New headphone + amp selection help.
Aug 1, 2006 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Silverturtle

New Head-Fier
Hello, this is my first post here, so bear with me!

I am currently in the process of picking the components for my new computer rig, and have about $220 to spend on my headphones and possibly an amp. I am getting the X-Fi sound card if that changes anything.

I would use them mostly for online gaming (Counter-Strike), but also some classical music recording and listening. But I would like their strengths to cater to gaming, as opposed to music. I currently own the Audio Technica ATH-M2X headphones, and aren't that happy with them. They sound very piercing to the ears in the treble and are extremely flimsy.

I have never owned a high-end highphone, so I look foward to this. I don't really have an opinion on the open or closed headphone decision, though most people go with a closed headphones for games. Either will be fine with me.

Hopefully, the headphone would have a good soundstage so I can tell the direction of a player, and good detail. I can go a little over that $220 budget for the whole system, but would prefer not to unless it would warrant substantial increases.

My experience with high-end headphones is pretty much limited to trying the Bose Triports at the store, which was quite impressive I might add.

Thanks for your anticipated help!

P.S. I don't want a headset, so no mics.

Aug 1, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 8
I can't really speak to gaming on them, but the Senn HD-580s have a great soundstage for music especially considering you can get a used pair for ~$100. If you went that rout then you could afford a pretty good amp either a Little Dot II, PA2V2, or something like that depending on if you wanted to go portable or not.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhatusc
I can't really speak to gaming on them, but the Senn HD-580s have a great soundstage for music especially considering you can get a used pair for ~$100. If you went that rout then you could afford a pretty good amp either a Little Dot II, PA2V2, or something like that depending on if you wanted to go portable or not.

Noted. How are the following in comparison for gaming:

Sennheiser HD280Pro

BeyerDynamic DT660

BeyerDynamic DT880

Sennheiser HD595

Sennheiser HD555

Audio Technica A/AD (Either) 500, 700, 900

Grados SR80

Grados SR125

Grados SR225

All those headphones are within my budget, not including an amp however. Take that into account. Please share your thoughts.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverturtle
Noted. How are the following in comparison for gaming:

Grados SR80

Grados SR125

Grados SR225

IMO Grados aren't going to be good for soundstage for gaming. They're great for music but aside from the very high end the soundstage is generally pretty small (C-Pads improve the soundstage but hurt your budget).

Ant

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 8
If you don't like brightness a Grado might not be the best can for you. Instead, try one of the Sennheisers. The HD-580 is in your budget ($150 or so) and is an awfully good deal. You can use them for gaming and they will also be good for music.

Since you're building a new PC, consider one of these for your amp:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...odlist=froogle

I have one, and it comes in black, too. It's not bad, especially considering that it's only $50. It fits into a 5.25" bay in your computer and runs off your PC's power supply. Nice aluminum face, and it uses a 12AU7 tube. Easily replaceable and it will give you that nice, warm tube sound you've read about. Again, it's not the best out there, but it will fit your budget, fit in your computer, and sound awfully good for fifty bucks.

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 8
How would the Shure E500's that just came out be for gaming? I understand they are above my budget though. But I could justify the extra if they didn't require an amp and sounded a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back