New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Jun 8, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #301 of 425
what serial number do you guys consider new.

I just bought a 2nd hand pair of HD800....the serial number is 19XXX.....In no way is my treble overly bright....not at all?

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #302 of 425
  what serial number do you guys consider new.

I just bought a 2nd hand pair of HD800....the serial number is 19XXX.....In no way is my treble overly bright....not at all?

I think we are up to approx 26*** now. But don't fret about how old or new they are. They are all the same apart from normal manufacturing differences. 

No pattern has emerged in regards to differences between old and new. 

Just enjoy them guys and lets keep ageism to the politically incorrect crowd :wink:

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #303 of 425
  I think we are up to approx 26*** now. But don't fret about how old or new they are. They are all the same apart from normal manufacturing differences. 

Just enjoy them guys and lets keep ageism to the politically incorrect crowd :wink:

Will do
biggrin.gif

I am really digging them

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #304 of 425

I just got mine today and the serial number is 3077X. 

At the time of this writing, I have only been playing my 5th song and forgive me but I am not particularly blown away by the sound. Is it normal? I feel like I blew away several hundred dollars for a marginal improvement in sound over Shure SRH840. The open configuration does make the soundtage more airy but other than that, there's nothing anything special.

Could I expect any more improvement from the sound? My tube amp has not reached 30 hours yet and along with the burn in period of both the amp and the headphone, could I expect a remarkable improvement in the future? What percentage do you think will the improvement be?

I must say that they are like speakers. They hardly make me feel I am wearing a headphone at all. They don't touch my ears (pinnae). They are so comfortable and so light.

I'll update if I notice some improvement.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #305 of 425

At the time of this writing, I have only been playing my 5th song and forgive me but I am not particularly blown away by the sound. Is it normal? I feel like I blew away several hundred dollars for a marginal improvement in sound over Shure SRH840. The open configuration does make the soundtage more airy but other than, that there's nothing anything special.

Could I expect any more improvement from the sound? My tube amp has not reached 30 hours yet and along with the burn in period of both the amp and the headphone, could I expect a remarkable improvement in the future? What percentage do you think will the improvement be?

I must say that they are like speakers. They hardly make me feel I am wearing a headphone at all. They don't touch my ears (pinnae). They are so comfortable and so light.

Just keep listening and eventually the HD800 moment will come. Once it does you won't hear any other headphone quite the same ever again.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #306 of 425
Just keep listening and eventually the HD800 moment will come. Once it does you won't hear any other headphone quite the same ever again.

This^

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #307 of 425

At the time of this writing, I have only been playing my 5th song and forgive me but I am not particularly blown away by the sound. Is it normal? I feel like I blew away several hundred dollars for a marginal improvement in sound over Shure SRH840. The open configuration does make the soundtage more airy but other than that, there's nothing anything special.

Amp/dac/source? Garbage in = garbage out....especially with the HD800s. 
smile.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #308 of 425
Hey folks, need some help getting a better sound out of my HD800s 

I'm currently using a Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo.
The DAC is top shelf pro grade as far as I know.

It's headphone output specifications are as follows:
Jack Type
1⁄4” Female TRS Stereo (unbalanced)

Frequency Response
 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.1 dB

Dynamic Range (A–weighting)
113 dB

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A–weighting)
113 dB

Channel Separation
Greater than 110 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise
 –101 dBFS

Stereo Level Balance
±0.11 dB

Output Impedance
10 Ohms

Output Gain Range
–INF to 0 dB

Maximum Output Power 
80 milliwatts into 600 Ohms

I don't have the option of trying different amps to see if I can get a better amplifier for the HD800s at a reasonable price.
I'll be buying sight unseen/unheard.

What's the best non DAC desktop headphone amp for under 300$ to go with these cans? 
Should I just wait till I can afford the sennheiser amp?

I love the sound I'm already hearing but I'd like to know if there's more I can do with around 300$ 

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #309 of 425

Depends on what you were expecting I guess.

A "huuuuge" difference? Not really, unless what you started with was truly horrible.
Did you want "more" bass/mids/treble that simply isn't there in the master? Then HD800 is not for you.

Many of my friends actually prefer their "beats"-type cans to my HD800, not knowing what it is or its reputation.
- And that's perfectly fine, let people enjoy their taste in music.

You might want to demo cans in this price range before you buy them... and as multiple people have pointed out, the entire chain is important, source/dac/amp.

HeadFi is a game of diminishing returns :wink:

That said I'm really happy with mine, and I still give them nearly 50% listening time vs. the SR-009 :)

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #310 of 425
  Hey folks, need some help getting a better sound out of my HD800s 

I'm currently using a Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo.
The DAC is top shelf pro grade as far as I know.

It's headphone output specifications are as follows:
Jack Type
1⁄4” Female TRS Stereo (unbalanced)

Frequency Response
 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.1 dB

Dynamic Range (A–weighting)
113 dB

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A–weighting)
113 dB

Channel Separation
Greater than 110 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise
 –101 dBFS

Stereo Level Balance
±0.11 dB

Output Impedance
10 Ohms

Output Gain Range
–INF to 0 dB

Maximum Output Power 
80 milliwatts into 600 Ohms

I don't have the option of trying different amps to see if I can get a better amplifier for the HD800s at a reasonable price.
I'll be buying sight unseen/unheard.

What's the best non DAC desktop headphone amp for under 300$ to go with these cans? 
Should I just wait till I can afford the sennheiser amp?

I love the sound I'm already hearing but I'd like to know if there's more I can do with around 300$ 

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Matrix M-stage would be my recommendation. Other say that the Schiit Vali is a good and cheap starting point. You could go for a little Dot MKIII but then there is the price of finding good tubes to replace the cheap stock ones...    

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #314 of 425

Please don't say that. People have warned about how treacherous this path could easily become and I still have years of mortgage to pay. Haha.

Sorry, then I'd just run from this place. Head-fi can be pretty hard on one's wallet. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back