new headphones for university
Apr 17, 2009 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

robbye91

New Head-Fier
Im of to university to study product design in a few months and am sorting out what stuff i am going to be getting technology wise. I have decided on a macbook pro 15", a beresford DAC, audioengine A2's (will mainly be doing headphone listening due to student cupboard accomodation) and the new dell ultrasharp 22" monitor.
Am am looking at getting some new headphones to go with the new set up (currently own the sennheiser HD485's). i dont know what to go for. have always liked the sennheiser sound and use a pair of cx500's with my iPod, but with lots of raving reviews about the grado's i might give them a go, and as they have just upgraded their entire range they seem the ones to go for. so its really beetween the
grado sr60i, sr80i, sr125i
sennheiser hd555, hd595.
i dont really want to pay anymore than £150 so the sr125i's are out the range as in the UK they are £175 and cant justify spending that much on headphones. i will be listening mainly to rock jazz and pop (things like john mayer, incubus, rhcp, death cab and miles davis) but will also be used for the occasional film.

So which ones do you think will be best me?

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 23
don't wear full size (grados included) headphones in public. Just doesn't go over well.

I recommend some iems (depends on your budget which ones). Sound isolation is an amazing thing sometimes... especially when studying.

If you can afford them I find the Shure se530 sound great right out of an ipod and sound fantastic from a good amp and dac.

...also are you saying you're living in res (dorms)? You really need iems then
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 23
I'm also starting uni this year and bought a pair of Senn HD595's about 4 months ago and haven't been disappointed. Although I can't comment on the other 'phones, if you like the Senn sound then I think they'll be a solid performer especially coupled with the Beresford DAC.

Although some people say they don't perform as well on rock as others with the likes of Incubus and DCFC I think they'll be just fine =)

With the 595's you also get extreme comfort, good bonus with long listening sessions and films.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Although I'd get a seperate set for outdoor listening as the guy above says, some nice IEMs will do the trick, I have Ety er6i but they aren't for everyone.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 23
Hey, our musical preferences are similiar!

My suggestion is the Alessandro MS-1 or the MS-1i, IMO they are on par with the SR-225, and when modded they're just a monster. They're a bit more neutral compared to Grado's, but overall share the Grado house sound and might be better seeing how you've been a Sennheiser guy

EDIT: and yeah, Grado's leak sound like crazy, so much so I would feel uncomfortable listening to them outside (doesn't block out any sounds) and can't take them to the library. But I guess thats what earbuds are for, you're roommate may or may not mind though

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by robbye91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im of to university to study product design in a few months and am sorting out what stuff i am going to be getting technology wise. I have decided on a macbook pro 15", a beresford DAC, audioengine A2's (will mainly be doing headphone listening due to student cupboard accomodation) and the new dell ultrasharp 22" monitor.
Am am looking at getting some new headphones to go with the new set up (currently own the sennheiser HD485's). i dont know what to go for. have always liked the sennheiser sound and use a pair of cx500's with my iPod, but with lots of raving reviews about the grado's i might give them a go, and as they have just upgraded their entire range they seem the ones to go for. so its really beetween the
grado sr60i, sr80i, sr125i
sennheiser hd555, hd595.
i dont really want to pay anymore than £150 so the sr125i's are out the range as in the UK they are £175 and cant justify spending that much on headphones. i will be listening mainly to rock jazz and pop (things like john mayer, incubus, rhcp, death cab and miles davis) but will also be used for the occasional film.

So which ones do you think will be best me?

For University I suggest Closed and Portable.

My suggestion to look up reviews for. Sennheiser HD 25 I-II, Audio Technica ESW9 and JVC RX700 for the bargain price.

I know while I was at university, my headphones took a beating and I travelled everywhere with them. Former Denon AH-D550s. But if I was to go back, I would take a look at the Sennheiser HD 25 II-I personally.

What are you using for an Amp btw? Just curiosity as the Beresford is just a DAC, can't plug your headphones into them right?

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 23
I'll throw in my usual suggestion of buying a HD600 (look at the fs forum). These headphones scale wonderfully so sound good on nearly any set-up and just get better as you upgrade and get better synergy between the components.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #12 of 23
Alessandro MS1 is the gateway drug. Very good quality for so little money. That was my first good HP.

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagail118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alessandro MS1 is the gateway drug. Very good quality for so little money. That was my first good HP.

x2. MS-1 is probably the best entry level can money can buy you. I don't dig Koss.

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #14 of 23
Sony MDR-V6

closed for roommates and library, most durable can EVER, long coily cord, compact, comfortable, rockin' U-shaped frequency & pretty detailed.... all for about $70 on eBay.

That and a couple KSC75s (at least one with the headband) are all any college kid needs, at least until he graduates.

Apr 18, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 23
Whilst I really, really like sound of the MS1 (especially for the price), it seems to cause my tinitus to become more noticable. I'm not shure why, but if I use them for over an hour, the next few days my tinnitus will be relativly noticable, but when I use my HD600's I can go for months without noticing it. Just something to consider if you have tinnitus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back