New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Mar 29, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #1,006 of 2,450
Quote:

Very nice looking combo..  I know the LCD-3 just kick ass with the BHA-1.

Thanks, they most certainly do. I've said time and time again and will continue to do so, the LCD3 and HD800 are both excellent to me with this setup. 

Quote:
Heh Nick,
I'm very interested in your comparisons of the BDA-1 vs BDA-2
That's a DAC on my wish list right now
Cheers

Sorry for the late response. Before I say anything, some headline notes for readers to take into account before reading my feedback.
1.I didn't compare the two DAC's side by side so my impressions are separated by a week or two
2.The source both times was a laptop running USB to the DACs. The BDA-2 is supposed to have a better USB implementation (Async 24/192). I never tried any of the other inputs. USB cable used was stock quality both times, nothing fancy
3.Both DACs were only demo'd with the BHA-1 via cheapish Audio GD XLR interconnects and LCD3s on Audeze stock 4pin XLR cable. Power cables were all stock
4.If you believe in burn in, all the gear is less than 50 hours old so do take that into account
5.I am not an educated/highly experienced audiophile and am barely passing on my subjective, relatively uneducated opinion on what I believe I heard

Given the above, please take my opinions with a grain of salt.

What I'm reasonably confident I heard
Bass/lower frequencies seem better defined and controlled
Mids seem a little pushed further back as the overall soundstage is improved from both a width and depth perspective
Separation of instruments is improved

What I'm not entirely sure of
The highs extend further with better definition
A darker background (have seen some graphs somewhere out there showing that the BDA-2 measures very well in terms of having a silent background)

In summary
Given all the parameters surrounding my opinion, I believe the BDA-2 is an improvement on the BDA-1. I wouldn't say that the difference is night and day but at the same time, please remember that the BDA-2 is "only" $200 or so more than the BDA-1; IMO, a no brainer if you plan to use USB or value DSD support in future. If you own LCD3 or HD800 headphones and use a PC/laptop as your primary playback device, I very highly recommend this Bryston stack.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,007 of 2,450
Thanks Nick,
The BDA-2 XMOS USB conversion does sound like a no-brainer
It would be nice company for my BHA

beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,011 of 2,450
Dont mean to be a dick, but perhaps these posts need to be in a thread of their own as they are a different topic.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #1,013 of 2,450
Reviews of the BHA-1 are fine, but I saw an update to this thread only to find it was about a DAC instead.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #1,015 of 2,450
If there isn't a BHA-1 appreciation thread, I think we should create one. It brought a world of joy to me and made me appreciate solid state again.

I do have one question about the connectors on the front. The single-ended 6.3mm connector is a strange fish... It looks to have some sort of suspension that makes the headphone plug more loose. What do you guys think of this?

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #1,016 of 2,450
This thread and a totally separate Bryston thread would not be active at all.  Maybe just rename this thread to Bryston Gear unite that way the thread would be more active and you can keep all Bryston talk here.  

I find it great to come to this thread and read about "all" things Bryston..  Better and more conversations would happen and it would keep this thread more active.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,017 of 2,450
Quote:
This thread and a totally separate Bryston thread would not be active at all.  Maybe just rename this thread to Bryston Gear unite that way the thread would be more active and you can keep all Bryston talk here.  

I find it great to come to this thread and read about "all" things Bryston..  Better and more conversations would happen and it would keep this thread more active.

+1....Individually they would be slow traffic threads...

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,018 of 2,450
+1 for "Bryston headphone amps and more"-thread :)
Quote:

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #1,019 of 2,450
Well a headphone amp is only as good as the source feeding it. The Bryston DAC with async USB is most likely a very formidable unit. Had it been available when I got my Ayre I would have certainly auditioned it at home.

I for one have heard the BHA-1 amp with dCS gear and it sounded great, of course.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #1,020 of 2,450
Quote:
Well a headphone amp is only as good as the source feeding it. The Bryston DAC with async USB is most likely a very formidable unit. Had it been available when I got my Ayre I would have certainly auditioned it at home.

I for one have heard the BHA-1 amp with dCS gear and it sounded great, of course.

Totally agreed. Just as it was with my previous Violectric rig (V800 feeding V100 via XLR) and my current one (BDA-2 feeding BHA-1 via XLR, whereby I had the V800 coupled with the BHA-1 before buying the BDA-2), I feel as though the DAC's I've chosen have made an equally, if not greater, difference to the final sound. And believe in cables/interconnects or not, this was all done with some really cheap/basic or stock stuff.

If anything, I hate how this setup has great synergy with both LCD3s and HD800s. I'm struggling to stay away from buying a pair of HD800s :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back