New headphone upgrade
Dec 1, 2023 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ofty1995

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I’ve been enjoying the Audioquest Nightowl Carbon with the AQ Dragonfly Cobalt the past couple of years. Unfortunately the headband has been getting worse and will soon break down. Since it is discontinued there are no more headbands available and this gives me the excuse to look for an upgrade.

I am looking for a closed back headphone with a €1500 budget or a new dac/amp with a headphone if the DF Cobalt does not cut it.

So far I have been considering the Focal Radiance (€925 B-stock), Audeze LCD-XC (€1425) and the DCA aeon 2 noire (€999).

I’ve seen that the Focal headbands can break and are not easy to repair. This kind of scares me but from what I’ve read the sound signature would be what I like. Does the Radiance also have a headband that easily breaks?

The audezes are really heavy and I am not sure if the weight will bother me with long listening sessions, would love to hear opinions about that too.

The Aeon 2 noire’s wont run of my AQ DF cobalt i believe so if I went with those I would also purchase the Fiio k7 dac/amp

I will use my headphones to listen to music but also for movies and series. I use Windows and tidal. I like a bit of oomph in the lower ends. Most of the days I will be listening to the headphones for at least 6 hours a day. I would love to hear suggestions since this is the first time I plan to spend a lot on headphones. If there are any questions please let me know!

Thanks

Dec 1, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 20
The Denon D9200 plus a headband pad, since comfort can be hit or miss depending on the person. If you want a more slamming low end, the D7200, which should also be cheaper. Either should be fine running off the Cobalt.

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 20
Okay will look into that. No issues with breaking headbands?

Not for me but I didn't travel with them--they are plastic though, so I wouldn't be too rough with them.

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 20
If you are considering the LCD XC, I wouldn't ignore the cheaper LCD 2 closed.
I think both used glued on pads as opposed to the DCA, which might be a negative for some.

The DCA is noticeably lighter for sure.

All of these will do lowend driven out of modest amps..if you just want one pair go with something with a good warranty, possible aftermarket mods, and spares available.

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 20
If you are considering the LCD XC, I wouldn't ignore the cheaper LCD 2 closed.
I think both used glued on pads as opposed to the DCA, which might be a negative for some.

The DCA is noticeably lighter for sure.

All of these will do lowend driven out of modest amps..if you just want one pair go with something with a good warranty, possible aftermarket mods, and spares available.
Yes I’m really considering the DCA noire with the Fiio k7. Thanks

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 20
Not the 3.5 output on the amp, that is single ended.
You can use a more traditional non xlr cable with an adapter like the the one I mentioned to go into the 4.4 balanced output though.
So non balanced 3.5/ 6.3 cable to 4.4 adapter into the amp.
Having said that, there is something reassuringly solid and tactile about XLR connections...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back