New headphones $500
Apr 7, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #31 of 43
"99 Classics Compared
Oppo PM3 - The PM3 bass response is better extended, tighter, and punchier, but the level, while mildly emphasized, is a tad low and seems quite a bit less prominent and fun relative to the 99 Classics. Lack of treble extension and bass emphasis make it much less fun listening relative to the exuberant sound of the 99 Classics—in a word, boring in direct comparison. PM3 build quality is a bit more robust, fold flat features allow for more compact storage and transport; if I were purchasing a headphone primarily for mobile use, the PM3 ergos might sway me over the 99 Classics...might.

NAD VISO HP50 - My goodness, I've recommended this headphone a lot! But that's going to change. Relative to the 99 Classics, the HP50s sound somewhat uneven; a little bloated and papery; not as lively and fun in the treble. Imaging is more closed in, and dynamic punch just isn't quite there. A good listen, but just not nearly as fun compared to the 99 Classics. I'm afraid the HP50 will be knocked of the "Wall of Fame".

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 - This headphone leans a little too far to the bright side for me, but has excellent transient response—something missing from a lot of cans in this category. It made the "Wall of Fame" for lovers of detail. But the 99 Classic delivers plenty of treble detail and overall response is more neutral than the slightly cool MSR7. Yup, another can knocked off the wall by the 99 Classic.

Sennheiser Momentum 2 - Not quite as even in the upper-mids and low treble where the Momentum 2 sounds as if vocalists are a bit distant or holding a book in front of their mouth. Bass is similar to the 99 Classic being slightly warm and loose sounding. A good headphones, but no, things just don't come together with the Momentum 2 like they do with the 99 Classics.

Summary
The Meze C99 Classics are simply a great headphone!

That's almost the entire mid segment lot. And u save a good 200$ ( 299 vs 499).

Yeah, its sounds pretty dope. Do you know if you can change the pads? Only thing is that I would have to import it. That's means if I don't like it, I would have to sell with loss. But maybe I will order some of these and the Shure 1540 and then return/ sell the one I don't want.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #33 of 43
The Meze 99 classic looks amazing, som I am ordering a pair. I may be trying a pair 1540s to.

I should still be getting an DAC right?

I have heard wonderful things about the Meze 99's.  If I did not already have the 1540's I would certainly be tempted.  Your original budget was about 500 USD right?  Well if you get the Meze which I believe are 309 USD? That gives you some flexibility.  If you plan on mostly listening at a desk than get a desktop set-up.  Fiio and Schiit offer some great options.  The K5+e17k and mangi+modi stack respectively.  If you want more flexibility the Fiio option is superior as the e17k can be used as a mobile dac/amp.  You could even get one of their music players (X3 or X5) and pair it with the K5.  This would give you the added function of a portable music player.  Although if you have a bigger budget the amount of options get big fast!

Just some thoughts :p   

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #34 of 43
I have heard wonderful things about the Meze 99's.  If I did not already have the 1540's I would certainly be tempted.  Your original budget was about 500 USD right?  Well if you get the Meze which I believe are 309 USD? That gives you some flexibility.  If you plan on mostly listening at a desk than get a desktop set-up.  Fiio and Schiit offer some great options.  The K5+e17k and mangi+modi stack respectively.  If you want more flexibility the Fiio option is superior as the e17k can be used as a mobile dac/amp.  You could even get one of their music players (X3 or X5) and pair it with the K5.  This would give you the added function of a portable music player.  Although if you have a bigger budget the amount of options get big fast!

Just some thoughts :p   

I can get an used e18 pretty cheap. What's the difference on e18 and e17k?
I am using Android devices, so the e18 would maybe be an better option?

Edit: the k5 is an amp right? And the e17k and e18 is a amp/ DAC combo? So I would use the e17k or e18 as an DAC and the k5 as an amp?

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #36 of 43
I can get an used e18 pretty cheap. What's the difference on e18 and e17k?
I am using Android devices, so the e18 would maybe be an better option?

Edit: the k5 is an amp right? And the e17k and e18 is a amp/ DAC combo? So I would use the e17k or e18 as an DAC and the k5 as an amp?

The k5 is an amp only, whereas the e7k and e18 are a Dac/amp combo.  The e17k is newer than the e18 and offers some different features.  The e18 does work with android which is a nice perk.  The e18k does not dock into the k5 however, which is a benefit to the e17k.  It really depends if you will mostly listen on the go, or at home.  That is why I suggested getting a fiio music play and the k5, which gives you:

1) Desktop set-up
2) DAC and an Amp
3) Portable music player for high res files

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #37 of 43
  The k5 is an amp only, whereas the e7k and e18 are a Dac/amp combo.  The e17k is newer than the e18 and offers some different features.  The e18 does work with android which is a nice perk.  The e18k does not dock into the k5 however, which is a benefit to the e17k.  It really depends if you will mostly listen on the go, or at home.  That is why I suggested getting a fiio music play and the k5, which gives you:

1) Desktop set-up
2) DAC and an Amp
3) Portable music player for high res files

I can import the k5 and e17k for $370 usd to Norway. Is it worth it? 
To compare: i can get:
Audioengine D1 for under $200 (from a local store).
The Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2 uber can i also get for $370 (imported).

The price to import is a little stiff. Maybe i should start with the e17K? 

Edit: I ordered the Meze 99 classic.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #38 of 43
You do not need a super powerful amp for the Meze so I would go for a cheaper option.  Especially due to importing costs.  I would say e17k or audio engine would be solid starting options.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #40 of 43
SoundMagic HP100's = closed headphones = $150

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #41 of 43
Update: ordered the Meze 99 classic walnut silver, and they wont be shipping in a few weeks. 

I am still looking for amp/dac. What do you think?; Fiio E17K + Fiio K5 or Aune X1S? A
A pro with the Fiio combo is that i would have an portable dac/amp as well as an desktop setup. 

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #42 of 43
  Update: ordered the Meze 99 classic walnut silver, and they wont be shipping in a few weeks. 

I am still looking for amp/dac. What do you think?; Fiio E17K + Fiio K5 or Aune X1S? A
A pro with the Fiio combo is that i would have an portable dac/amp as well as an desktop setup. 

Did you try them on before you ordered them? I was just curious how they fit you (?). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back