New headphones needed...need your help!
Sep 8, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #16 of 45
The microphonics only occur when you plug something into the jack (or remove it). If you're not going to be plugging or bumping it all the time you should be fine.

Why are you concerned with the MBP as a source. It's capable enough as is.

I've contacted a seller for a Magni. I'll see what happens with that, if not I'll be looking for a Vali if you don't think vibrations will create humming or "tinging" hehe

Not sure why I'm worried...it's not a recent model by any means, and just bought some 24/192 FLACs and being a 2006 mbp I'm unsure of it's audio capacities, although it always sounded pretty good through the DT770 Pro 80ohms with plenty of power. Nevermind just checked the specs and it's decent...I guess I'll start using Amarra Pro when I get the amp and headphones...

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #18 of 45
Are you using iTunes as the player?

No I'm using VLC for everything lossless, otherwise yes iTunes...I previously used the older Amarra version that worked with iTunes, and it was a pain in...
I'll be trying the newer version that is standalone from iTunes...should work a lot better

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #20 of 45
If I were you I'd give the Fidelia trial a go. It'll change what you think your laptop is capable of.

Trying it as we speak... I like it...I think I'll forego Amarra for now.

My main concern was a review of the AKG K612 Pro saying the onboard Apple DACs wouldn't be sufficient and would reveal the sibilance in the highs and mids. The review also mentions it's hard to drive and it prefers tube amps.
the 50$ Magni deal fell through anyways...

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #21 of 45

My main concern was a review of the AKG K612 Pro saying the onboard Apple DACs wouldn't be sufficient and would reveal the sibilance in the highs and mids. The review also mentions it's hard to drive and it prefers tube amps.
the 50$ Magni deal fell through anyways...

Glad to hear it. It's pretty awesome and underrated. 

The Apple DAC isn't TOTL by any stretch, but some better audio decoding courtesy of something like Fidelia certainly makes a difference. 

You might look up some offerings from Bravo or Little Bear for some cheaper tube ampery.

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #23 of 45

Well, I own the K612s and would disagree with both of those statements.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #24 of 45
I'm mostly stuck between the Hifiman Ef-2A and the Schitt Vali. I'm also still considering the Little Dot 1+ but can't find any that are "affordable/used"
the only reason for the hesitation. The Ef-2A DAC...if it would be better than my Intel HD onboard audio from the Macbook Pro. And the ringing from the Vali, which I guess could be solved by putting it on a shelf on top of my desk for a stable surface...
It's time for a final decision, I'm overwhelmed with all the possiblities hehe
My main way of thinking here is that some time in the future a DAC will probably be added...or at least a external USB soundcard...

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #26 of 45
  Of those, I'd recommend the LD1+. It should be cheaper than the $120 Vali and the $170 Hifiman. Amazon has the LD for $116 shipped if you're a prime member. (assuming youre CONUS?)

Nah it's part of the issue with prices...I'm in Canada.
That's why I'm looking at the Used amps... The Vali with shipping and all would probably be 200$+
The K612's are one of the few headphones that I'm interested in that ships to Canada from Amazon.com...for 210$ all in. Otherwise from Amazon.ca I'm looking at 300+$ for the 612's...such bull...
Amazon.com is one of the few stores (if it ships to Canada, which is rare) that calculates everything including importation fees so there are no surprises...
Hence if I spend 210$ I'm left with around 90$ to play with, which I'm probably going to go over a little bit.

P.S: Do you have any issues with clipping on Fidelia? It happens with my 24/192 files about midway through the song...the onboard soundcard does 24/96 maybe that's the issue?

Little dot 1+ with 6J1 tubes would be around 150$ all in?
I have a Schitt Vali for 95$ in sight?
Is the difference worth it?

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #27 of 45
Oh ok gotcha. Dang, those items are much cheaper here.

With Fidelia, you should be able to avoid clipping by setting the resampler in the preferences menu.

I don't think you'll miss much. The LD yields more versatility but if we're talking stock sound compared to stock sound, the Vali would serve you quite well.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #28 of 45
Also, noob tube question here...don't tubes go out at some point, needing to be changed or something of the sort? In that way, having swappable (or rollable?) tubes is a plus for durability...since the Vali's tubes are hardwired there?

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #29 of 45
  Also, noob tube question here...don't tubes go out at some point, needing to be changed or something of the sort? In that way, having swappable (or rollable?) tubes is a plus for durability...since the Vali's tubes are hardwired there?

Well the life of most tubes can usually be measured in years, so rarely is tube lifetime an issue. (the Vali owner's manual mentions 10,000 hours +) Tube rolling is appealing for most because different tubes change the sound. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #30 of 45
Get yourself a Little Dot I+ ($152) shipped if you order from the LD site via email and a pair of these Yugoslavian 6HM5 from eBay and don't look back...
Your ears will thank you. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back