New headphones (Ultrasone) or invest in a hefty amplifier?
May 26, 2014 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

18inch

Head-Fier
So I have the Ultrasone Proline 750 and its been almost 7-8years i have them, they are really great! but I feel like it is missing some grunt and tightness, could be more comfy too....

Thinking of getting the Ultrasone Signature DJ and eventually a simple ifi micro ican  amplifier.

or should I get a better amplifier and stick with the Proline 750?

Ive been reading and i understand that the Ultrasone are current hungry rather than voltage hungry...

Would say a Woo Audio WA7 have enough current to feed the ultrasone?

suggestions?

anyone jumped from the Ultrasone Pro to signature?

May 26, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 6
I am looking at exactly same option and moon-audio has Signature DJ on sale. Would be nice to have a bass boost with Micro Ican. My Edition8 sounds same with any good output and Signature DJ is probably similar.

May 26, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 6
I actually didn't hear that huge of a difference using a PRO750 between a Fiio X5 and my EHHA. In fact, any differences I heard probably chalk up more to the sound of the amp than anything.

May 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 6
I am looking at exactly same option and moon-audio has Signature DJ on sale. Would be nice to have a bass boost with Micro Ican. My Edition8 sounds same with any good output and Signature DJ is probably similar.

Ya was tempted with moon-audio's sale, wonder how long that will last!

I actually didn't hear that huge of a difference using a PRO750 between a Fiio X5 and my EHHA. In fact, any differences I heard probably chalk up more to the sound of the amp than anything.

So basically a decent headphone amp should suffice, no need to go crazy on that? for ultrasone that is..

new headphones > amplifier ?

May 26, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Yes. I feel any amp that costs more than about $150 (or even less) is overkill for them because they didn't seem to scale much. But I can only speak for the PRO750 because it's the only one I've heard in the past three months.

May 26, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 6
The biggest difference in sound is at the headphone level.  Amps and DACs do have very subtle differences, but they don't drastically change the sound of headphones.  If you're unhappy with the 750s, your money is best spend on getting some cans that give you the sonic details you desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back