New headphone setup
Oct 15, 2020 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bpcans

Headphoneus Supremus
I’ve recently been upgrading my headphone listening station with a new Chord Qutest DAC, some AQ Earth RCA connectors, and an AQ Diamond USB chord coming from my MacBook Pro. I’m using my beloved Grado RS1i headphones, and wondering if upgrading to some Grado GS3000e cans would enhance my listening experience. Any input about the GS3000e’s would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 385EDFBA-975C-4284-A3A0-41F15CA5CDE7.jpeg
    385EDFBA-975C-4284-A3A0-41F15CA5CDE7.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • E077D6B2-E862-4899-B80F-426764C2BC9B.jpeg
    E077D6B2-E862-4899-B80F-426764C2BC9B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Oct 15, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 8
I would guess your WA3 would be happier with high impedance cans rather than the Grados so one upgrade might be a tube hybrid or solid state amp.

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 8
^Agreed.
Adding an HD600 to the set-up would be my first choice in ‘enhancing the listening experience’:)
If he’s fond of Grados though I’d probably recommend a high impedance Beyerdynamic or maybe the 120 ohm K612.
The Woo amp was specifically designed for high impedance headphones. Also why it got taken off the market I believe. Woo thought the market was going in an opposite direction ie low output impedance/high powered headphone amps...and lower z phones in general.

Edith: A tube hybrid/solid state amp is of course also an option...I just think he should get to hear his Woo amp with a headphone perfectly taylored for it before he starts throwing money at other amps...and something like a 600 ohm DT880 is bound to be a whole lot cheaper than a new amp:wink:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 8
I would guess your WA3 would be happier with high impedance cans rather than the Grados so one upgrade might be a tube hybrid or solid state amp.
I really love my Woo WA6, the tubes that I have, and the way that they sound with my well broken in RS1i's. Getting a Chord Qutest DAC and top of the line Audioquest Earth RCA interconnects and an AQ Diamond USB really brought the sound forward a great deal. I like the WA6 because it's not heavy and I can put it in a grocery box and take it up to my condo in northern Wisconsin on Madeline Island for a few days and not worry about it. I could've gone the Chord Hugo2 route, but I didn't like its delicate housing and the fact that it had battery powered circuitry plus.

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 8
^Agreed.
Adding an HD600 to the set-up would be my first choice in ‘enhancing the listening experience’:)
If he’s fond of Grados though I’d probably recommend a high impedance Beyerdynamic or maybe the 120 ohm K612.
The Woo amp was specifically designed for high impedance headphones. Also why it got taken off the market I believe. Woo thought the market was going in an opposite direction ie low output impedance/high powered headphone amps...and lower z phones in general.

Edith: A tube hybrid/solid state amp is of course also an option...I just think he should get to hear his Woo amp with a headphone perfectly taylored for it before he starts throwing money at other amps...and something like a 600 ohm DT880 is bound to be a whole lot cheaper than a new amp:wink:
Thank you sir for your input. I'd like to keep the music source to headphones as simple as possible if I could. That's why I thought upgrading from my dozen year old Grado RS1i's to their GS3000e's might be a start. If I just wanted to go straight to the deep end then I'd get a Chord Hugo M Scaler to compliment my Chord Qutest DAC and call it a day if you know what mean.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 8
I really love my Woo WA6, the tubes that I have, and the way that they sound with my well broken in RS1i's. Getting a Chord Qutest DAC and top of the line Audioquest Earth RCA interconnects and an AQ Diamond USB really brought the sound forward a great deal. I like the WA6 because it's not heavy and I can put it in a grocery box and take it up to my condo in northern Wisconsin on Madeline Island for a few days and not worry about it. I could've gone the Chord Hugo2 route, but I didn't like its delicate housing and the fact that it had battery powered circuitry plus.

Huh, my bad and thanks for pointing it out. The WA6 does look like a honkin' partner for your Grados. So I would say if you like the Grado house sound then look and ask in the Grado thread for advice on an upgrade path.

I liike Chord gear (well, the ones I can't afford) but yeah I also don't like battery operated stuff. I can't recommend buying a dedicated upscaler until the rest of your system is hugely resolving from end to end.

As far as cables go I just buy interconnects from pro audio stores since they're cheap and expected to take abuse on the road. I don't believe in expensive cables generally.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Thank you sir for your input. I'd like to keep the music source to headphones as simple as possible if I could. That's why I thought upgrading from my dozen year old Grado RS1i's to their GS3000e's might be a start. If I just wanted to go straight to the deep end then I'd get a Chord Hugo M Scaler to compliment my Chord Qutest DAC and call it a day if you know what mean.

The GS3000e and the PS2000e are supposed to be the best Grados. I have not hear it, but I lust after it.

If you want more information about that model you should ask in the Grado Fan Club thread.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 8
The GS3000e and the PS2000e are supposed to be the best Grados. I have not hear it, but I lust after it.

If you want more information about that model you should ask in the Grado Fan Club thread.
Thank you elvergun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back