New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Aug 25, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #391 of 425
Frequency response for S/N 40994:

I've also owned HD800 S/N 654 since 2009 and the bass definitely looks flatter on that:

I haven't been able to listen to the new HD800 yet (no headphone listening allowed due to operation on neck!) but will be intrigued to do the comparison. Rest of system is Benchmark DAC2 and HDVA600 with Sennheiser balanced cable, also have the grey Cardas cable balanced but won't have that back for a couple of months.

Cheers.. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #392 of 425

I've also owned HD800 S/N 654 since 2009 and the bass definitely looks flatter on that:

I haven't been able to listen to the new HD800 yet (no headphone listening allowed due to operation on neck!) but will be intrigued to do the comparison. Rest of system is Benchmark DAC2 and HDVA600 with Sennheiser balanced cable, also have the grey Cardas cable balanced but won't have that back for a couple of months.

Cheers.. 

Cheers Marky Mark; I had a neck fracture year's ago and am still bothered by it. I got by with the older Audeze Lcd-3's but the newer Fazor version was just to heavy. The HD800's are beautifully light and I doubt I would ever consider another. Good luck with the pain and be blessed with the HD800's.

Ciao.

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #393 of 425
beerchug.gif

Will report back with my impressions on old vs new HD800 when I'm recovered. Am currently restricted to Etymotic ER4's for listening duties!

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #394 of 425

Cheers.. 

I havent thought about this much untill now.
But it correlates to what I have experienced my model seeming to more easily produce subbass when pushed lowder volumes than two other units friends that are older.
Very small difference but there..

Edit:
For some reason, hard-wiring the unit makes it much more noticable.
For some reason, the removal of the stock connectors made bass more pronounced.

My only guess is a change in impedance, or that I was testing on 2 tube amps which may be sensitive to impedance changes..

Edit2:
Woops I forgot that it didnt matter which amp because I also tested on the LIO which is solid state, whith same effects..

Edit:3
To get an idea, the difference noted was less than 3db before hardwiring, so slightly verifiable but still negligible in overall music listening.
In other words, no big deal.

After hard wiring it was more than 3db & easily noticable and worthwhile to those who like to have a bit more bottom end sub bass.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #395 of 425
I received a refurbished HD800 from authorized dealer Crutchfield and the SN is 34xxx. Which year is it?

The headphone looks fine and I find no scratch but there are some dust on the ear pad. And the outer box was torn but still in one piece. A new sticker with bar code is covering the original UPC code and serial number at left bottom corner of the outer box and the new sticker is also torn to make its serial number visible. Outer box also has a sticker labeling as Refurbished. The plastic bag containing 3 booklets of manual looks old. I have no idea how this phone had been used. Somehow I do not get the excitement of receiving a new toy
confused.gif
 I had bought the Sennheiser RS220 new from Crutchfield and the phone and charging docks are covered with plastic for protection. And this refurbished HD800 is naked laying down in the box with cable attached. There is only one piece of sponge covering the cable but phone itself has no cover on its top. No protection of any kinds at all. I would think Factory Refurbished items still should look pretty new and shinnying. It looks more like a returned item from customer to store. Is this normal? Please reply if you had ever bought refurbished one. Or how the new one look like? What does it include? I had bought other refurbished electronics before and they all looked like new and shinny.

I haven't tried it yet and I don't have a good DAC/Amp and will not have one for at least a year. I will first use it with the NuForce  icon HDP.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #397 of 425
Einfinity camera on eBay is selling the hd 800 for $1109.00 new. Comes from China w/ warranty.

Will this be different from models sold in other countries? Like Nikon lens, each country has different serial number and carries different warranty and Nikon service does not fix so called gray market items.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #398 of 425
Einfinity camera on eBay is selling the hd 800 for $1109.00 new. Comes from China w/ warranty.

No chance in hell I would take that gamble especially coming from China.  I can't imagine they are an authorized Sennheiser dealer and their "warranty" is likely through them.  Good luck and have fun dealing with that if you live in the US and try to submit a warranty claim to a Chinese company.

Why even take the risk when you can purchase direct from Dr. Jan Meier of Meier Audio in Germany, a long time Head-Fi sponsor, at a price very close to this?  Seems like a no brainer win win to me.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #399 of 425
B
No chance in hell I would take that gamble especially coming from China.  I can't imagine they are an authorized Sennheiser dealer and their "warranty" is likely through them.  Good luck and have fun dealing with that if you live in the US and try to submit a warranty claim to a Chinese company.

Why even take the risk when you can purchase direct from Dr. Jan Meier of Meier Audio in Germany, a long time Head-Fi sponsor, at a price very close to this?  Seems like a no brainer win win to me.
been dealing with them for years and they have come through on everything they said they would. I've dealt with them personally, while you sir are speaking out the side of you neck

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #400 of 425
B
been dealing with them for years and they have come through on everything they said they would. I've dealt with them personally, while you sir are speaking out the side of you neck

Oh hey look at that.  Guess what company is NOT on the Sennheiser Authorized Dealers List?

Yup.  No Efinity, e-infinity, e-we promise to warranty your stuff, or whatever the hell they want to call themselves.  I'll throw you a cookie for "dealing with them for years" but good luck to you and anyone else that rolls the dice getting Sennheiser to honor the warranty.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/authorized-dealers

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #401 of 425
How did you guys get the certificate of frequency response for your phone? That's will be different from the chart on the manual for sure. Is there any fee involved?

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #403 of 425
I also auditioned a HD800 a few years ago, did not like them at all... because I mainly listen to a lot of hip-hop, I felt it was lacking bass. recently I decided to try them again, and I was pretty much shocked by the result, I can actually listen hip-hop on these, there is more than enough bass, very balanced and controlled. it doesn't seem to have the "spiky" treble either.

my serial number is 41 xxx

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #404 of 425
I got my replacement HD800 with SN 39xxx. Which year was that? I paired with HDVA 600. But the DAC is NuForce Icon HDP. I don't know how much this DAC has dragged the whole setup down.

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #405 of 425
Hmm, this thread had me rummaging through old emails. Here's mine:

I am under the assumption that this chart is just the Frequency Response of your individual HD800 when compared to the Senn's reference, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back