New headphones for piano & PC
Mar 17, 2008 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

jnick

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi!

I currently have a pair of Senns EH-150's. I picked them up a while ago at circuit city and I was amazed by the quality for gaming. This was about 2 years ago. Recently, I started playing piano. I purchased a Yamaha digital grand piano which sounds beautiful. However, to my amazement, when I use my EH-150's, the sound is lacking horribly
frown.gif

My first reaction was to buy new headphones. However, I'm also thinking that it may be the headphone amp in the piano that is lacking as well, especially since to get ANY type of volume out of the headphones, the volume slider on the piano HAS to be maxed out.

However, I decided, even if it is the piano's amp, I'm going to get new headphones anyway. It's a shame to pair a $20 set of headphones with a $2,000 piano!

However, I also do a lot of gaming and listen to music on my PC. So I'm looking for the best of both worlds, per say.

So far, I'm looking into the following:

Senns HD-280, Senns HD-555, Grado SR-80

I've heard that the HD-280's are really nothing ot brag about, the HD-555's are awesome...with an amp, and the Grad-SR80's ear cups kind of fall apart over time.

Ultimately, I'm looking to spend around $100ish for new headphones. I'm not looking to buy a headphone amp (not to mention I know NOTHING about them) just yet, though I may consider one down the road. I might be able to push $150 if the quality of the cans deserve it.

I don't care if they're open or closed at this point. I just want something that sounds good and is comfortable to wear. Also, I do wear glasses, if that matters at all!

Any help/recommendations are appreciated. As I'm sure you can tell, I know next to nothing about headphones and I'm in need of guidance from the guru's, of which I was told to come visit the guru's here, at Head-Fi!

Thank you in advance!

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Head-Fi!

I currently have a pair of Senns EH-150's. I picked them up a while ago at circuit city and I was amazed by the quality for gaming. This was about 2 years ago. Recently, I started playing piano. I purchased a Yamaha digital grand piano which sounds beautiful. However, to my amazement, when I use my EH-150's, the sound is lacking horribly
frown.gif

My first reaction was to buy new headphones. However, I'm also thinking that it may be the headphone amp in the piano that is lacking as well, especially since to get ANY type of volume out of the headphones, the volume slider on the piano HAS to be maxed out.

However, I decided, even if it is the piano's amp, I'm going to get new headphones anyway. It's a shame to pair a $20 set of headphones with a $2,000 piano!

However, I also do a lot of gaming and listen to music on my PC. So I'm looking for the best of both worlds, per say.

So far, I'm looking into the following:

Senns HD-280, Senns HD-555, Grado SR-80

I've heard that the HD-280's are really nothing ot brag about, the HD-555's are awesome...with an amp, and the Grad-SR80's ear cups kind of fall apart over time.

Ultimately, I'm looking to spend around $100ish for new headphones. I'm not looking to buy a headphone amp (not to mention I know NOTHING about them) just yet, though I may consider one down the road. I might be able to push $150 if the quality of the cans deserve it.

I don't care if they're open or closed at this point. I just want something that sounds good and is comfortable to wear. Also, I do wear glasses, if that matters at all!

Any help/recommendations are appreciated. As I'm sure you can tell, I know next to nothing about headphones and I'm in need of guidance from the guru's, of which I was told to come visit the guru's here, at Head-Fi!

Thank you in advance!

The Alessandro MS-1 version of the Grado's will be more comfortable than the SR-80, and are $99 shipped to anywhere in the world. I think they would suit you well for what you need them for.

Alessandro High-End Products: Music Series Headphones

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 46
I also play the piano (digital Yamaha) and wear glasses and almost exclusively use my HD555's. I also have SR60's to compare them. With the Grados I feel like I'm listening to the piano through headphones since they sit on top of my ears and are very bright treble-wise. Since the Senn's are over-the-ear and more laidback, and so comfortable, I don't feel like I'm listening through headphones as much, just playing a normal piano.

I also have UM1's, and they sound amazing with the piano, but the cord is too short.

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 46
Thanks for the input Trip. Just curious here....what piano are you playing on, model wise? Are you using an amp with the headphones, or are you playing unamped?

Are you happy with the Senns? Or do the Grado's sound better when playing?

Mar 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 46
I couldn't hear a difference between the HD-595's and the HD-600's but a noticeable difference from SE310's. I've been kind of lazy and haven't bought the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter so I can't say if my 225's sound good hooked up to the piano.

