New headphones, $150-200, music only, sound isolating, clear sound, no amp
May 21, 2010 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Zeph

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm currently using Shure SE530, but would like to have a pair of cans for different listening experiences.

The source will be mostly a Cowon D2 with 37+37W output. I rarely listen with high volume, when using my SE530's I usually got the Cowon on below 10. All the music is ripped from CD to Mp3 VBR V2. I also got them in FLAC for use at home.

I listen mostly to rock and metal, but also some more quiet music with accoustic parts. To name bands, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, The Mars Volta. Songs from Radioheads No Suprises to The Mars Voltas Roulette Dares

I'm not a huge bass enthusiast, but I would like the sound to be clear and dynamic, so I hear all the parts of a song properly. I've often come across sets where parts of the sound is barely audible, most often the bass guitar. A booming bass is not what I want, but precise and clear audio which covers all parts of a song.

They must be comfortable and isolate sound well, preferably not too hot to wear. Will be used around others and in areas with lots of external noise, like airplanes, trains etc. Looks are not prioritized over sound quality and comfort, but I'd prefer a pair that looked good.
Don't have an amp.

Thanks

May 21, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
Bass light/neutral, $200 and closed is going to be a toughie. 

What would have to be changed to meet my needs in terms of audio preferences? They need to be closed, I can't derail from that. The price can be changed within some limits. There are limitations to a closed set without amp as I've understood, I might have to give up on some of the audio preferences to meet the other demands.

I'm going to a store and try out DT 770 to see how bass heavy they are.

May 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 17
K271 would have been a great choice IF it did okay without an amp like the OP wants... they're actually one of my only cans which I personally feel it MUST be amped.  I simply don't enjoy the thing at all if it is only out of a PMP (sure, volume is plenty but... I find it very mediocre otherwise).

GMP/DBI/MB Quartz headphones could be the solution here maybe.  In any case I have a feeling Monitoring headphones would be the best choice for the sound OP wants.  The problem is that the comfort of those are usually not the best...

May 21, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 17
K271 is a possibility, but it's been years since I've heard those unamped. I'm not sure the $200 price point is the best place to jump into closed cans, not sure if any closed can at that price point will decisively defeat the SE530's or really give you an interesting new experience... I'd hold my breathe for those Beyers, and of course I'm a huuuuuge Audio Technica fan but I haven't heard the M50, ESW9 or ES10. 

May 21, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 17
What about the Audio Technica A700 or A900?  I haven't heard them myself, but FWIR they meet all your criteria.  The only downfall I could see is that they are pretty big, and would probably need their own carrying bag to transport.

May 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 17
To my knowledge the A700/900 aren't really ideal for music. Don't get the DT770 if portability is a need. ES series doesn't isolate that well. Look into the Beyerdynamic DT250, it satisfies just about all your criteria :)

May 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 17
I will be using them while travelling, so some level of portability would be nice. The smaller the better really.

What would I have to put out for an amp that can run the K271? I realize that getting something that can be more fun than the SE530s, and having the ability to fulfill my preferences, I might have to consider getting an amp. 

What is the difference between the K271 and K272HD?

I'm not looking for something over-analytical, it needs a fun factor too. The SE530 are a bit tame on that area, but I love them for the accoustic highs.
I tried a friends Bose QuickComfort, which boosted my want for a set of phones. First song I put on I suddenly heard a cool bass line at the beginning which I had not noticed before. So I want something more fun, which inevitably brings more bass into it. I'm not against bass, by all means, but I don't want the lower frequencies to dominate everything.

May 21, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
I will be using them while travelling, so some level of portability would be nice. The smaller the better really.

What would I have to put out for an amp that can run the K271? I realize that getting something that can be more fun than the SE530s, and having the ability to fulfill my preferences, I might have to consider getting an amp. 

What is the difference between the K271 and K272HD?

I'm not looking for something over-analytical, it needs a fun factor too. The SE530 are a bit tame on that area, but I love them for the accoustic highs.
I tried a friends Bose QuickComfort, which boosted my want for a set of phones. First song I put on I suddenly heard a cool bass line at the beginning which I had not noticed before. So I want something more fun, which inevitably brings more bass into it. I'm not against bass, by all means, but I don't want the lower frequencies to dominate everything.

Yeah, I would get a portable amp/dac to go with the K271.  Even something like a Nuforce uDAC would do.  Small, decent sound, and a good match with K271 sound signature wise, balancing out its weaknesses well.

As for K271/272HD comparison, K271 is meant as a studio headphone while K272 is supposed to be its home listening counterpart.  K271 MKII comes with both pleather and velour pads, a replaceable cable, and a switch which disables sound if you take them off your head (good for studio/monitoring purposes).  K271 comes with a non-replaceable cable and only velour pads.  I believe everything else is exactly the same between them, including the drivers and frame.

May 22, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 17
I've looked at the uDac before, it's really small! Not too expensive either, I might give that one a go.

It will be the K 272 HD if I get one, can't find the 271 MKII in Norway. Don't have need for the replaceable cable and sound switch anyways, the 272 comes with velvet pads.

Nuforce uDac + AKG K 272 HD, should be a good match I hope. Any thoughts on how it sounds compared to my SE530s? I'm looking for a new experience, more fun sound and more bass, without being excessive.

Been reading up on the uDac, seems its more a DAC than amp, should I look into more of an amp? I don't want to buy something that doesn't help much.

May 22, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 17
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned the SRH-840 or M50 yet.
Both easy to power w/out an amp.SRH-840 being the more analytical / neutral of the two. The M50 being a bit more 'fun' with a slightly accentuated lower end.

shane

May 22, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 17
Lol true, 10 posts without an M50 recommendation, must be a record :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back