New Headphones Recommendations
Oct 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

SimpleVD200792

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

First of all I'm new to this forum even though I read quite a lot in this forum before I'm joining.

To the main topic,
I need to find myself a pair of new headphones for my recording, so I need it to be as flat responding as possible, I do understand that there is no headphone that have a really flat responding, so I just want one with the flattest respond.

Right now I just have my sennheiser HD418 and I think it lacked on the bass side even though I'm not a bass head. I used to have denon AH-C560R which I loved but the sound is coloured and sadly it doesn't last long because of the build quality.

I'm gonna use this headphone for daily usage and recording sessions, I am a guitarist myself so I quiet understand about audio think.

My genre mostly gonna be rock from classic rock into heavy metal but I also listen to almost everything, so I need the headphone to be have a wide frequency response.

Currently my budget is around 150$ but I don't mind to spend more if it is worth it.

In my mind I'm currently thinking about:
- Audio Technica ATH M40X as they are claimed as the most flat responding headphone around 100$
- Audio Technica ATH M50X (I don't know if this one is really flat or not)
- Beyerdynamic DT770 (as for these one I don't know which version to get)
- Shure SRH440/840/940 (I haven't tried any of these yet, but I read a lot of good review alongside the ATH M50X)

I open to any suggestion :)

PS: I will not use any amp with any of these headphones

Thank you.

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 22
From what I heard in sonicsense.com the audio technica is sounds the same as the original sound, shure also really similar, but not with the sony especially the MDR7506 is just way to different.

Btw, is it possible to get a good soundstage from any of this headphone, but still my main concern is the flatness

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 22
  From what I heard in sonicsense.com the audio technica is sounds the same as the original sound, shure also really similar, but not with the sony especially the MDR7506 is just way to different.

Btw, is it possible to get a good soundstage from any of this headphone, but still my main concern is the flatness

Are you reading this or have you heard the cans?

Studio cans are not known for large sound stage.  The Sonys I mentioned are classic entry level studio cans.

The best of the bunch--sound, neutrality and sound stage, is the KRK, although some lower powered devices can not drive it very loud.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 22
The only cans I heard live is audio technica, which I'm satisfied with the sound quality but I never compare the sound with the real sound produce by speakers.

Well if possible, I need something more than entry level if I could that is why I will push my budget up to 250$ if it is really worth it.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 22
You may like the AT cans, but they are not neutral.

Going to $250 does little without an amp.  With an amp the SRH 940 is an excellent choice.

If buying new, the next step up is about $350 +/-, where you can find the Sony MDR 7520 and the Focal Spirit Pro.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 22
what about the srh840?

as for the krk kns 8400, I'm pretty interested when I saw a lot of review saying how neutral it is, but my concern about it is the bass side will be enough? Or is it being neutral means less bass?

to push it to 350$ is really far from my budget, lol, maybe some day I will get those pair of cans :) but right now I'm trying to get the pair only up to 250$

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 22
The 840 has a mid-bass hump and somewhat rolled off treble.  Again--not close enough to neutral.

I can understand where the 8400 can be criticized for being a touch bass light--just like the M50X is at least a bit bass heavy, mids light and too bright.  You are not going to find a better neutral can than the 8400 at or near its price.  If you had an amp, the 940 fills in at $250.  Without an amp, it's not for you.

If you are looking for near perfect (with or without an amp), you will need to spend about $350.

neutral = free from coloration (nothing EQed up or down).

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 22
well, I guess I will try to find the 8400 and try it before hand to see if I will satisfied, and is there any other alternatives that come after the 8400 as I think it will be pretty hard to find it here in Indonesia.

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #14 of 22
well, that is one hell of a price, lol, wish I have that much money :frowning2:

I think the only option I got is only between srh440 and kns 8400, btw is there anyone who compare it to the new ath-m40x? I would an opinion on them.

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #15 of 22
If you lurk around the deals thread you'll find the NAD for around $250 or less.  In fact on Amazon (used) there's an open box, never used HP50 for $250 shipped right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back