I kind of want to try the output from my Casio PX-310 to something to see if it sounds better. Probably not but it might be fun try.

If I were you I'd go with the HD-555's primarily because of the comfort, as I could not tell the difference between the lower end and higher end cans.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 46
Hmm, so now it's a toss up between the HD-555's and Alessandro MS-1s...oh yeah, AND the DT-770s
eek.gif

Any last minute opinions before I pull the trigger? I hope to purchase before the weekend!

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 46
I'd recommend the HD555's for piano playing. I used to play my piano from them and they sounded pretty good, although I must add they did sound a little artificial to what came out of my piano speakers.

They aren't very good for gaming though (imo), but then again, you could always use your old HPs for that.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 46
I have the Yamaha CLP-170. I'm excited to hook it up to my mac and play around with garageband - have you guys done it yet?

Don't get me wrong, the SR-60's sound great too, I just prefer the HD555's for the piano. I'm running them unamped.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 46
I have the YDP-223.

Thanks for the suggestion guys...

HeadphoneAddict - While I value your suggestion, and as much as I've read great things about the MS-1, I'm kind of hesitant. First, mainly because they ARE Supra-aural. I'm kind of partial to Circum-aural, or at least something close to it. Second, from the pictures, they simply look very fragile. There looks to be no padding on the head band as well. IMO, the Senns HD-555 are much more appealing when it comes to comfort, based on visuals of course.

Unfortunately there is no where around here where I can try out these headphones. This is another reason why I'm asking so many questions/hoping for a few responses since I can only go by others experiences and hope that the one I buy is the right one. Otherwise I could be out the cash :/

Am I throwing out the MS-1's completely? No I'm not. However I would it hard to believe that something like the DT-770's are subpar compared to the MS-1's? From my research, everyone was recommending the DT-770s, however, that doesn't seem to be the case here? Is this because they need to be paired with an amp, or is it because they don't deliver in the areas where I need?

Thanks again, for your time.

[EDIT] Doing my research, again, I see that the DT770's are mainly for monster bass. While I WANT bass, I don't want to be overwhelmed with it. Therefore, I guess it's now the MS-1s or the HD-555...

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the YDP-223.

Thanks for the suggestion guys...

HeadphoneAddict - While I value your suggestion, and as much as I've read great things about the MS-1, I'm kind of hesitant. First, mainly because they ARE Supra-aural. I'm kind of partial to Circum-aural, or at least something close to it. Second, from the pictures, they simply look very fragile. There looks to be no padding on the head band as well. IMO, the Senns HD-555 are much more appealing when it comes to comfort, based on visuals of course.

Unfortunately there is no where around here where I can try out these headphones. This is another reason why I'm asking so many questions/hoping for a few responses since I can only go by others experiences and hope that the one I buy is the right one. Otherwise I could be out the cash :/

Am I throwing out the MS-1's completely? No I'm not. However I would it hard to believe that something like the DT-770's are subpar compared to the MS-1's? From my research, everyone was recommending the DT-770s, however, that doesn't seem to be the case here? Is this because they need to be paired with an amp, or is it because they don't deliver in the areas where I need?

Thanks again, for your time.

The reason why people recommended the DT-770's might be because they were primarily interested in the closed aspect of those cans. I don't know if your Yamaha is like mine where when I press a key and let it go, it springs back up and makes a thud noise which is kind of annoying when your playing any kind of piece. The headphones, being closed, would naturally block that sound out and you'd only hear the sound from your cans.

I haven't tried DT-770's on my piano before, but I'd imagine it would be the same thing as the other headphones, as even the bass-anemic 595's sounded exceptionally well with the lower notes including the A.

The only thing I might worry about the DT-770's would be that its muddy bass affect the lower notes when your playing triads or something so that you won't be able to discern between notes.

I'm probably overthinking it.

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 46
My family owns a massive grand piano in the living room. Problem is it's just WAY too loud... So we are considering selling it and getting one of the higher end Yamaha CLP series electronic piano's.

This thread will be very useful. Thanks!

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My family owns a massive grand piano in the living room. Problem is it's just WAY too loud... So we are considering selling it and getting one of the higher end Yamaha CLP series electronic piano's.

This thread will be very useful. Thanks!

Overkill?

I mean, if its digital you don't need the frame of a grand piano? Oh well, I'd still like to spend time with it because I'm curious as to how it would sound compared to my Schimmel SP 189.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back