New headphones needed...need your help!
Sep 7, 2014 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

JackTheRipper

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone!

I'm back to shopping for headphones...after a couple of years enjoying my Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 80ohms...one side finally gave out. R.I.P :frowning2:
I do have quite a budget for a new pair...I could probably go as far as 280$, shipped to Canada. I don't want to buy used cans as the beyers were and didn't last as long as I thought they would...
I did love them for the bass and overall sound but I found them slightly heavy at times. I like closed headphones as there is a lot of ambiant noise in my room, although semi closed would probably be enough. Over the ear is a must as well.

280$ shipped to Canada (might be willing to go a bit over)
Decent bass
Over the ears
closed/semi-closed
Light would be a plus
No Used Cans

Here's what I've been looking at...
AKG K550
Sennheiser Momentum?
Sennheiser Urbanite XL?
Shure SRH-840 + amp

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 45
I like the HP150s better than the DT770s myself, but they do not have as much bass as the DT770s. They are more in the neutral class of headphones with a little bit of bass and treble boost. I would describe the HP150s are more similar in class to the K550s than the DT770s.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 45
The perfect headphone would be warm but not too tiring and have tight bass as opposed to a lot of bass, clear mids and not too aggressive highs.
The 990's sound good although they are open. Keep in mind that I have a a/c unit in my room. So even if a closed back isn't paramount, some noise reduction is still a necessity...sadly we don't have stores in Mtl that let's you try on headphones...
Either a headphone around 280$ without a need for a headphone amp or a cheaper pair with an E17 Dac/Amp?
Thanks!

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 45
The perfect headphone would be warm but not too tiring and have tight bass as opposed to a lot of bass, clear mids and not too aggressive highs.

That does not sound like you are talking about the DT990s. The highs can be fatiguing, and the bass is fairly heavily emphasized. You might consider the DT880s instead--not warm, but more neutral than the v shaped response of the DT990.

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 45
That does not sound like you are talking about the DT990s. The highs can be fatiguing, and the bass is fairly heavily emphasized. You might consider the DT880s instead--not warm, but more neutral than the v shaped response of the DT990.

Yep. Or maybe the K612 Pro

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 45
  Hi Everyone!

I did love them for the bass and overall sound but I found them slightly heavy at times. I like closed headphones as there is a lot of ambiant noise in my room, although semi closed would probably be enough. Over the ear is a must as well.

280$ shipped to Canada (might be willing to go a bit over)
Decent bass
Over the ears
closed/semi-closed
Light would be a plus
No Used Cans

Here's what I've been looking at...
AKG K550
Sennheiser Momentum?
Sennheiser Urbanite XL?
Shure SRH-840 + amp

Why not consider the Sony MDR-1R (240 grams vs DT 770 270 grams), good bass, over-ear, and closed.  Note, also, that soon will be released a MDR-1A model (recently announced ) - list price is 299;  not sure what will happen to the price of the MDR-1R when the MDR-1A hits.

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 45
Yep. Or maybe the K612 Pro

I actually quite like the price of this one too, the sound signature looks quite nice by the reviews and it looks pretty comfy too.
I might have some margin for an amp...as far as amps goes I wouldn't mind going with a used one...but I know nothing about them...

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 45
  I actually quite like the price of this one too, the sound signature looks quite nice by the reviews and it looks pretty comfy too.
I might have some margin for an amp...as far as amps goes I wouldn't mind going with a used one...but I know nothing about them...

An inexpensive tube amp like the Schitt Vali or Little Dot 1+ would pair really nicely!

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 45
  An inexpensive tube amp like the Schitt Vali or Little Dot 1+ would pair really nicely!

Any other amps? Despite the low price of these they are rather hard to get in canada without ending up being a 200-250$ amp with shipping and charges...

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 45
  Any other amps? Despite the low price of these they are rather hard to get in canada without ending up being a 200-250$ amp with shipping and charges...

Bravo V2 or V3 perhaps.

A less expensive solid state with a neutral or warm sound would probably work just fine also. Tubes are just more fun :)

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 45
  Bravo V2 or V3 perhaps.

A less expensive solid state with a neutral or warm sound would probably work just fine also. Tubes are just more fun :)

What worries me about the Schiit Vali is the possible microphonics. My computer desk isn't the most stable one so a small move makes it sway...combined with the microphonics makes me a bit skeptical...
Otherwise the AKG K612 Pro with the Schiit Magni might be a good option...or the Vali if the microphonics wouldn't be an issue...

The only thing I'm worried about is I'll be running all this from my Macbook Pro...

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 45
The microphonics only occur when you plug something into the jack (or remove it). If you're not going to be plugging or bumping it all the time you should be fine.

Why are you concerned with the MBP as a source. It's capable enough as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back