New headphones $500
Apr 3, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #17 of 43
I am considering Fostex T50RP MK3, but i have heard that they need an pretty strong amp. Do you think i could keep it under $500 with an amp?

Do you think Fostex TH-X00 would be better?

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #18 of 43
where are you located? If you are in the states or the UK, you may have a chance to try alot of the headphones you are asking about. It is good to build up a database of what you want to try, but in the end, the choice is always yours as to what you like and want.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #19 of 43
  where are you located? If you are in the states or the UK, you may have a chance to try alot of the headphones you are asking about. It is good to build up a database of what you want to try, but in the end, the choice is always yours as to what you like and want.

I live in Norway, so mostly of the phones i have to order...

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 43
You should strongly consider the SRH 1540.  They are excellent all rounder's so they are good for many types of genres.  They also come with an extra set of pads and cable which is nice and a heavy duty storage case.  They also sound good out of nearly any source, but do benefit form a quality DAC/Amp, but most things do! 

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 43
Sony Z7. Luxurious built, incredible sound.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #22 of 43
You should strongly consider the SRH 1540.  They are excellent all rounder's so they are good for many types of genres.  They also come with an extra set of pads and cable which is nice and a heavy duty storage case.  They also sound good out of nearly any source, but do benefit form a quality DAC/Amp, but most things do! 

I am absolutely thinking about them. Think I am gonna order 2 different phones and test them out. Do you have them? Heard some say that they can be boring... But they have gotten top scores on mostly of the reviews so...

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #23 of 43
I am absolutely thinking about them. Think I am gonna order 2 different phones and test them out. Do you have them? Heard some say that they can be boring... But they have gotten top scores on mostly of the reviews so...

I do have them, I am actually listening to them right now!  I would not call them boring at all.  They have a small emphasize in the bass and a little treble peak.  Essentially it is a modest U shape.  For amping I use the Grace Audio m9XX which would be well out of your budget (about 1,000 USD total) but they work extremely well together.  Before I got the m9xx I used the fiio e17 and e09k which also did a wonderful job.  You really do not need a serious amp though for these to sound good, it just improves something that is already great.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #24 of 43
  I live in Norway, so mostly of the phones i have to order...

Well in that case you are in the same boat as I am in, but it would be good to have an idea of the type of sound signature you like. For instance, are you a bass head, a treble head, a detail freak, a smooth machine, or somewhere in between? I have noticed that my preferred signature is mostly neutral but with a touch of warmth and a smooth non fatiguing treble, and a slightly emphasized bass, hence my like for headphones such as the PM3 and to an extent the 7520. Even though I think other signatures sound good, I know what wows me per say, so phones like the Shure SRh440 which sound good to me, I wont buy them as they are a touch bass light and the treble is too pronounced for my taste and would get fatiguing after a while. I would assume from the reviews and musings I have read, phones like the B&O H6 and the Audio Technica MSR7 will not suit me either.

So establish in your head the sig you like and then look for phones that would meet your sound criteria, other than just it being closed and the price.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #25 of 43
  I am considering Fostex T50RP MK3, but i have heard that they need an pretty strong amp. Do you think i could keep it under $500 with an amp?

Do you think Fostex TH-X00 would be better?

The Fostex thx00 is semi-closed so they leak sound.  Not as much as an open headphone, but more than a closed.  

The multitude of T50RP variants and their mods will be serviced just fine from something cheaper like a Modi/Magni 2 stack which can be had for $200 in the states, not sure about in Norway.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #27 of 43
I am gonna try out SRH 1540. Any amp/DAC recommendations? Max 300 usd

For a long time I used the fiio e09k and the e17.  You really don't need the eo9k but it doies offer a bit more headroom.  I would say you should get the fiio k5 (new eo9k) and e17k.  Supposed to be a wonderful budget dac/amp combo.  I have also heard good things about the mangi and modi stack from Schiit audio. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #28 of 43
I suggest you have a look at at the meze 99 classics. Relatively new , but knocked off the Philips , NAD and the shure from the wall of fame at inner fidelty.
PS. They look fabulous(impression of a rich business magnet from Monaco) , excellent accessories and box.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #29 of 43
I suggest you have a look at at the meze 99 classics. Relatively new , but knocked off the Philips , NAD and the shure from the wall of fame at inner fidelty.
PS. They look fabulous(impression of a rich business magnet from Monaco) , excellent accessories and box.

It did not knock of the Shure, but still interesting.

"The Meze 99 Classic will be hitting the "Wall of Fame" with such a wallop that it will knock both the NAD VISO HP50 and Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 off and into retirement."

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #30 of 43
"99 Classics Compared
Oppo PM3 - The PM3 bass response is better extended, tighter, and punchier, but the level, while mildly emphasized, is a tad low and seems quite a bit less prominent and fun relative to the 99 Classics. Lack of treble extension and bass emphasis make it much less fun listening relative to the exuberant sound of the 99 Classics—in a word, boring in direct comparison. PM3 build quality is a bit more robust, fold flat features allow for more compact storage and transport; if I were purchasing a headphone primarily for mobile use, the PM3 ergos might sway me over the 99 Classics...might.

NAD VISO HP50 - My goodness, I've recommended this headphone a lot! But that's going to change. Relative to the 99 Classics, the HP50s sound somewhat uneven; a little bloated and papery; not as lively and fun in the treble. Imaging is more closed in, and dynamic punch just isn't quite there. A good listen, but just not nearly as fun compared to the 99 Classics. I'm afraid the HP50 will be knocked of the "Wall of Fame".

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 - This headphone leans a little too far to the bright side for me, but has excellent transient response—something missing from a lot of cans in this category. It made the "Wall of Fame" for lovers of detail. But the 99 Classic delivers plenty of treble detail and overall response is more neutral than the slightly cool MSR7. Yup, another can knocked off the wall by the 99 Classic.

Sennheiser Momentum 2 - Not quite as even in the upper-mids and low treble where the Momentum 2 sounds as if vocalists are a bit distant or holding a book in front of their mouth. Bass is similar to the 99 Classic being slightly warm and loose sounding. A good headphones, but no, things just don't come together with the Momentum 2 like they do with the 99 Classics.

Summary
The Meze C99 Classics are simply a great headphone!

That's almost the entire mid segment lot. And u save a good 200$ ( 299 vs 499).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back