New HE400i driver/housing design or just a mixup with HE400s drivers?
Dec 24, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #46 of 69
  got another message from HiFiMan that I guess was from somebody in the engineering or design team or who has more product knowledge or something (had previously been speaking to customer service who was asking questions for me, but she didn't really know anything about the headphones herself):

Basically confirmed that the change was made to improve clarity and openness and reduce weight a bit.

Wow, good job getting to the bottom of this! Coming from K7xx they do feel like a big difference in soundstage, so much so I debated my "upgrade". I think I just need to get used to something on a more normal level and not so exaggerated. I also thought bass quantity would be similar but better quality on the 400i. Definitely less bass but better quality. I'm also running my new 400i(b)'s through m9xx and can't tell the slightest difference between the 4 DAC filters. Are my ears that untrained I can't tell any difference?!

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #47 of 69
I have a set of the new ones with the new 2.5mm jacks that I think I may be posting in the next couple of days. I am leaning towards keeping the LCD-X. As far as the Amazon sellers go, you can send them a question asking if they have the new plugs.

I actually went LCD-X to new 400i​, but I was searching for my happy medium for $ value. Obviously LCD-X is better in virtually every regard but considering the recent cost difference, it's certainly diminishing returns.

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #48 of 69
Wow, good job getting to the bottom of this! Coming from K7xx they do feel like a big difference in soundstage, so much so I debated my "upgrade". I think I just need to get used to something on a more normal level and not so exaggerated. I also thought bass quantity would be similar but better quality on the 400i. Definitely less bass but better quality. I'm also running my new 400i(b)'s through m9xx and can't tell the slightest difference between the 4 DAC filters. Are my ears that untrained I can't tell any difference?!

I think there's a misconception that the four filters are supposed to "sound different". They fix problems with certain music and certain setups. Filters 1&3 fix issues with highly compressed pop music with a lot of treble which causes aliasing distortion. Filters 3&4 fix issues with intermodulation that can happen if you use the grace in front of another amp, especially a tube amp. If you aren't having aliasing or intermodulation issues, they should be virtually indistinguishable.

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #49 of 69
I think I ever so slightly prefer my older pair because of the lingering decay due to the reduced sensation of airiness. I'm sure some people will prefer that slightly faster punch on the newer version. I'll likely sell the newer one after a long cable I ordered arrives. But if you have one and are wondering around the other: don't worry much about the difference.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #50 of 69
I think I ever so slightly prefer my older pair because of the lingering decay due to the reduced sensation of airiness. I'm sure some people will prefer that slightly faster punch on the newer version. I'll likely sell the newer one after a long cable I ordered arrives. But if you have one and are wondering around the other: don't worry much about the difference.

That's very interesting. I crave speed in my headphones so it is very interesting to see someone else that likes a bit longer decay. What kind of music do you listen to?

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #51 of 69
That's very interesting. I crave speed in my headphones so it is very interesting to see someone else that likes a bit longer decay. What kind of music do you listen to?

It's probably because I really like the sensation of being surrounded by and enveloped in the performance and the slower decay heightens that experience. It's like being in a sensory deprivation chamber with just you and the music. The decay was most notable with Adele's voice on her new album 25 (which is surprisingly well produced; it really highlights differences in headphones as I compare them). Usually I listen to hip hop and electro like Aphex Twin but female vocals sound great on these. You?

Something else that sounds really good is the album Kid A by Radiohead. The meandering portions of Everything In Its Right Place are haunting with both the 400i and the 325e.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #52 of 69
It's probably because I really like the sensation of being surrounded by and enveloped in the performance and the slower decay heightens that experience. It's like being in a sensory deprivation chamber with just you and the music. The decay was most notable with Adele's voice on her new album 25 (which is surprisingly well produced; it really highlights differences in headphones as I compare them). Usually I listen to hip hop and electro like Aphex Twin but female vocals sound great on these. You?

Something else that sounds really good is the album Kid A by Radiohead. The meandering portions of Everything In Its Right Place are haunting with both the 400i and the 325e.

I listen to all kinds of music, whatever is good:) Adel's new album is well recorded I agree. 

I like the sharp and definite placement of individual sounds that the short decay on the 400i gives me. This is especially true with faster genres like metal and some electronic music. I like Aphex Twin on my 400i, but I will try it on my thx00 now that you mention it, as it has a slower decay (more enveloping feel).

IMO, lots of radiohead is great for testing headphones. Generally good recordings and their music is complex and discrete enough to get a sense of how a headphone can deal with each segment of the frequency spectrum.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #55 of 69
E-MU 0404 USB as the source and a Schiit Magni 2 amp. I'll have a Vali 2 sometime soon.

would like impression of Vali2 with HE-400i, my son wants a tube amp but needs to be small since he is living in a small apartment and still in college so needs to be on the cheaper side.

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #56 of 69
I actually went LCD-X to new 400i​, but I was searching for my happy medium for $ value. Obviously LCD-X is better in virtually every regard but considering the recent cost difference, it's certainly diminishing returns.

Can you tell me what a major difference between 400 abd 400i? I owned 400 before but had to sell it cuz it was not as good as I expected.

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #57 of 69
Can you tell me what a major difference between 400 abd 400i? I owned 400 before but had to sell it cuz it was not as good as I expected.

Thanks!

400 is very v shaped. 400i is more neutral. 400i is technically a better headphone but 400 bass can be a lot of fun.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #58 of 69
Yeah the 400 is a bit more V-shaped but the lower mids are pretty forward, more than the 400i that's for sure. I still have my 400 (which I'm selling) so I did a good comparison and I think the 400i is quite a bit better. The only thing the 400 has over the 400i is bass impact with more thump but I think the quality is about the same.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #59 of 69
I got a chance to try both the HE400i with the different housing designs (metal plate and without). I have to say that without the metal plate, I can hear myself talk without it being muffled when I wear the headphones. I love the new open feeling and overall, the soundstage is a bit wider without the plate.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #60 of 69
  I got a chance to try both the HE400i with the different housing designs (metal plate and without). I have to say that without the metal plate, I can hear myself talk without it being muffled when I wear the headphones. I love the new open feeling and overall, the soundstage is a bit wider without the plate.

yes, I got to try this recently as well, and that was my experience.  It certainly feels more open.  To me the new version seemed more resolving (old version seemed to have a bit of ringing that the new one didin't).  The difference was certainly subtle, but was definitely there.  I could immediately tell which was which when listening to them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back