to hear my music almost perfectly. as for sound, i am satisfied, i could go for something more expensive that sounds much better, but i wouldnt take them into work.

i do recommend the e2c for its isolation and satisfactory sound, but as many people will say, there are buds, iems, and in ear phones that will sound better in the same pricerange.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

No, the JBL Reference 220 are earphones?

Well im from germany and I haven't found a place to buy the x3's

Does anyone have a comparison between the jbl's and shure's!
The JBL would be 16€ more expensive at the place i would buy them, would it still be worth to get the JBL's or are the Shures better anyway

JBLs are canal phones. They go into the outer part of your ear canal, not just sit in your ear. They seal to your ear canal but have an open back so they don't isolate.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 16
When wearing the shure e2c's and somebody talks to you, do you still understand him?
3000smile.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

When wearing the shure e2c's and somebody talks to you, do you still understand him?
3000smile.gif

With any isolating IEM or isolating canal phone, you can't talk to people with them in your ear. Or you can talk all you want but you can't listen to the other person
tongue.gif
Shure makes the PTH unit that has a microphone and a button. The button turns on the mic and turns the music off so you can hear someone speaking to you. It comes with the top of the line Shure IEMs, but is also sold separately.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 16
The PTH unit sounds useful and perfect for me, it's not in the acessories of the ec2s right?
I looked on the internet and it doesnt seem to be easy to find, and pretty expensive around 60$?

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 16
This would be perfect for me but I dont want to spend that much money.
Is there any headphone for about 50$ that are simillar to the JBL and dont have that much isolation?

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 16
Probably nothing that goes in your ear. Maybe you can get something like the Koss KSC75 or Sennheiser PX100 or an AKG portable. I'm not sure what the cost is in Europe for these. Here the Koss and Senn are below what you're looking to spend. I've read that the Koss is more in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back