New Headphones for Vinyl and other listening £150 ($230)
Apr 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tsar

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I posted in the advice thread but it seemed to get overlooked so I though I would try this

So I am after some new headphones sometime in the future as I still haven't replaced my last pair which bit the dust.

Now to the fun bit, my music tastes:
So my main music taste is anything from Queen to Creedence Clearwater Revival.

I listen to Vinyl, CD's and on Youtube.

My budget is around £100-£150 and UK buying would be great.

I have been recommended the Audio Technica ATH-900X's and the AKG K550's What do you think of these?

I do not currently have an amp and have no plans to buy one any time soon.

Thanks.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 8
Grado SR225i

These are my preferred cans when listening to vinyl (although I listen to vinyl mostly through speakers). They are great with rock music, do not need an amp, and are within your budget. Some people do not find them comfortable (at first they hurt my ears quite a bit, until I stretched the headband loose, and now they are comfy), and the bright highs aren't for everyone. Seems like people on here either love or hate them - I'm of the former opinion. Try and test them out first, or buy from somewhere with a good return policy in case they aren't for you.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Grado SR225i

These are my preferred cans when listening to vinyl (although I listen to vinyl mostly through speakers). They are great with rock music, do not need an amp, and are within your budget. Some people do not find them comfortable (at first they hurt my ears quite a bit, until I stretched the headband loose, and now they are comfy), and the bright highs aren't for everyone. Seems like people on here either love or hate them - I'm of the former opinion. Try and test them out first, or buy from somewhere with a good return policy in case they aren't for you.

Unfortunately, if the OP is UK based, SR225is are not even close to being in budget ... UK list price seems to be £295 these days :frowning2:

I'd recommend SR80is or Alessandro MS1is, both with bowl pads.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 8
I have the AKG K550s and I am very pleased with them. These are very easily driven headphones, so they will work just fine from the tiny amplifiers incorporated into mobile devices and computers and suchlike.

The K550s are a very good all-round performer. They are very clear and pretty transparent. The tend to have a slight smoothing effect on the treble, but this is very inoffensive and in fact rather pleasant.

I can't comment on other headphones that you or others have mentioned because I haven't ever used them. However I do know that with the K550s you get very good value for money.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi,

I am sill looking at the 900X's mainly beacuse of the good reviews.

The Grado Labs phones look amazing but I am slightly worried about the open nature of the headphones just because of the sound leakage.

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Hi,

I am sill looking at the 900X's mainly beacuse of the good reviews.

The Grado Labs phones look amazing but I am slightly worried about the open nature of the headphones just because of the sound leakage.

Can you get the 900xs in the UK for £150? If you're importing them from Japan / Hong Kong be aware you'll get hit for 20% import VAT and most likely a 'handling fee' of anything up to £12 (in my bitter experience!)

Grados are no good if you need isolation / plan to use them outside. You'll be able to hear most noises in your environment and anyone close to you will be able to hear your music.

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Can you get the 900xs in the UK for £150? If you're importing them from Japan / Hong Kong be aware you'll get hit for 20% import VAT and most likely a 'handling fee' of anything up to £12 (in my bitter experience!)

Grados are no good if you need isolation / plan to use them outside. You'll be able to hear most noises in your environment and anyone close to you will be able to hear your music.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technica-ATH-A900X-Monitor-Headphones-Electronics/dp/B005TCZIQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367260951&sr=8-1&keywords=A900X

£145+£10 shipped from Amazon.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Those are the ones I am looking at. Hoping not to get charged a handleing fee as they are a small item.

Thinking of paring them up with a Vallalha Amp sometime in the future to go with my records.

Still open to suggestions however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back