New headphones needed...need your help!
Sep 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #31 of 45
  Get yourself a Little Dot I+ ($152) shipped if you order from the LD site via email and a pair of these Yugoslavian 6HM5 from eBay and don't look back...
Your ears will thank you. 
L3000.gif

I'm hoping my ears would, but my wallet wouldn't like it.
Although I'm thinking about it, and after looking at the Schiit audio website they mention the warranty only applies to the first owner...so for 60$ more I'd get a brand new amp and a warranty...

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #32 of 45
Also contact Razordog about K612s. I believe he ships to Canada, and someone on the K612 Head-Fi discussion thread mentioned in the last month or so that there was the possibility of a discount (you'll have to find it). And Razordog has an open box K612 on Ebay for $169. I got mine from him that way--flawless condition. Perhaps he would beat Amazon's price shipped to Canada.

As far as the tube in the Vali, it cannot be changed out. But you should not have to. The Vali is a hybrid solid state/tube amp (not a full OTL tube amp). Amps on the output stage like that have a much longer life from what I understand.

But personally, I would look for a Schiit Magni, too. You are just as likely to like a comparable quality solid state as a tube hybrid tube amp unless you know you like one or the better type already. Preference for solid state vs. hybrid tube/solid state is exactly that: personal preference. Some people like the distortion/coloring added to the signal; others prefer accuracy and transparency.

Then I would also point out one of the fun factors of tube amps is changing out the tubes to tweak the sound. The Vali doesn't allow that; the Little Dot I+ does.

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #33 of 45
Also contact Razordog about K612s. I believe he ships to Canada, and someone on the K612 Head-Fi discussion thread mentioned in the last month or so that there was the possibility of a discount (you'll have to find it). And Razordog has an open box K612 on Ebay for $169. I got mine from him that way--flawless condition. Perhaps he would beat Amazon's price shipped to Canada.

As far as the tube in the Vali, it cannot be changed out. But you should not have to. The Vali is a hybrid solid state/tube amp (not a full OTL tube amp). Amps on the output stage like that have a much longer life from what I understand.

But personally, I would look for a Schiit Magni, too. You are just as likely to like a comparable quality solid state as a tube hybrid tube amp unless you know you like one or the better type already. Preference for solid state vs. hybrid tube/solid state is exactly that: personal preference. Some people like the distortion/coloring added to the signal; others prefer accuracy and transparency.

Then I would also point out one of the fun factors of tube amps is changing out the tubes to tweak the sound. The Vali doesn't allow that; the Little Dot I+ does.

I've checked it out, Amazon actually has the same price and new, but I'll still try and contact him...
Would a hybrid tube amp maybe add more "fun" to the sound compared to a purely Solid State?
I know the K612's a rather neutral so I probably wouldn't mind an added warmth or coloring to them.

But really, what do I know, I'm the only guy in my circle that can lean towards audiophile, but I have no experience with a real amp aside a Xin Supermicro III I had years ago, and it was from my iPod with non-lossless files. I've never heard a tube amp either but I'm kinda dying to

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #34 of 45
Well, in my experience, these hybrid solid state/tube amps you are considering do not give quite the same full tube sound of an OTL tube amp (which is a lot more expensive). It's more like a little tube flavor. Having owned the Little Dot I+, and I currently also have the TubeMagic D1 in a setup in my house, I prefer solid state amps. Now if we were talking about a Bottlehead Crack, an OTL tube amp, that would be a different story :)

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #35 of 45
Well, in my experience, these hybrid solid state/tube amps you are considering do not give quite the same full tube sound of an OTL tube amp (which is a lot more expensive). It's more like a little tube flavor. Having owned the Little Dot I+, and I currently also have the TubeMagic D1 in a setup in my house, I prefer solid state amps. Now if we were talking about a Bottlehead Crack, an OTL tube amp, that would be a different story
smily_headphones1.gif

From what I see the Little Dot 1+ can swap OPA and tubes...would that make a difference. From what I understand the OPA would be the solid state part and tubes well...the tube part hehe.
Also as far as the OPA I ordered a OPA2107AP but for the tubes what would be "best"?

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #36 of 45
  From what I see the Little Dot 1+ can swap OPA and tubes...would that make a difference. From what I understand the OPA would be the solid state part and tubes well...the tube part hehe.
Also as far as the OPA I ordered a OPA2107AP but for the tubes what would be "best"?

The tubes I linked you earlier are one of the best plug and play tubes we have found in the LD Tube Rolling thread...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6HM5-6HA5-EC900-export-quality-audio-triode-tube-NOS-FREE-SHIPPING-/300879467071

But there are many, many options for the LD series of amps for tube rolling.

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #37 of 45
You can run either the Muses01 & 02 opamps as well but be sure to buy them from a reputable dealer (Mouser / Digikey) as there are many fakes of those.

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #38 of 45
  The tubes I linked you earlier are one of the best plug and play tubes we have found in the LD Tube Rolling thread...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6HM5-6HA5-EC900-export-quality-audio-triode-tube-NOS-FREE-SHIPPING-/300879467071

But there are many, many options for the LD series of amps for tube rolling.

Those would be "matched"? or do I need to get more than 2?

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #40 of 45
No the LD amps do not require matched tubes, that is just a way for the seller to get more money out of you. You only need two tubes but I usually order 3 or 4 just incase someone kicks the box around on the way here. He packs very well and test his tubes before shipping so you would get no DOA's.

Always good to have a spare on hand as none of us have ever dropped a tube looking at it out if the box. :D

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #41 of 45
I actually figured I'll go with the K612's and Schiit Vali...I figured if I went with the Little Dot 1+ I'd be spending a fortune on opamps and tubes. I'd rather do my time with the Schiit and when I feel an upgrade is due, pass it on to a fellow Head-Fier and upgrade. I think I'll end up saving some money in the long run. Plus the Schiit looks pretty good.

Thanks @JoeDoe @cel4145
@TrollDragon for all the help in making this existential decision!

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #42 of 45
Enjoy your new headphones and amplifier, they are going to be great!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back