New HE400i driver/housing design or just a mixup with HE400s drivers?
Jan 21, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #61 of 69
I tried both for around the week. When I got my first model from the black friday sale was the old housing version (came with a scratch on the metal), I was really impressed. But once I got the replacement, I have to say the new one is better. It's not super noticeable, but the sound feels a bit more airy and flows a bit better (the old housing feels a little closer to a closed headphone than an open one). Overall, I appreciate the change, but even when I asked the support that gave me the replacements that they were different, they replied there were only 2 models (old connector and new 2.5mm connector). Wish they documented the change.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #62 of 69
  I tried both for around the week. When I got my first model from the black friday sale was the old housing version (came with a scratch on the metal), I was really impressed. But once I got the replacement, I have to say the new one is better. It's not super noticeable, but the sound feels a bit more airy and flows a bit better (the old housing feels a little closer to a closed headphone than an open one). Overall, I appreciate the change, but even when I asked the support that gave me the replacements that they were different, they replied there were only 2 models (old connector and new 2.5mm connector). Wish they documented the change.

ha, yes, it was kind of funny.  The marketing and customer service people didn't even know about the backplate change.  To this day the HE400i page says that the connector is the only change that has been made.  I had to show them pictures of the old and new one and then they contacted their product team who confirmed it.

Are you saying that your old model had the 2.5mm connector, but also had the backplate?  Or you originally got the twist connector and backplate on black friday (with a scratch) and then changed them out for the new 2.5mm no backplate version?

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #63 of 69

ha, yes, it was kind of funny.  The marketing and customer service people didn't even know about the backplate change.  To this day the HE400i page says that the connector is the only change that has been made.  I had to show them pictures of the old and new one and then they contacted their product team who confirmed it.

Are you saying that your old model had the 2.5mm connector, but also had the backplate?  Or you originally got the twist connector and backplate on black friday (with a scratch) and then changed them out for the new 2.5mm no backplate version?

I went from 2.5mm backplate to 2.5mm no backplate

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #64 of 69
  I went from 2.5mm backplate to 2.5mm no backplate

oh wow, that's the only time I've heard of the 2.5mm with a backplate.  I had been operating under the assumption that the backplate removal happened simultaneous with the the connector change.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #65 of 69

oh wow, that's the only time I've heard of the 2.5mm with a backplate.  I had been operating under the assumption that the backplate removal happened simultaneous with the the connector change.

I don't think I'm mistaken that my 2.5mm had a backplate. I never extensively checked, but I do remember that there was a audible difference after I got the replacement. I remember trying to talk with the headphones on to see how muffled it was, and I definitely remember that my voice was pretty dampened compared to the time when I tried with the new replacement. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #66 of 69
  I don't think I'm mistaken that my 2.5mm had a backplate. I never extensively checked, but I do remember that there was a audible difference after I got the replacement. I remember trying to talk with the headphones on to see how muffled it was, and I definitely remember that my voice was pretty dampened compared to the time when I tried with the new replacement. 

Interesting.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were a handful that had 2.5mm but no backplate (or vice versa), as the changes don't directly have anything to do with one another, they just seem to have happened at nearly the same time.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back