New Headphone advice for very total newbie :-)
Oct 13, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply however still unable to locate new post. Near top left you say, all I see there is Head- Fi's Sponsors (premier sponsors bolded) Maybe we get a weird edition in the UK.

Is anyone smart enough to do a "screen print" and highlight where that ******* button is?

perhaps you are in want of the "Reply" button? or are you wanting to start your own thread?

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #32 of 39
Obviously I don't mean the reply button otherwise you wouldn't have had anything to read, to reply to. Yes, I want to start my own topic, that's why I'm searching for the "new post" button.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously I don't mean the reply button otherwise you wouldn't have had anything to read, to reply to. Yes, I want to start my own topic, that's why I'm searching for the "new post" button.

Click here to get back to the headphones forum...

1223953778-photo1-medium-77kb.jpg

Then click here to start a new thread...

1223953807-photo2-medium-80kb.jpg

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #34 of 39
Sorry, I have been thinking about this and just can't get my head around it.

Why do I need a DAC/headphone amp to go between my PC and headphones? When I already have a $1500 receiver from Marantz there already?

Are you saying that the sound will be better if I connect my PC to a DAC using optical/digital/analogue than connecting my PC to my receiver using the same?

I can understand getting an amp for the Stax headphones as they are slightly different. I just cant understand why my MArantz headphone socket isn't good enough for other types of headphones?

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #35 of 39
oh that might be good enough as an amp but if you were going say PC>dac> ( ) > headphones then you would need an amp. but if your reciver has enough grunt to push those higher ohm dynamics then by all means use the reciver.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #36 of 39
Ok, I am now gone from thinking about spending less than 300 to spending crazy money on a system.
beyersmile.png

What do all think of

Beyerdynamic Headzone Pro

I have been reading about it and it looks very impressive. Or do you think that it is too much for too little and that a stax system like you mentioned already will be better?

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by melmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do I need a DAC/headphone amp to go between my PC and headphones? When I already have a $1500 receiver from Marantz there already?

Your Marantz should be good enough to drive most headphones. The thing with using a dedicated external DAC is because the output from most soundcards leaves alot to be desired. This has nothing to do with your marantz, you feed the marantz rubbish, it will still give you rubbish in the end.

This is where the DAC comes in. It converts the music from digital bits to analogue much cleaner then most soundcards, being external, it can isolate itself from voltage spikes or other similar problems that may ruin the signal.

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #38 of 39
yes i agree with above post. a dac will be your best choice for upgradeing your source. as for headphones its all up to what your looking for. stax have quality and seperation and soundstage and detail but aprently can be a little lacking on the bottom end in quantity but what you do get is extremely clear and extends. where dynamics can give you that punch because of the excursion but may not have the detail and quality of the stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back